Mockingbird by Kathryn Erskine

Title:Mockingbird
Authors:Kathryn Erskine
Info:Scholastic (2011), Paperback, 235 pages

Mockingbird by Kathryn Erskine

The London Eye Mystery by Siobhan Dowd (kaledrina)
    Rules by Cynthia Lord (kaledrina)
    Al Capone Does My Shirts by Gennifer Choldenko (kaledrina)
    Junonia by Kevin Henkes (kaledrina)
    Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin (kimby365)
    kimby365: "Typical" has a male protagonist and involves high-functioning autism (different from Asperger's in a few ways), and it's written completely differently, but both books offer a great insight into the minds of young individuals on the autism spectrum.

Mockingbird is a sweet story of grief and the process of finding closure, no easy task for anyone, let alone ten year old Caitlin who's big brother has always helped her navigate the world. Caitlin is on the autism spectrum and has always relied heavily on her brother Devon to help her, but when he dies in a school shooting, Caitlin and her grieving father face the world after The Day Our Life Fell Apart. With the help of a school counselor, a new friend, and an unfinished project, Caitlin Works At It to find closure for herself, her father, and a town in mourning.

This is a beautifully written story, told from Caitlin's perspective, allowing us to experience first hand the struggles she faces daily in understanding people and the world around her. As she comes to terms with empathy, loss, and closure, you'll find yourself moved as well. ( )
  Tessa.Johnson | Dec 28, 2018 |
Autism is a topic that is hard to discuss for many, but this book paints an accurate description of a young girl struggling to cope with life's tragic events with Asperger's. This unique novel covers how a young girl named Caitlin copes with the lose of her brother due to a school shooting. Her father is deeply depressed and she is trying to cope even though she does not "feel" the emotions. Caitlin and her father decide that what they needed was closure, in the form of a chest, that closes. How great is that! I loved that the author has such a in depth understanding of the mind of a child with Asperger's. She follows through with all of Caitlin's habits, like her need for colors never to mix and her love for definitions. I honestly thought this would be a cliche, but it was true to the characters. I recommend this to any household! ( )
  india_paige | Nov 27, 2018 |
Caitlin, an 11-year-old girl, is struggling to understand and deal with her older brother Devon’s death in a school shooting — an event that staggered her entire community. Aspects of her portrayal lend themselves to discussion especially among an autistic readership.
http://cynthiaparkhill.blogspot.com/2017/02/mockingbird-by-kathryn-erskine.html ( )
  Cynthia_Parkhill | Nov 24, 2018 |
In this book, Kathryn Erskine tells a story about a young girl with Asperger’s Syndrome who learns what empathy and closure is through the death of her brother Devon. Caitlin is eleven years old, lives with her dad and older brother, sees everything in black and white, and takes the phrase quarter cut too literally. That is, until there is a school shooting at her school and a teacher, student, and her brother are shot and killed. Her brother believed that the world was easily understood and everything was either black or white and everything was just confusing. He taught this philosophy to Caitlin, who quickly learns that there is also gray in the world and not everything is clear. She seeks answers through a guidance counselor, her teacher, an art teacher, a new friend Michael, and getting to know Josh. Eventually, her dad comes around and grows through the growth of his daughter, but throughout most of the book he is unhelpful. While Caitlin struggled with processing emotion, her father struggled showing emotion.
I personally enjoyed this book and will suggest it in the future. I really appreciated the scene where Caitlin hears her Physical Education teacher groan about getting stuck with all the Autistic kids and comes to the realization that he was including her in the comment even though she has Asperger’s not Autism. One of my best friends growing up has Autism and another good friend of mine in college has Asperger’s. They were extremely different people with completely different needs and conditions. They are very separate from each other and both lie on a spectrum. I personally relate to this because I have ADHD and people seem to think that because it has the same letters as ADD than it must be the same. They are not. But much like Caitlin, I had to learn how to empathize and find closure with the help of counselors, mentors, time, and experience. I grew up extremely apathetic and still struggle with understanding that other people may have emotional baggage from long before my interaction with them. Meaning that I had to learn that they could be acting on feeling instead of rational. I also never really had anyone very close to me pass growing up so I never really had to experience closure, until my best friend died before his twenty-first birthday. This shook me to my core, challenged my faith, and eventually caused me brake down and seek help. He was such a good person, why do bad things happen to good people? I don’t know if I have actually received closure, but I got a tattoo in honor of him a couple years later and now I get to see him everyday.
School shootings are not going away any time soon. South Park is doing a whole season about it right now. Today we are voting for the midterm elections and Louisiana has nothing on the ballad for gun rights. There is also nothing about prison or marijuana reform, human rights, or affordable housing but I digress. My family and I moved to Colorado the same year Columbine happened, we moved to Denver the year before the Aurora shooting. I was a little older when these things happened so I can’t really imagine how an eleven-year-old child with Asperger’s would have reacted. I appreciate this book for giving me that point of view. ( )
  lmoyers | Nov 13, 2018 |
Mockingbird is a moving story about an eleven-year-old girl with Asperger’s syndrome. Her older brother died in a school shooting and we see what she goes through to get closure from this tragedy. As I was reading I had to keep reminding myself that Caitlin was actually 11, and not 6 or 7. I thought this was an actual good thing because it shows that Erskine was very good with the story of the characters growth. Throughout the book, Erskine shows how Caitlin's art and the way she uses color goes hand in hand with the way she likes to see the world. Black and white are much easier to deal with than colors that can run together and blur. But as she begins to learn about empathy and friendship, she begins to find what she has been looking for closure. Caitlin begins to see that color might be useful. I liked the realness of this book and how it Caitlin tells us everything in a blunt way and does not hide anything. ( )
  Nattamari | Nov 11, 2018 |

Kathryn Erskineprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ickler, IngridTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the hopes that we may all understand each other better.
It looks like a one-winged bird crouching in the corner of our living room.

[From back cover]:  In Caitlin's world, everything is black or white.  Things are good or bad.  Anything in between is confusing.  That's the stuff Caitlin's older brother, Devon, has always explained.  But now Devon's dead and Dad is no help at all.  Caitlin wants to get over it, but as an eleven-year-old girl with Asperger's, she doesn't know how.  When she reads the definition of closure, she realizes that is what she needs.  In her search for it, Caitlin discovers that not everything is black and white - the world is full of colors - messy and beautiful.

Ten-year-old Caitlin, who has Asperger's Syndrome, struggles to understand emotions, show empathy, and make friends at school, while at home she seeks closure by working on a project with her father.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,619,110 books! | Top bar: Always visible