Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

The Memoirs of Mary Queen of Scots: A Novel…

The Memoirs of Mary Queen of Scots: A Novel (edition 2010)

by Carolly Erickson

Member:rachelle-a-tron
Title:The Memoirs of Mary Queen of Scots: A Novel
Authors:Carolly Erickson
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 352 pages
Tags:Read

The Memoirs of Mary Queen of Scots: A Novel by Carolly Erickson

I'm calling this book a historical romance because it strays so far from the historical record as to be almost a fantasy.  Author Carolly Erickson, in her author's note at the end, describes her book as "historical entertainment" or "whimsy," and gives no other details about what is true and what is fiction. The trouble is, many readers who know nothing about Mary Queen of Scots will be very misled by this book, especially with the word "memoirs" in the title, which to me implies that although fiction, it is more based on fact than this book is.  Erickson has Mary traveling to Rome (!) and hiding with her grandmother and secret daughter (!) in France, and her last husband, Bothwell, witnessing her execution.  Rebekah Germain is fine as a narrator, but this book is NOT recommended.

© Amanda Pape - 2017

[The e-audiobook was borrowed from and returned to a public library.] ( )
1 vote riofriotex | Dec 13, 2017 |
This story follows the life of Mary, a widowed Queen of France, heir to the throne of Scotland who also hoped to succeed Queen Elizabeth of England. The story covers her loves, losses and imprisonment through the end of her life. ( )
  micahmom2002 | Jan 25, 2016 |
  micahmom2002 | Jan 25, 2016 |
I am so appalled by the sloppy history of this book. I expected better from Carrolly Erickson. She defends herself by saying it "historical entertainment" and "whimsy." History is entertaining in itself, sheer fabrication doesn't need to be done to make it interesting.

Erickson departed so far from the history of Mary Queen of Scots that I actually began to doubt myself. I kept thinking, "I don't remember that happening ... did that happen? Did I miss something?"

No, I did not miss anything. Erickson made this queen do things and go places that weren't even surmised by the history. Further, she makes Queen Elizabeth I do things she wouldn't have considered.

Historical fiction is supposed to be speculative, not contrived out of whole cloth. Humbug. ( )
1 vote AuntieClio | Jun 29, 2013 |
Not sure how Historical correct this is , some facts diff from other novels , two others never had her in Rome at all, so did she go there ( Rome ) and then back to England , to be beheaded. This book has her a very self serving person. Seems all royal persons are protrayed as such. Maybe they were, being spoiled as children . ( )
  donagiles | Sep 20, 2012 |
I saw it all. I was standing at the back, in a group of men I didn't know, who like me were shivering in their woolen cloaks as it was as cold as a witch's dug and the big fire in the middle of the room gave us no warmth.

In this dramatic, compelling fictional memoir Carolly Erickson lets the courageous, spirited Mary Queen of Scots tell her own storyand the result is a novel readers will long remember.

Born Queen of Scotland, married as a young girl to the invalid young King of France, Mary took the reins of the unruly kingdom of Scotland as a young widow and fought to keep her throne. A second marriage to her handsome but dissolute cousin Lord Darnley ended in murder and scandal, while a third marriage to the dashing, commanding Lord Bothwell, the love of her life, gave her joy but widened the scandal and surrounded her with enduring ill repute.

Unable to rise above the violence and disorder that swirled around her, Mary plucked up her courage and escaped to Englandonly to find herself a prisoner of her ruthless, merciless cousin Queen Elizabeth.

Here, in her own riveting account, is the enchanting woman whose name still evokes excitement and compassionand whose death under the headsman’s axe still draws forth our sorrow.

In The Memoirs of Mary Queen of Scots, Carolly Erickson provides another in her series of mesmerizing historical entertainments, and takes readers deep into the life and heart of the sixteenth century’s most fascinating woman.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:07 -0400)

A tale inspired by the life of Mary Queen of Scots depicts her as a spirited young woman who fights to keep her throne, enters into a happy but scandal-marked third marriage, and is betrayed by her cousin, Queen Elizabeth.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,476,762 books! | Top bar: Always visible