Changes by Jim Butcher

Info:Orbit (2011), Paperback, 576 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Urban Fantasy, Dresden Files, 11 in 11

Changes by Jim Butcher

Ill Wind by Rachel Caine (Anonymous user)

English (105)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (107)
[Cross-posted to Knite Writes]

Wow! What a great installment of the series!

Jim Butcher really ups the ante with this book. Instead of letting the series stagnate at any particular status quo, Butcher drives up the stakes to an all-time high for Harry and introduces major shifts in the story that will have ripples on every single sequel to come. This book isn’t called “Changes” for nothing — it’s a MAJOR turning point in the series that reshuffles nearly every aspect of Harry’s life in order to prepare for the descent into the much darker and far-reaching plot points that follow in subsequent books.

This book is really what the series so far has been leading up to in its entirety. The Red Court issues from Grave Peril finally come full circle. Mab’s continual involvement in Harry’s life finally reaches a point of no return. Harry’s familial backstory is finally explored to a much higher degree than it has been in books past, giving the reader a better understanding of the family-related issues and events that led to Harry’s life becoming what it has been so far.

This installment takes characters from every single other book and brings them together to form a complex plot, where Harry’s previous escapades determine who he can turn when for help, who gives it, who doesn’t, and who ultimately impacts the book’s finale. Butcher doesn’t leave anyone (or anything) out, tying together Harry’s various relationships to create the most precarious situation the wizard has ever encountered. And one that will have permanent effects on his life for the rest of the series.

Some people have criticized Butcher for turning away from the idea of “wizard PI” as the series has progressed, especially with this book, which diverges so far from that original premise that the series can never return there. But, personally, I wouldn’t fault Butcher that — because, from the very beginning of Storm Front, Butcher has been slowly but surely building an overarching plot that has always been greater than simply “wizard PI.” And I’ve been invested in that promise of something greater for the entire series; for me, Changes is where that promise finally begins to develop. From this point on, the Dresden Files is a whole different monster. And I look forward to getting to know that monster in the subsequent books.

So, in my opinion, Changes is awesome. An excellent installment of the series that keeps things fresh and new while bringing together ideas from Butcher’s complex, multi-book world-building in a way that creates a story environment similar to but different enough from any we’ve seen so far that the book is propelled to a whole other level while still retaining the core aspects that make it a novel of the Dresden Files.

Great book, all around! ( )
  TherinKnite | Jul 28, 2014 |
A bit slower than other Dresden Files books, but very emotionally-intense. Forgive the cheesiness of this statement, but this book took the series to a new, deeper place. I read this months ago, and thinking about the events that occurred can still move me.

And it was nice to be given a gift that should be a "truism" of urban fiction - When something incredibly unbelievable is about to happen, the universe will conspire to prevent it! ( )
  drhapgood | Jul 27, 2014 |
I'd already read my print copy of Changes, but I really enjoy James Marsters' narration in this audio edition. I also note that this Recorded Books edition does not have a cover depicting Dresden wearing a hat, which most printed covers have, even after the character exclaims that he doesn't do hats in this one. ( )
  JalenV | Jun 5, 2014 |
Okay now the last story in [b:Side Jobs: Stories From the Dresden Files|7779059|Side Jobs Stories From the Dresden Files (The Dresden Files, #12.5)|Jim Butcher|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1269115846s/7779059.jpg|10351697] makes sense.
There was a LOT of things I loved about this installment.
Who knew that Harry could be qualified for the award of

I mean really?! Susan Rodrigiaz you B*&^h! You are just downright F^$@ing wrong! I had no effing clue that something like that was going to present itself into the series. The evolution of the series has been excellent. There was plenty of humor, action, and creatures features in this one. More more more!
Cheers and Happy Readings!

wickedshizuku | May 12, 2014 |
??Wow, Harryƒ?? This changes everything.ƒ? As the title suggests, Harry goes through some life-changing events in this book, starting with the first sentence and ending with the last. Heƒ??s got some really hard, almost impossible really, choices to make and he is not the same person at the end. Changes ends with the most awful cliffhanger, so make sure you have the next book, Ghost Story, ready to go. ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
This is book 13 of the series so the character and world building was done a long time ago with a masterpiece hand. What can I say? I’m a long-time Jim Butcher fan so my opinion is biased. Reading Changes has reminded me why I love reading Jim Butcher so much! The wry humour showing through the pages… non-stop suspense action chapter after chapter. The story telling quality is 5 out of 5, as per usual. So what new thing can I say about this book that I haven’t said already in previous Jim Butcher reviews? This book is obviously a pivotal point in the series, as aptly titled Changes. New developments in the story is emerging... And the ending was specifically designed to better torment die hard fans to having to wait for a year for the next installment…

Jim Butcherprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blue Moon PhotographyAuthor photographsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lundgren, RayCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGrath, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Simmons, JoieCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I answered the phone, and Susan Rodriguez said, “They’ve taken . . . ”
I'm not sure it's possible to manipulate someone with candor and truth.
I think you call that enlightenment.

Long ago, Susan Rodriquez was Harry Dresden's lover - until she was attacked by his enemies, leaving her caught between humanity and the relentless bloodlust of the vampiric Red Court. She disappeared to South America, where she could fight both her savage gift and those who cursed her with it. Now she needs Harry's help more than ever.

For the vengeful Duchess of the Red Court has discovered a secret Susan has long kept from everyone - including Harry - and she plans to use it. To prevail, Harry may have to unleash the full fury of his untapped power - and he may have no choice but to embrace the darkness within himself.

Because this time, he's fighting to save his child.

In the twelfth book of the series, Harry finds out he has a daughter and has to work with his former lover, Susan Rodriguez, to protect them both.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,613,505 books! | Top bar: Always visible