January's Sparrow by Patricia Polacco

January's Sparrow (edition 2009)

by Patricia Polacco, Patricia Polacco (Illustrator)

Member:arak
Title:January's Sparrow
Authors:Patricia Polacco
Other authors:Patricia Polacco (Illustrator)
Info:Philomel (2009), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 96 pages
Tags:Youth, Historical Fiction, African-American, Slavery, Freedom, Underground Railroad

January's Sparrow by Patricia Polacco

When my grand daughter excitedly told me that her fifth grade class was reading this book, she used this as a teaching/reading lesson to me. She loves to pretend she is a teacher, and I loved listening to the inflection and excitement in her voice as she read January's Sparrow with/to me.

Using vivid illustrations, Polacco begins the book with the injustice of, and brutal beating of January Sparrow, a man who was welcomed into the Crosswhite family when he was taken from his mother and sold into slavery when he was a young man. As the bond grows, young Sadie is particularly fond of January, and, as a gift he hand carves a beautiful sparrow.

Now, as an adult, January rebels against the cruelty of the plantation owners. Attempting to flee to the north, he is caught and returned. He is severely beaten as the Crosswhite family is forced to observe. Slavery is quite a difficult subject, and as Kayla spoke of the horror of the beating, I heard a catch in her voice and saw tears in her eyes.

When the Crosswhite family learned that the next day their sons were to be sold and taken from the family, they chose to flee. The beauty of the underground railroad shines through in this book as the Crosswhite's flee to the free state of Michigan.

Landing in the home of a gentle, kind woman who sheltered and fed the family, they decided to take a break and live in Marshall, Michigan for a spell. Still, they lived under the fear that their owners would hunt them down. While there were free states, the law was that anyone harboring slaves would be prosecuted.

When the plantation owners track and hunt down the Crosswhites, attempting to retrieve their property, there is a peaceful, non-violent protest of the members of Marshall.

Fleeing to Canada, the Crosswhites, eventually find safety. After the Civil War, they return to the community that saved and nurtured them and lived their days in peace.

Told from the voice of Sadie, the young daughter of the Crosswhite family, the story is more meaningful as she processes the horror and abject unfairness of slavery. And, as Sadie grows to trust, she and her family land of safe ground.

Highly recommended for children and adults! ( )
  Whisper1 | Apr 14, 2014 |
In my opinion this is a rather sad book. I felt as if the characters were so believable and realistic, I could put myself in Sadie's shoes. This story pushes readers to think about the tough issue about slaves from the old days. It may be hard to believe that people fled to other states, but if they wanted to stay alive, it is what they had to do. For example, the Crosswhites are from Kentucky and they flee to Marshall, Michigan and then to Canada.

The main message of the story is to focus on the historical events that occurred in the history such as the Underground Railroad, slavery, death, etc. ( )
  kwisem1 | Apr 2, 2014 |
Am I embarrassed by the fact that this book had me sniffling by the third page, and bawling outright by the final one? No, but I would be embarrassed - nay, ashamed even - if I weren't moved in some way by such an extraordinary story! How could anyone, tears or no, help being touched by such a powerful tale of humanity and inhumanity, of brutal oppression and the courage needed to defy it, especially when the tale in question is all true? January's Sparrow, based upon the true story of a family of slaves that escaped to Marshall, Michigan - twelve miles from the author's home - and found a refuge there, has shot to the very top of my list of favorite Patricia Polacco books, and that is no small achievement!

The tale of the Crosswhite family - father Adam, mother Sarah, sons John, Ben and Cyrus, and daughter Sadie - who flee their lives as slaves on a Kentucky plantation after being forced to watch their adopted son and brother, January, being beaten to death, and learning that the other boys will soon be sold off, January's Sparrow is by turns heart-wrenching and uplifting, sorrowful and joyous. It is a tale of some of the terrible atrocities committed in our past, and Patricia Polacco does not spare her young readers the horror of slavery, showing the helpless January staked to the ground, savagely whipped, and then tortured with the salt and pepper that is rubbed into his wounds. But it is also a tale of courage, as the Crosswhites flee north to freedom; and of generosity, as strangers - both black and white - help them on their way, and aid them in getting settled, once they reach the staunchly anti-slavery town of Marshall, Michigan.

There are many memorable moments here, from the terrible opening scenes in which the fugitive January is dragged back to the plantation by the paddy rollers, to the joyous ones in which the Crosswhites experience Winter for the first time, with all the pleasures of ice skating, and sleighing downhill. The friendships they make in Marshall are real, something that becomes very clear when the paddy rollers show up to find them! The confrontation between the fugitive hunters, determined to return the Crosswhites to slavery in the South, and the townspeople of Marshall, is truly inspiring - all the more so because those who defied injustice, even to the extent of breaking the law, were black and white together. I was reminded of a similar incident that occurred in my college town of Oberlin, Ohio, in which black and white students and townspeople banded together to rescue an escaped slave who had been recaptured. The Oberlin-Wellington Rescue is justly celebrated in Nat Brandt's The Town That Started the Civil War.

This is just a wonderful, wonderful book! I was alternately sick to my stomach, moved to tears, and laughing out loud, while I read it! Highly, highly recommended to all readers with an interest in this period of American history, or in inspiring true stories in general. Given the subject matter, as well as the length of the book (at ninety-six pages, it is much longer than the usual picture-book), I would say that this wasn't one for very young children. Other than that, I think it's a book any human being with a heart could benefit from reading! ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Apr 15, 2013 |
Moving book about a slave family that runs and escapes only to be found years later.
  AmyBarrutia | Mar 7, 2013 |
January's Sparrow is a story about a guy named January who makes a sparrow for a little girl named Sadie. One day January goes to escape but is caught and beaten in front of everybody. Then Sadie's family escapes and she forgets her sparrow behind. They traveled by boat and crossed the underground railroad to freedom. One day they receive a package with a note saying I found you and this scares sadie she doesn't know if the slave owners have found them or what. This story fills us in on the history of slaves and what jobs and roles that they played throughout history. They were not only cotton pickers, they cooked, cleaned, and raised the whites children. This is a good book to help children understand the true history of slavery from the good and the bad perspectives. Some slaves actually preferred to be slaves while others wanted to be free.
  ahmad74 | Oct 26, 2012 |

Patricia Polacco's most powerful book since Pink and Say.

In the middle of the night, The Crosswhites?including young Sadie?must flee the Kentucky plantation they work on. Dear January has been beaten and killed by the plantation master, and they fear who may be next. But Sadie must leave behind her most valuable possession, the wooden sparrow carved for her by January. Through the Underground Railroad, the Crosswhites make the slow and arduous journey to Marshall, Michigan, where they finally live in freedom. And there they stay, happily, until the day a mysterious package shows up on their doorsteps. It is January?s sparrow, with a note that reads, ?I found you.?

How the Crosswhites, and the whole town of Marshall, face this threat will leave readers empowered and enthralled. This is a Polacco adventure that will live in the minds of children for years.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:09 -0400)

After a fellow slave is beaten to death, Sadie and her family flee the plantation for freedom through the Underground Railroad.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,118,011 books! | Top bar: Always visible