Mockingbird by Kathryn Erskine

Title:Mockingbird
Authors:Kathryn Erskine
Info:Puffin (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 256 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:novel, contemporary realistic fiction, disabilities, family, death, gr. 5-8

Mockingbird by Kathryn Erskine

The London Eye Mystery by Siobhan Dowd (kaledrina)
    Rules by Cynthia Lord (kaledrina)
    Al Capone Does My Shirts by Gennifer Choldenko (kaledrina)
    Junonia by Kevin Henkes (kaledrina)
    Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin (kimby365)
    kimby365: "Typical" has a male protagonist and involves high-functioning autism (different from Asperger's in a few ways), and it's written completely differently, but both books offer a great insight into the minds of young individuals on the autism spectrum.

I loved this little book! What an unexpected surprise.

Mockingbird is told in the voice of Caitlin, a young girl with Aspergers, moving on with life after her brother is killed in a middle school shooting. She is working to understand her father's feelings, being accepted at school, and living life without her older brother. I enjoyed seeing the world through her eyes, and often found myself completely understanding her point of view. Like the book says, we all fall somewhere on the autistic spectrum. I may be a little closer to Caitlin than other people, and that's ok.

If you like getting inside a character's head who might cause you to view the world a little differently, it's definitely worth the read. So good!
  GovMarley | Oct 7, 2014 |
I really like this book, but it definitely has a heavy theme, which apparently is common for Kathryn Erskine. The story is told from the first-person point of view of Caitlin, a 10-year-old girl with Asperger's syndrome. Caitlin was very close with her older brother Devon, who has recently been killed in a school shooting. We get to walk in Caitlin's shoes as she tries to make sense of this new world without her brother, and we live her struggle as she seeks Closure, for herself and her community.

The uniqueness of this book is being able to live inside Caitlin's mind. Caitlin's counselor is often telling her to put herself in someone else's shoes to help develop Empathy. Caitlin helps us see the different way of thinking that she has because of Asperger's syndrome. I would hope that anyone reading this book, whether adult or child, would walk away with a better understanding of this syndrome; with better skills to deal with their seemingly bizarre behavior; and with the desire to help them deal with the world.

Enlightening! ( )
  stephanie.croaning | Sep 28, 2014 |
Young girl with Asperger's syndrome dealing with the death of her brother in a school shooting. Caitlin seeks closure for her family, her community, and herself. Connections to Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird - character parallels and themes of innocence. ( )
  jcarroll12 | Jun 18, 2014 |
Publishers Weekly
(March 8, 2010) ( )
  stonini | Jun 11, 2014 |
A book about school shootings and autism, two tough enough subjects -- and a thin book, meant for kids to read. I read it and decided my son wouldn't be able to comprehend the message. It needed ... more. But I appreciate the attempt. ( )
  limamikealpha | Jun 5, 2014 |
In the hopes that we may all understand each other better.
It looks like a one-winged bird crouching in the corner of our living room.

[From back cover]:  In Caitlin's world, everything is black or white.  Things are good or bad.  Anything in between is confusing.  That's the stuff Caitlin's older brother, Devon, has always explained.  But now Devon's dead and Dad is no help at all.  Caitlin wants to get over it, but as an eleven-year-old girl with Asperger's, she doesn't know how.  When she reads the definition of closure, she realizes that is what she needs.  In her search for it, Caitlin discovers that not everything is black and white - the world is full of colors - messy and beautiful.

Ten-year-old Caitlin, who has Asperger's Syndrome, struggles to understand emotions, show empathy, and make friends at school, while at home she seeks closure by working on a project with her father.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,320,946 books! | Top bar: Always visible