Changes : a novel of the Dresden files by…

Changes : a novel of the Dresden files (edition 2010)

by Jim Butcher

Member:damzlfly
Title:Changes : a novel of the Dresden files
Authors:Jim Butcher
Info:New York : Roc/New American Library, 2010.
Tags:ebook, urban fantasy, wizards, vampires

Changes by Jim Butcher (Author)

Ill Wind by Rachel Caine (Anonymous user)

English (129)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  All (131)
Harry Dresden finds out he has a daughter who happens to be missing. His passion to help a female in need propels him into a series of unfortunate, and dangerous events. Has Harry has bitten off more than he can chew?

I love all of the Harry Dresden files so far. Each one builds a little on the previous one and you dig a little deeper into Harry's life. With Harry's 'do what's right' attitude I cannot help but love him and hope he succeeds in each of his missions. Jim Butcher does a phenomenal job keeping the reader guessing and it was a struggle to put the book down.

This was the most challenging ending for me to take so far. Most of the Dresden Files have a sense of resolution at the end and this one really let me hanging. I did have the next book on hand and had to start it immediately!

Overall, I highly recommend this book to anyone who likes supernatural detective books. ( )
  TaylaF | Jan 17, 2017 |
This is the first novel by Jim Butcher that I've read, but I have to say I really enjoyed it. This is the 12th book in the series so I jumped right in the middle of it, but I never felt like I had to put it down and start at the beginning. This is fast paced, well written and entertaining. I reminded my in style of Kevin Hearn's Iron Druid series, with the similar setting of an almost modern day world mixed with magic and fantasy creatures. There's lots of action, heroism, sacrifice and a bit (not too much) of romance. A fun read and I'd read more of this series any time. ( )
  Karlstar | Jan 1, 2017 |
Changes
4 Stars

***Warning: This review contains spoilers***

In order to rescue his daughter from Duchess Ariana of the Red Court of Vampires, Harry must call in favors from both allies and enemies alike, and is forced to make numerous life altering decisions that put his morality and strength of character to the test.

A well-written installment with just the right amount of wit and humor to balance out the gripping action and raw emotion of the plot. Harry’s internal struggles with the difficult choices that he must make leads to some of the most intense and compelling moments in the series.

While several story elements are a little on the predictable side, i.e, Dresden’s deal with Mab, Susan’s fate and Martin’s betrayal, there are others that shocked me to the core, such as the identity of Harry’s grandfather, Lea’s actions on Harry’s behalf and one very interesting member of the Grey Council. Regardless, it is clear that Butcher is extremely skilled at both plotting and misdirection.

On a final note, the book does end on a cliffhanger, but as I will be continuing with Ghost Story immediately, this is not as annoying as it might have been. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
There's not a whole lot to say really, if you're still a Dresden fan at this point, it's great. Tightly plotted, draws heavily on all the wonderful continuity and world building done so far, and yes, the writing has come a long long way since the early books. I liked it, a lot.
Full review @ booklikes ( )
  krazykiwi | Aug 22, 2016 |
Note: I feel that Death Masks, Book 5, is where reading this series out of order starts to do you an injustice. This book does work as a stand alone to some extent, but you will get major spoilers for the previous books in the series and it also pulls in characters we have met before. So I recommend reading the previous books before you jump into this one.

Out of Harry’s past, Susan Rodriguez gives him a call, though it isn’t to swap the latest news of their lives. Their daughter, Maggie, has been taken by the Red Court vampires and Harry is ready to go on the war path. Harry will give up plenty in this book in order to save a child he has never met.

Way back on my review for Book 3, I said that’s when the series gets real and the ante was upped. Now, this is the book that showed me the author isn’t afraid to push that envelope to the breaking point. I had plenty of emotions on this one, even on the reread. Harry can take only so much abuse!

Susan, who is tainted with Red Court vampire bite but has held off the change all these years, flies into town with her sidekick, Martin (who shares the same affliction). They work with Harry, Thomas, and Murphy to dig up info on one of the leaders of the Red Court, Arianna Ortega. Harry soon learns that he’s got a pair of vampire assassins after him and they have some monstrous near-jaguar thing (which he calls the Ick) with them. The Ick quickly scraps his car and the assassins take out his office. It only gets more heated from there.

Harry calls in every favor owed him and then some in his hunt for info on his daughter’s location. He even burns a few bridges with the White Council of wizards in doing so. A handful of folks guess why this one human child is worth so much to him and all who know advise him to keep that very, very quiet. Meanwhile, Harry is advised to seek out some assistance from crime lord John Marcone, who points him to Monoc Securities. This is one of my favorite little parts of the book. I love that the author starts to pull in some deities as Harry gains in power.

The assassins aren’t done with Harry and he continues to lose things that matter to him. Eventually, he’s trapped between a rock and a hard place and he has to do something he never wanted to do. That was tough. It makes a great read and a great story but I also felt for Harry in that moment when he makes the decision.

The last quarter of the book is this long running battle full of individual triumphs and failures as Harry and his friends face off with the Red Court. It’s incredible! So many people laying it all on the line against such odds and Harry really letting his inner dark side out to play! It was intense but not fatiguing.

There are plenty of repercussions to that lengthy fight. Some we know by the end of the book and some we don’t until later in the series. That’s one thing I really enjoy about this series: your actions have repercussions, no matter your reasons. For instance, Murphy took yet more time off from work to assist Harry and she will pay for that. We also learn some things about Harry’s past and about his mother. All in all, I think this is one of the best books in the series.

Narration: James Marsters continues to do awesome work with this series. He is angry Harry, tender Harry, sad Harry, relieved Harry, etc. He really owns this character. In this book, he also does a great job with some Mayan words (such as the full name of the Ick). His voice for the Red King of the Red Court Vampires is chilling. I also love his voice for the delighted, and perhaps slightly demented, Liana (Harry’s fairy godmother). ( )
  DabOfDarkness | Jul 16, 2016 |
This is book 13 of the series so the character and world building was done a long time ago with a masterpiece hand. What can I say? I’m a long-time Jim Butcher fan so my opinion is biased. Reading Changes has reminded me why I love reading Jim Butcher so much! The wry humour showing through the pages… non-stop suspense action chapter after chapter. The story telling quality is 5 out of 5, as per usual. So what new thing can I say about this book that I haven’t said already in previous Jim Butcher reviews? This book is obviously a pivotal point in the series, as aptly titled Changes. New developments in the story is emerging... And the ending was specifically designed to better torment die hard fans to having to wait for a year for the next installment…

Butcher, JimAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lundgren, RayCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGrath, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Simmons, JoieCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I answered the phone, and Susan Rodriguez said, “They’ve taken . . . ”
I'm not sure it's possible to manipulate someone with candor and truth.
I think you call that enlightenment.

Long ago, Susan Rodriquez was Harry Dresden's lover - until she was attacked by his enemies, leaving her caught between humanity and the relentless bloodlust of the vampiric Red Court. She disappeared to South America, where she could fight both her savage gift and those who cursed her with it. Now she needs Harry's help more than ever.

For the vengeful Duchess of the Red Court has discovered a secret Susan has long kept from everyone - including Harry - and she plans to use it. To prevail, Harry may have to unleash the full fury of his untapped power - and he may have no choice but to embrace the darkness within himself.

Because this time, he's fighting to save his child.

In the twelfth book of the series, Harry finds out he has a daughter and has to work with his former lover, Susan Rodriguez, to protect them both.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,632,200 books! | Top bar: Always visible