Changes by Jim Butcher

Authors:Jim Butcher
Info:Orbit (2011), Paperback, 576 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Urban Fantasy, Dresden Files, 11 in 11

Changes by Jim Butcher (Author)

Ill Wind by Rachel Caine (Anonymous user)

English (133)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  All (135)
I have to say that this is my overall favorite of the The Dresden Files books. It's hard to describe without giving away the good stuff about the story.

A lot of the favorite characters are back or either make a cameo appearance.

The title explains the whole book. Lots of things change in this book. And that's why I'm having a hard time writing the review. Sure, we have the usual action, things blowing up, and Harry making wisecracks when he probably shouldn't; but the nitty gritty of the book can't be discussed without giving things away. ( )
  wendithegray | May 1, 2017 |
I've read a bunch of these now, and they're pretty reliably entertaining. They all follow a similar formula, but that's part of what you expect (and want) from series like this. A good thing to throw in among more serious reading if you need something plot-driven and undemanding. ( )
  sinceyouasked | Mar 17, 2017 |
A very exciting book. Harry must rescue his kidnapped daughter.

Some favorite quotes:
Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others-even when there's not going to be anyone telling you what a hero you are.

One which is scarier evil or stupid -
"Stupid, Hoss. Every time. Only so many blackhearted villains in the world, and they only get uppity on occasion. Stupid's everywhere, every day." ( )
  nx74defiant | Mar 5, 2017 |
Harry Dresden finds out he has a daughter who happens to be missing. His passion to help a female in need propels him into a series of unfortunate, and dangerous events. Has Harry has bitten off more than he can chew?

I love all of the Harry Dresden files so far. Each one builds a little on the previous one and you dig a little deeper into Harry's life. With Harry's 'do what's right' attitude I cannot help but love him and hope he succeeds in each of his missions. Jim Butcher does a phenomenal job keeping the reader guessing and it was a struggle to put the book down.

This was the most challenging ending for me to take so far. Most of the Dresden Files have a sense of resolution at the end and this one really let me hanging. I did have the next book on hand and had to start it immediately!

Overall, I highly recommend this book to anyone who likes supernatural detective books. ( )
  TaylaF | Jan 17, 2017 |
This is the first novel by Jim Butcher that I've read, but I have to say I really enjoyed it. This is the 12th book in the series so I jumped right in the middle of it, but I never felt like I had to put it down and start at the beginning. This is fast paced, well written and entertaining. I reminded my in style of Kevin Hearn's Iron Druid series, with the similar setting of an almost modern day world mixed with magic and fantasy creatures. There's lots of action, heroism, sacrifice and a bit (not too much) of romance. A fun read and I'd read more of this series any time. ( )
  Karlstar | Jan 1, 2017 |
This is book 13 of the series so the character and world building was done a long time ago with a masterpiece hand. What can I say? I’m a long-time Jim Butcher fan so my opinion is biased. Reading Changes has reminded me why I love reading Jim Butcher so much! The wry humour showing through the pages… non-stop suspense action chapter after chapter. The story telling quality is 5 out of 5, as per usual. So what new thing can I say about this book that I haven’t said already in previous Jim Butcher reviews? This book is obviously a pivotal point in the series, as aptly titled Changes. New developments in the story is emerging... And the ending was specifically designed to better torment die hard fans to having to wait for a year for the next installment…

Butcher, JimAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lundgren, RayCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGrath, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Simmons, JoieCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I answered the phone, and Susan Rodriguez said, “They’ve taken our daughter.”
I'm not sure it's possible to manipulate someone with candor and truth.
I think you call that enlightenment.

Long ago, Susan Rodriquez was Harry Dresden's lover - until she was attacked by his enemies, leaving her caught between humanity and the relentless bloodlust of the vampiric Red Court. She disappeared to South America, where she could fight both her savage gift and those who cursed her with it. Now she needs Harry's help more than ever.

For the vengeful Duchess of the Red Court has discovered a secret Susan has long kept from everyone - including Harry - and she plans to use it. To prevail, Harry may have to unleash the full fury of his untapped power - and he may have no choice but to embrace the darkness within himself.

Because this time, he's fighting to save his child.

In the twelfth book of the series, Harry finds out he has a daughter and has to work with his former lover, Susan Rodriguez, to protect them both.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,197,024 books! | Top bar: Always visible