Secret Water by Arthur Ransome

Secret Water (original 1939; edition 2001)

by Arthur Ransome

Follows the adventures of the five Walker children after their parents leave them on a "desert island" with provisions for a long stay and a blank map to fill in.
Member:Via
Title:Secret Water
Authors:Arthur Ransome
Info:Random House (UK) (2001), Paperback, 432 pages

Secret Water by Arthur Ransome (1939)

English (6)  Czech (1)  All languages (7)
I wonder why I like Ransome's novels so much. Is it because, as a child, I had no chance whatsoever to experience myself any adventure even remotely approaching anything these children are experiencing? Or because even when the children are occasionally comic, the humour is never condescending? Anyway, for a quinquagenarian this is definitely escapist literature ... but of the best sort. ( )
  Stravaiger64 | Oct 29, 2020 |
Book plate, but other wise perfect
  chilperic | Sep 1, 2014 |
I own a paperback and hardcover.

amyem58 | Jul 3, 2014 |
This is one of the latest Swallows and Amazons books in terms of the overall chronology of the series. It immediately follows We Didn't Mean to Go to Sea, which I rather dislike (too much seasickness), By this time the Swallows are older, John and Susan are old enough to be left in charge of the crew on a tidal island off the English coast. Roger the ship's boy is now rated an able seaman, and the youngest child, Bridget, hitherto too young to go along on the adventures, is included for the first time. They are exploring a set of tidal islands and are joined by the Amazons while encountering a local group of children, the Eels, who see themselves as a primitive tribe, conveniently serving as opponents for the Swallows" explorers." I suppose a contemporary critic might see the game as too imperialist, but in the context of the time it is harmless. One bit I remember is when Bridget is being a "sacrifice" and the others are afraid she is upset and stop the game, but she actually wants to go on playing. ( )
  antiquary | Dec 30, 2013 |
Started it and it seemed fine. About children going on an adventure in a boat. The eighth book of a series of nine. Their father has important government work to do.
  raizel | Oct 27, 2009 |

Arthur Ransomeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Woolf, GabrielNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

To the Busk Family
The First Lord of the Admiralty was unpopular at Pin Mill. "I hate him,"said Roger, sitting on the foredeck of the Goblin, with his legs dangling over the side. "Who?" said Titty. "The first of those lords," said Roger. "We all hate him," said Titty. John and Suan, perhaps, did not hate the First Lord in particular, but their thoughts about the Admiralty were as bitter as Roger's.
Karabadangbaraka.
"Oh go AWAY," shrieked Bridget. "Go AWAY. They're just in the middle of it. I don't WANT to be rescued."

The crew of the Swallow take on the task of mapping the mass of small islands round Pin Mill while living on the biggest one. But who are they mysterious savages who lurk in the islands - and is the tribal totem they find in their campsite a threat of attack?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 156,967,619 books! | Top bar: Always visible