Mockingbird by Kathryn Erskine

Authors:Kathryn Erskine
Info:Puffin (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 256 pages
Rating:*****

Mockingbird by Kathryn Erskine

Recently added bymfdavis, janeenv, ahzim, kharkrader, MrsTims, private library, lyssacle, wellnk78, Cheryl_in_CC_NV
    The London Eye Mystery by Siobhan Dowd (kaledrina)
    Rules by Cynthia Lord (kaledrina)
    Al Capone Does My Shirts by Gennifer Choldenko (kaledrina)
    Junonia by Kevin Henkes (kaledrina)
    Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin (kimby365)
    kimby365: "Typical" has a male protagonist and involves high-functioning autism (different from Asperger's in a few ways), and it's written completely differently, but both books offer a great insight into the minds of young individuals on the autism spectrum.

Maybe 4.5 stars. I loved that the main character had something to deal with besides just her Asperger's - after all, we all do face multiple challenges. I loved the way the mood went from intense and almost depressing to joyful and triumphant. I loved the references in re' the title. I'm not sure a 5th-grade girl who cuddles the Dictionary would say "water came from her eyes" instead of 'tears,' and there are a few other minor potential quibbles in that the Asperger's doesn't seem quite accurate - but I'm not an expert so I'm not sure. Still, intense, lovely, and recommended. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
Caitlin is a ten-year-old girl with Asperger’s syndrome. She used to rely on her older brother Devon to explain to her how the world worked, but Devon and two others were recently killed during a shooting spree at Devon’s middle school in Virginia. Caitlin’s mother had died of cancer seven years before. Now all that is left of the family besides Caitlin is the dad, who is hardly functioning himself ever since, as Caitlin calls it, The Day our Life Fell Apart.

Caitlin excels intellectually and can relate to the world when there are rigid boundaries of black and white, but has difficulty understanding emotions and nuance. She doesn’t know how to fix the pain that is debilitating them so much. She hears a woman on the news talking about the community needing closure, and she decides this is what she and her dad need. But how does one get it?

Evaluation: This powerful and poignant book explores in depth grief in the aftermath of senseless violence. It also takes us on a remarkable journey inside the head of someone with Asperger’s. Erskine doesn’t romanticize Caitlin; she shows both her strengths and limitations, and the difficulties others experience dealing with a child who cannot interact with the world the way most children do. Nevertheless, Caitlin is brave and resourceful, and becomes an unforgettable heroine. ( )
  nbmars | Feb 6, 2015 |
I really enjoyed _Mockingbird_ by Kathryn Erskine! Although centered around loss in the wake of a school shooting, _Mockingbird_ is a story of personal growth and tolerance. Erskine beautifully captures some of the thought patterns associated with Asperger's and presents them in a way that allows for learning and empathy. I would recommend this book to students grades 6 and up. ( )
  Debra_Armbruster | Dec 22, 2014 |
This was a quick read, for me. Loved it, though. It was intense and very sweet! ( )
  trayceetee | Nov 15, 2014 |
Excellent! Told through the eyes of Caitlin, everything is black and white. So why is life so difficult? And why is it so hard to find closure?
  mcorbink | Nov 4, 2014 |
In the hopes that we may all understand each other better.
It looks like a one-winged bird crouching in the corner of our living room.

[From back cover]:  In Caitlin's world, everything is black or white.  Things are good or bad.  Anything in between is confusing.  That's the stuff Caitlin's older brother, Devon, has always explained.  But now Devon's dead and Dad is no help at all.  Caitlin wants to get over it, but as an eleven-year-old girl with Asperger's, she doesn't know how.  When she reads the definition of closure, she realizes that is what she needs.  In her search for it, Caitlin discovers that not everything is black and white - the world is full of colors - messy and beautiful.

Ten-year-old Caitlin, who has Asperger's Syndrome, struggles to understand emotions, show empathy, and make friends at school, while at home she seeks closure by working on a project with her father.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,181,506 books! | Top bar: Always visible