Genius in All of Us by David Shenk

Genius in All of Us (edition 2011)

by David Shenk

Member:MHelm1017
Title:Genius in All of Us
Authors:David Shenk
Info:Icon Books (2011), Paperback, 320 pages
Collections:Non-fiction, Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:science, DNA, biology, education, culture, society, psychology, philosophy, evolution, genetics

The Genius in All of Us: New Insights into Genetics, Talent, and IQ by David Shenk

English (9)  Dutch (1)  All languages (10)
This was very interesting and well explained! ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
This was very interesting and well explained! ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
Clear and thorough. The information was fascinating and never did I feel bored or inundated with data. I appreciated that the author presented data that was contrary to his findings and explained his doubts professionally. ( )
  LaPhenix | Jan 31, 2014 |
Clear informative argument for the "perspiration" view of talent. Though where the talent in my immediate family comes from remains a mystery. None of us are of the "Practice makes perfect" persuasion. ( )
  vguy | Sep 21, 2013 |
An interesting review of the science of achievement, but somehow Shenk did not satisfy me--maybe because I have a read a lot in this area, but still a good read. I am puzzling over the ratio of text to notes, since there are more pages of notes than of the text. Kind of interesting way to write a book. Some of the notes are about what you would expect, just sourcing things he says or quotes in the text, but others offer more information or tell stories. Kind of a non-fiction "Pale Fire" about the science of achievement, perhaps. ( )
  nmele | Apr 6, 2013 |

David Shenkprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Deakins, MarkNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

DNA does not make us who we are. Journalist David Shenk debunks the long-standing notion of genetic "giftedness," and presents new scientific research showing how greatness is in the reach of every individual. Integrating cutting-edge research from a wide swath of disciplines, Shenk maintains the problem isn't our inadequate genetic assets, but our inability, so far, to tap into what we already have. IQ testing and widespread acceptance of "innate" abilities have created an unnecessarily pessimistic view--and fostered much misdirected public education policy. The truth is much more exciting: our individual destinies are a product of the complex interplay between genes and outside stimuli--a dynamic that we, as people and as parents, can influence.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,588,241 books! | Top bar: Always visible