Mockingbird by Kathryn Erskine

Authors:Kathryn Erskine
Info:Puffin (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 256 pages
Rating:*****

Mockingbird by Kathryn Erskine

The London Eye Mystery by Siobhan Dowd (kaledrina)
    Rules by Cynthia Lord (kaledrina)
    Al Capone Does My Shirts by Gennifer Choldenko (kaledrina)
    Junonia by Kevin Henkes (kaledrina)
    Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin (kimby365)
    kimby365: "Typical" has a male protagonist and involves high-functioning autism (different from Asperger's in a few ways), and it's written completely differently, but both books offer a great insight into the minds of young individuals on the autism spectrum.

"Caitlin has Asperger's. The world according to her is black and white; anything in between is confusing. Before, when things got confusing, Caitlin went to her older brother, Devon, for help. But Devon was killed in a school shooting, and Caitlin's dad is so distraught that he is just not helpful. Caitlin wants everything to go back to the way things were, but she doesn't know how to do that. Then she comes across the word closure--and she realizes this is what she needs. And in her search for it, Caitlin discovers that the world may not be so black and white after all." -- Amazon.
  LeonaL | Jun 27, 2016 |
Maybe 4.5 stars. I loved that the main character had something to deal with besides just her Asperger's - after all, we all do face multiple challenges. I loved the way the mood went from intense and almost depressing to joyful and triumphant. I loved the references in re' the title. I'm not sure a 5th-grade girl who cuddles the Dictionary would say water came from her eyes" instead of 'tears,' and there are a few other minor potential quibbles in that the Asperger's doesn't seem quite accurate - but I'm not an expert so I'm not sure. Still, intense, lovely, and recommended." ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
What a sweet little story this is! Erskine manages to give the reader a real insight into the struggles that are faced by an autistic child on a daily basis. How does Caitlin cope with the death of her brother when she doesn't understand the usual emotions and social conventions of her milieu? At times funny and heartbreaking, this novel provided me with new perspectives and understandings. ( )
  mmacd3814 | May 30, 2016 |
Devon died at a school shooting and didint finish his egle scoot project wich was a chest. Catelen hated colers they mixed together and so she drew in blak and gray. whene she finaly convinced her dad to finish the chert to find clasure it was worth it.I liked this book because it has to do with drawing. It also shows that you can move on in life and have fun. ( )
  RoseM30 | May 20, 2016 |
Get ready for tears. The book opens at a wake for Caitlin's older brother Devon, who has just died in a school shooting. Caitlin has Asperger's, and thus has difficulty understanding her own emotions or those of her father. Mockingbird is simultaneously sweet, tragic, and funny as we watch Caitlin deal with Devon's death and the changes it brings to her life. This book really promotes trying to understand and empathize with people who are different from us or who act in ways we don't understand. The reader gets tremendous insight into the mind of someone with Asperger's, while at the same time Caitlin learns to look at the world from others' points of view. Mockingbird is a must-read for almost any child, particularly those who come in contact with those who have Asperger's. I would only hesitate giving this book to children who have experienced the death of a sibling or the death of a family member in a violent manner. ( )
  amythelibrarian | Apr 25, 2016 |
In the hopes that we may all understand each other better.
It looks like a one-winged bird crouching in the corner of our living room.

[From back cover]:  In Caitlin's world, everything is black or white.  Things are good or bad.  Anything in between is confusing.  That's the stuff Caitlin's older brother, Devon, has always explained.  But now Devon's dead and Dad is no help at all.  Caitlin wants to get over it, but as an eleven-year-old girl with Asperger's, she doesn't know how.  When she reads the definition of closure, she realizes that is what she needs.  In her search for it, Caitlin discovers that not everything is black and white - the world is full of colors - messy and beautiful.

Ten-year-old Caitlin, who has Asperger's Syndrome, struggles to understand emotions, show empathy, and make friends at school, while at home she seeks closure by working on a project with her father.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,863,467 books! | Top bar: Always visible