Changes : a novel of the Dresden files by…

Changes : a novel of the Dresden files (edition 2010)

by Jim Butcher

Member:damzlfly
Title:Changes : a novel of the Dresden files
Authors:Jim Butcher
Info:New York : Roc/New American Library, 2010.
Tags:ebook, urban fantasy, wizards, vampires

Changes by Jim Butcher

Ill Wind by Rachel Caine (Anonymous user)

English (111)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (113)
In my opinion, Changes feels different than all other the Dresden Files books, hence the title, probably.

I loved in medias res beginning - just like Harry Dresden, I was, like - WAIT, WHAT???

The plot was AMAZING, intricate, the story fast-paced, and Harry Dresden - brilliant and fun to be around, as always. And this was definitely the first book of the series where I teared up (at a certain moment involving violent inner struggles, cold weather, a knife, and a certain traitorous Winter Knight). And I felt the main hero's unbearable pain in every page of the book.

Changes is the most emotional book yet and that gets it a 5-star rating in my book. ( )
  v_allery | Apr 19, 2015 |
Every one of these Dresden books is the same. They all blur together. I have no way to tell them apart. I've read about 6 of these books, and they really are pretty good. But, they are all in the average category. None of them stand out as really that awesome.

After reading this particular book, I was like, why the fuck did I read this? Oh, yea. Fucking airplane. Okay, it kept me from wanting to kill the guy sitting next to me. Other than that? Meh. ( )
  gecizzle | Mar 5, 2015 |
As the title states, there are lots of changes.To be honest the last couple books were ok..but this was simply a great fun, intense read. Not much to say without spoiling the book and I am not going to do that. But if you are reading the Dresden Files, you will surely enjoy the direction of this book. ( )
  jaddington | Feb 16, 2015 |
  jaddington | Feb 16, 2015 |
This book, as such, was exciting, fast paced, with unexpected turns and a complex plot line.

I appreciate the focus on Harry as a nurturer. This, as I have said elsewhere. Given the expectations even a generation ago that men be less involved with their progeny than women, the emphasis and importance Butcher places on Dresden as a teacher, nurturer, saver of babies and biological parent has value. There may be something interesting in comparing the series with Lolita, given Molly's (portrayed as) precocious tendencies.

That being said, I hate the gender breakdown of this novel. Hate hate hate hate. Firey passion of thousand suns. Hate.

Hate.

I have really mixed feelings about Susan having the baby first off, but that is a personal conflict on my part and I fully recognize it as such. It is kind of a cop out I feel, because she has the kid, but can't keep the kid, so finds a safe surrogate family for the kid, and still shows up periodically to be part of the kid's life. This strikes me as wanting to have the cake and eat it too. Open adoptions are a little different than this, which feels like Susan knew her life wasn't suitable for child rearing and she wasn't able/willing to change it to accommodate the child, so she made a responsible decision and didn't raise the child herself. And yet she continued to be involved with the kid. This is stupid. From a practical stand point, the very act of contact with the child put her at risk. From a plot perspective, this was stupid. It painted Susan incredibly negatively, as though she wanted to be a mother without really having to be a mother. Show up for the holidays and let the surrogate family do all the work. Crap, Butcher, this is crap.

To top all that off, then she denied Harry even the knowledge that he had a child. Given the stuff they deal with, what part of forewarned isn't forearmed? Really? And honestly, it was shitty thing to have Susan do. I don't know how common this is, but I do recognize it as a completely viable male fear. Short of a paternity test, they can't actually verify that a child is their blood, and it is completely possible for the woman to have an abortion without his knowledge, or to have the kid and exclude him from the decision making process.

Now, I have more mixed feelings here. As a sexually active woman, I've had to make decisions about what I would do if I found myself in Susan's situation: knocked up, not wanting to have or keep the kid, not with a partner who could help raise it, or not willing to be with the partner who could help raise it, and not necessarily wanting/willing to deal with the drama of notifying said partner about the situation. Particularly since my solution would be abortion. Honestly, this would be the outcome regardless of what the father thought. At the end of the day, it is my body, and I have to live in it and pregnancy changes the female body in irrevocable ways. I also understand that not notifying all involved parties would be an unfair course of action. And yet. (This is also why I am aware of my morning after pill options, because I never ever want to go through this).

Susan chose to have the kid. And chose to be involved with the kid. And denies Harry the same option. This is uncool to the greatest extent. And I see this as an extreme manifestation of a singularly male fear that the female will not notify him of what is happening. I also think that this is a projection, and to some degree an exaggeration, of that male fear into the novel. It is a very unfair thing for Susan to do, and I think a very unfair thing for Butcher to write Susan as doing. I don't see anything in her character (at this point) that makes this anything other than a plot device, and perhaps a social commentary on the unfairness of women making exactly these sorts of decisions sans the biologically involved men. That is certainly a more generous reading of the situation, and I would be more inclined to by sympathetic to this reading were it not for the manipulative and brutal death meted to Susan, read yet again as punishment for her agency.

I will return to this anon. Writing through the thought process is irking me.

librarycatnip | Jan 12, 2015 |
This is book 13 of the series so the character and world building was done a long time ago with a masterpiece hand. What can I say? I’m a long-time Jim Butcher fan so my opinion is biased. Reading Changes has reminded me why I love reading Jim Butcher so much! The wry humour showing through the pages… non-stop suspense action chapter after chapter. The story telling quality is 5 out of 5, as per usual. So what new thing can I say about this book that I haven’t said already in previous Jim Butcher reviews? This book is obviously a pivotal point in the series, as aptly titled Changes. New developments in the story is emerging... And the ending was specifically designed to better torment die hard fans to having to wait for a year for the next installment…

Jim Butcherprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blue Moon PhotographyAuthor photographsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lundgren, RayCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGrath, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Simmons, JoieCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I answered the phone, and Susan Rodriguez said, “They’ve taken . . . ”
I'm not sure it's possible to manipulate someone with candor and truth.
I think you call that enlightenment.

Long ago, Susan Rodriquez was Harry Dresden's lover - until she was attacked by his enemies, leaving her caught between humanity and the relentless bloodlust of the vampiric Red Court. She disappeared to South America, where she could fight both her savage gift and those who cursed her with it. Now she needs Harry's help more than ever.

For the vengeful Duchess of the Red Court has discovered a secret Susan has long kept from everyone - including Harry - and she plans to use it. To prevail, Harry may have to unleash the full fury of his untapped power - and he may have no choice but to embrace the darkness within himself.

Because this time, he's fighting to save his child.

In the twelfth book of the series, Harry finds out he has a daughter and has to work with his former lover, Susan Rodriguez, to protect them both.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,387,108 books! | Top bar: Always visible