Journal of a Solitude by May Sarton

Journal of a Solitude (original 1973; edition 1992)

by May Sarton

Title:Journal of a Solitude
Authors:May Sarton
Info:W. W. Norton & Company (1992), Paperback, 208 pages

Journal of a Solitude by May Sarton (1973)

@ Nelson, NH. her home
depression — her need of alone time —

"I am here alone for the first time in weeks," May Sarton begins this book, "to take up my 'real' life again at last. That is what is strange—that friends, even passionate love,are not my real life, unless there is time alone in which to explore what is happening or what has happened." In this journal, she says, "I hope to break through into the rough, rocky depths,to the matrix itself. There is violence there and anger never resolved. My need to be alone is balanced against my fear of what will happen when suddenly I enter the huge empty silence if I cannot find support there."
  christinejoseph | Apr 15, 2016 |
There were lots of things here that really interested me, from Sarton's analysis of her own often turbulent feelings to her comments on poetry, on women's lives, and on her meetings with Carolyn Heilbrun. Overall, I didn't enjoy it as much as I did Plant Dreaming Deep -- both, I think, show the good and bad of living alone, but there was something less satisfying about this one -- it felt more like something she set out to write than like something with its own integrity.
  rmaitzen | Feb 7, 2014 |
perhaps a more difficult person than she portrayed herself. i empathized about gardening. the results are so great, the animals such a hateful nuisance, the work so tiring and sore-inducing that winter is a great reprieve. i often wondered why i persevered. ( )
  mahallett | Mar 14, 2013 |
I would have enjoyed this volume more had I not first read the Sarton biography by Peters, I think. Peters was so unforgiving of Sarton's human failings.

This volume doesn't minimize those shortcomings altogether, but they nevertheless remained always in the background as I read. I will read another volume, but not for a while. Too many other books stacked by my bed. ( )
  kaulsu | Jul 20, 2012 |
A journal that is looking for honesty. Sarton is facing life in general, growing into her 60s, and trying to understand the most precious things around her. Friends, writers, lovers...mix up in a book that turns into a healing process. "One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious" in Jung's words (p.110). Worth reading for the peace of mind as well as the awareness that we are deeply rooted in the consciousness of our past. ( )
1 vote parker793 | Jun 11, 2011 |
For Eric Swenson
September 15th: Begin here.

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,787,565 books! | Top bar: Always visible