Changes : a novel of the Dresden files by…

Changes : a novel of the Dresden files (edition 2010)

by Jim Butcher

Title:Changes : a novel of the Dresden files
Authors:Jim Butcher
Info:New York : Roc/New American Library, 2010.
Tags:ebook, urban fantasy, wizards, vampires

Changes by Jim Butcher

Recently added byINorris, Serdon, Mortal_Elf, PBirgander, private library, Wartaalman, BomboChipolata, kenfair, ffffaryn
    Ill Wind by Rachel Caine (Anonymous user)

English (113)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (115)
Probably the best Harry Dresden book in the series so far. It features practically everybody introduced in the series previously and puts Harry Dresden through an intense and emotional story. The series finally focuses on the war between the Red Court and White Council that previous books mention but never get too involved in. The book has more everlasting effects on Harry Dresden and the direction where the story is going. Great book! ( )
  renbedell | Aug 18, 2015 |
Public Service Announcement: This book ends on a cliffhanger. Like, a lot. You'll want to have the next book on hand well before you finish, in case the bookstore or library is closed when you turn that last page, forcing you to scream and throw things and maybe lose your security deposit.

Second Public Service Announcement: By "the next book," I mean Ghost Story, not Side Jobs. Ghost Story picks up where Changes leaves off. Side Jobs is a collection of Dresden Files-related short stories and may be very good -- I haven't read it yet -- but if you don't know what to expect from it, you may end up doing some of the aforementioned screaming and throwing in spite of what you thought was careful planning on your part. I'm just saying.

Final Public Service Announcement, At Least In This Review: If you're listening to these books rather than reading them on paper, please know that the next book, Ghost Story, is narrated by a very talented reader who is not -- repeat, not -- James Marsters. Advance warning of this sad fact may ease your pain, or at least prepare you for the struggle ahead.

Other stuff: I'm still thinking about how I feel about this novel. It's the first Dresden book that has felt overstuffed and occasionally rushed to me. A great deal happens and a great deal is revealed, and I'm not sure it's adequately explained. I don't know if that's on me or on the author, but between that and the extremely dark ending, I didn't love this book as much as I have the previous several titles.

I certainly found it compelling, though, and the premise grabbed me right from the beginning, so it still gets a solid four stars. Possibly even four and a half. I'm just not sure I want to give it five.

A friend of mine who's more familiar with the series says that the next few books may help me decide what I really think of this one, so watch this space for updates. (Not literally. That would be kind of sad. Go have a life and stuff. Just don't be surprised if this review pops up in your feed again at some point because I've had a change of heart.) ( )
  Deborah_Markus | Aug 8, 2015 |
In my opinion, Changes feels different than all other the Dresden Files books, hence the title, probably.

I loved in medias res beginning - just like Harry Dresden, I was, like - WAIT, WHAT???

The plot was AMAZING, intricate, the story fast-paced, and Harry Dresden - brilliant and fun to be around, as always. And this was definitely the first book of the series where I teared up (at a certain moment involving violent inner struggles, cold weather, a knife, and a certain traitorous Winter Knight). And I felt the main hero's unbearable pain in every page of the book.

Changes is the most emotional book yet and that gets it a 5-star rating in my book. ( )
  v_allery | Apr 19, 2015 |
Every one of these Dresden books is the same. They all blur together. I have no way to tell them apart. I've read about 6 of these books, and they really are pretty good. But, they are all in the average category. None of them stand out as really that awesome.

After reading this particular book, I was like, why the fuck did I read this? Oh, yea. Fucking airplane. Okay, it kept me from wanting to kill the guy sitting next to me. Other than that? Meh. ( )
  gecizzle | Mar 5, 2015 |
As the title states, there are lots of changes.To be honest the last couple books were ok..but this was simply a great fun, intense read. Not much to say without spoiling the book and I am not going to do that. But if you are reading the Dresden Files, you will surely enjoy the direction of this book. ( )
  jaddington | Feb 16, 2015 |
This is book 13 of the series so the character and world building was done a long time ago with a masterpiece hand. What can I say? I’m a long-time Jim Butcher fan so my opinion is biased. Reading Changes has reminded me why I love reading Jim Butcher so much! The wry humour showing through the pages… non-stop suspense action chapter after chapter. The story telling quality is 5 out of 5, as per usual. So what new thing can I say about this book that I haven’t said already in previous Jim Butcher reviews? This book is obviously a pivotal point in the series, as aptly titled Changes. New developments in the story is emerging... And the ending was specifically designed to better torment die hard fans to having to wait for a year for the next installment…

Jim Butcherprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blue Moon PhotographyAuthor photographsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lundgren, RayCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGrath, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Simmons, JoieCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I answered the phone, and Susan Rodriguez said, “They’ve taken . . . ”
I'm not sure it's possible to manipulate someone with candor and truth.
I think you call that enlightenment.

Long ago, Susan Rodriquez was Harry Dresden's lover - until she was attacked by his enemies, leaving her caught between humanity and the relentless bloodlust of the vampiric Red Court. She disappeared to South America, where she could fight both her savage gift and those who cursed her with it. Now she needs Harry's help more than ever.

For the vengeful Duchess of the Red Court has discovered a secret Susan has long kept from everyone - including Harry - and she plans to use it. To prevail, Harry may have to unleash the full fury of his untapped power - and he may have no choice but to embrace the darkness within himself.

Because this time, he's fighting to save his child.

In the twelfth book of the series, Harry finds out he has a daughter and has to work with his former lover, Susan Rodriguez, to protect them both.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,698,926 books! | Top bar: Always visible