Changes by Jim Butcher

Info:Orbit (2011), Paperback, 576 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Urban Fantasy, Dresden Files, 11 in 11

Changes by Jim Butcher

2010 (30) audiobook (16) Chicago (52) detective (29) Dresden (32) Dresden Files (155) ebook (48) faerie (15) fantasy (266) fiction (137) hardcover (23) Harry Dresden (49) Jim Butcher (16) Kindle (23) magic (85) Mexico (21) mystery (74) novel (16) own (13) paranormal (26) read (23) read in 2010 (19) science fiction (17) series (39) sff (20) supernatural (33) to-read (27) urban fantasy (220) vampires (93) wizards (116)
    Ill Wind by Rachel Caine (Anonymous user)

English (101)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (103)
É??Wow, Harry√ā¬É?? This changes everything.√ā¬É?√ā¬Ě As the title suggests, Harry goes through some life-changing events in this book, starting with the first sentence and ending with the last. He√ā¬É??s got some really hard, almost impossible really, choices to make and he is not the same person at the end. Changes ends with the most awful cliffhanger, so make sure you have the next book, Ghost Story, ready to go. ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
All Harry Dresden's novels are pretty even in terms of quality. Sometimes I find some of them slightly more entertaining, and some - including this one - a little less. I thought it was a bit slow until the final battle, which was all action. ( )
  everfresh1 | Mar 24, 2014 |
***Warning: This review contains spoilers***

In order to rescue his daughter from Duchess Ariana of the Red Court of Vampires, Harry must call in favors from both allies and enemies alike, and is forced to make numerous life altering decisions that put his morality and strength of character to the test.

A well-written installment with just the right amount of wit and humor to balance out the gripping action and raw emotion of the plot. Harry’s internal struggles with the difficult choices that he must make leads to some of the most intense and compelling moments in the series.

While several story elements are a little on the predictable side, i.e, Dresden’s deal with Mab, Susan’s fate and Martin’s betrayal, there are others that shocked me to the core, such as the identity of Harry’s grandfather, Lea’s actions on Harry’s behalf and one very interesting member of the Grey Council. Regardless, it is clear that Butcher is extremely skilled at both plotting and misdirection.

On a final note, the book does end on a cliffhanger, but as I will be continuing with Ghost Story immediately, this is not as annoying as it might have been. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Feb 28, 2014 |
I like Harry Dresden. The books are fun. Mainly due to the narrative voice of Harry Dresden himself. I have tried other books in the "urban fantasy" genre and none of them can make the setting work. Jim Butcher throws every bot of mythical beast and monster you have ever head of into the mix and somehow manages to create a credible and enjoyable read held together by Harry's monologue and the characters' dialogue. ( )
  StigE | Feb 22, 2014 |
This was the best Dresden novel yet. Butcher's writing is getting better and better and the story just took a very interesting turn. ( )
  debbie.menzel | Feb 6, 2014 |
This is book 13 of the series so the character and world building was done a long time ago with a masterpiece hand. What can I say? I’m a long-time Jim Butcher fan so my opinion is biased. Reading Changes has reminded me why I love reading Jim Butcher so much! The wry humour showing through the pages… non-stop suspense action chapter after chapter. The story telling quality is 5 out of 5, as per usual. So what new thing can I say about this book that I haven’t said already in previous Jim Butcher reviews? This book is obviously a pivotal point in the series, as aptly titled Changes. New developments in the story is emerging... And the ending was specifically designed to better torment die hard fans to having to wait for a year for the next installment…

Jim Butcherprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I answered the phone, and Susan Rodriguez said, ‚ÄúThey‚Äôve taken . . . ‚ÄĚ
I'm not sure it's possible to manipulate someone with candor and truth.
I think you call that enlightenment.

Long ago, Susan Rodriquez was Harry Dresden's lover - until she was attacked by his enemies, leaving her caught between humanity and the relentless bloodlust of the vampiric Red Court. She disappeared to South America, where she could fight both her savage gift and those who cursed her with it. Now she needs Harry's help more than ever.

For the vengeful Duchess of the Red Court has discovered a secret Susan has long kept from everyone - including Harry - and she plans to use it. To prevail, Harry may have to unleash the full fury of his untapped power - and he may have no choice but to embrace the darkness within himself.

Because this time, he's fighting to save his child.

In the twelfth book of the series, Harry finds out he has a daughter and has to work with his former lover, Susan Rodriguez, to protect them both.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,446,708 books! | Top bar: Always visible