Changes : a novel of the Dresden files by…

Changes : a novel of the Dresden files (edition 2010)

by Jim Butcher

Member:damzlfly
Title:Changes : a novel of the Dresden files
Authors:Jim Butcher
Info:New York : Roc/New American Library, 2010.
Tags:ebook, urban fantasy, wizards, vampires

Changes (Dresden Files, Book 12) by Jim Butcher (Author)

Ill Wind by Rachel Caine (Anonymous user)

English (125)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (127)
Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant. This was just another fantastic read from Jim Butcher. I knew that they would save the little girl, didn't see Susans death coming and of course it was obvious that the Red King was never going to just hand Maggie over. Poor Harry, finds out that he has a daughter and has to give her up as being around him would be just to dangerous. I wanted to slap Susan for not telling Harry about Maggie much earlier. As for that ending I can't wait until April next year to find out who has shot Harry. ( )
  KarenDuff | Jun 1, 2016 |
Changes
4 Stars

***Warning: This review contains spoilers***

In order to rescue his daughter from Duchess Ariana of the Red Court of Vampires, Harry must call in favors from both allies and enemies alike, and is forced to make numerous life altering decisions that put his morality and strength of character to the test.

A well-written installment with just the right amount of wit and humor to balance out the gripping action and raw emotion of the plot. Harry’s internal struggles with the difficult choices that he must make leads to some of the most intense and compelling moments in the series.

While several story elements are a little on the predictable side, i.e, Dresden’s deal with Mab, Susan’s fate and Martin’s betrayal, there are others that shocked me to the core, such as the identity of Harry’s grandfather, Lea’s actions on Harry’s behalf and one very interesting member of the Grey Council. Regardless, it is clear that Butcher is extremely skilled at both plotting and misdirection.

On a final note, the book does end on a cliffhanger, but as I will be continuing with Ghost Story immediately, this is not as annoying as it might have been. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Jun 1, 2016 |
*SPOILERS*
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! This can't be!!! Harry and Murphy were finally about to get together!! Mr. Butcher I am not happy at this moment! OK. Now that I got that off my chest. It was a great book, though I'm not happy with the ending. I'm pretty desperate for the next book. I know there is the short story, but I just don't think it will be enough! It was very sad being with Harry while he had to kill Susan. I don't really care that she is dead. Never really liked her. The fact that she didn't tell Harry about Maggie just reaffirmed how much I don't like her. But anyway it was hard to read that. And the fact that Maggie exists at all!!!! Definitely a shocker right at the beginning. Murphy was freakin amazing in this book! I knew I loved her!!! Sanya was hilarious. :D Lea was also cracking me up, with her hopping up and down like a little kid at Christmas. When she turned the group into a bunch of dogs was just priceless. And then..... Mouse starts talking :D I can't believe that Harry accepted Mab's offer. I understand why but still.. This was probably my favorite book of the series so far. Which is saying something because I have really loved all of this series. I just hope that Harry isn't really dead. I'm stressing over the fact that the next book is called 'Ghost Story'. It was so close to them being together. It's all I want. lol ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |
A worthy conclusion to a lot of "loose ends" from earlier. I think this was the book I had been waiting for during the last two. I enjoyed the conclusive nature of a lot of factors... and then the end... luckily because I am reading these in sequence I have the next book to go onto immediately ( )
  Felicity-Smith | May 29, 2016 |
my favourite book so far of the series. going to be hard to top this one.
it felt like all things were coming to a full circle.
and just when you felt like things were going to be just fine, bam, Butcher does what he does best, set fire to it all.
only he can turn your world upside down in ONE page. probably not even a full page.
such a thrillingly sad book. ( )
  hmurya | May 1, 2016 |
This is book 13 of the series so the character and world building was done a long time ago with a masterpiece hand. What can I say? I’m a long-time Jim Butcher fan so my opinion is biased. Reading Changes has reminded me why I love reading Jim Butcher so much! The wry humour showing through the pages… non-stop suspense action chapter after chapter. The story telling quality is 5 out of 5, as per usual. So what new thing can I say about this book that I haven’t said already in previous Jim Butcher reviews? This book is obviously a pivotal point in the series, as aptly titled Changes. New developments in the story is emerging... And the ending was specifically designed to better torment die hard fans to having to wait for a year for the next installment…

Butcher, JimAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blue Moon PhotographyAuthor photographsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lundgren, RayCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGrath, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Simmons, JoieCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I answered the phone, and Susan Rodriguez said, “They’ve taken . . . ”
I'm not sure it's possible to manipulate someone with candor and truth.
I think you call that enlightenment.

Long ago, Susan Rodriquez was Harry Dresden's lover - until she was attacked by his enemies, leaving her caught between humanity and the relentless bloodlust of the vampiric Red Court. She disappeared to South America, where she could fight both her savage gift and those who cursed her with it. Now she needs Harry's help more than ever.

For the vengeful Duchess of the Red Court has discovered a secret Susan has long kept from everyone - including Harry - and she plans to use it. To prevail, Harry may have to unleash the full fury of his untapped power - and he may have no choice but to embrace the darkness within himself.

Because this time, he's fighting to save his child.

In the twelfth book of the series, Harry finds out he has a daughter and has to work with his former lover, Susan Rodriguez, to protect them both.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,737,483 books! | Top bar: Always visible