Emotional Intelligence 2.0 by Travis…

Emotional Intelligence 2.0 (2009)

by Travis Bradberry

This was assigned reading for work. So I've read it, and now am tasked with implementing changes in my behavior so I can improve my EQ. Okay, I'll try it, but I have to say that in reading the book, and the included case studies, I do not remember a single one that referred to an educator - of either children or adults. The case studies involved professionals and marketing people. As educators, we have to interact differently with students, and working with adult students, I have to remember that I must be careful about what questions I ask them so that I do not breach their right to privacy. So while I understand the premise, it isn't all applicable to this educator. I have to tweak it quite a bit to make it work. I will make it work, and we'll see what happens when I do this for a few weeks, as the book suggests, and then retest. Will I improve? We'll see.
  ptkpepe98 | Mar 19, 2018 |
First of all, I think the major selling point of this book is that it comes with a free password to an online emotional intelligence test. It then gives you strategies to improve your score in the various areas that you may like to raise your EQ in. I read the library copy so did not have a chance to take the test (which made the first few chapters incredibly boring).

Still there is some helpful strategies in here that people may use to good effect. Most of it seems common sense, but that is what I get for reading a self-help book promising to make you more successful. ( )
  Jamichuk | May 22, 2017 |
Emotional intelligence is about managing yourself and your relationships. Recognizing that they serve a purpose and can also be used to point the way, and strengthen interpersonal bonds. Emotional intelligence is necessary to succeed in life, and in business. The book largely is comprised of exercises of how to strengthen it and is pretty straightforward and practical. ( )
  leecalvink | Nov 8, 2016 |
When I read a concept multiple times, it helps me remember it better and also put it to practice more confidently. For example, this book emphasizes self-awareness as the first and the foremost concept towards a higher EQ. Ms. Kelly McGonigal has said 'Without self-awareness, self-control is useless.' in The Willpower Instinct: There are some very simple and easy to practice self-awareness strategies. I could relate to a good number of them.

The author discusses self-reflection as one of the strategies in knowing yourself. I personally have been practicing (only to some extent) to answer the following questions - What am I feeling?, Why am I feeling it?, and What should I do about it? - should definitely start doing it more.

Relationship management strategies are explained so one can employ them not only with colleagues but in their personal lives as well. The 'Be Open and Be Curious' and 'Take feedback well' strategies sound relatively simple while the 'Only get mad on purpose' is clearly the more challenging one.

Now for the downs. Page 31 gives a picture of IQ, EQ and Personality. It quotes: "Of the three, EQ is the only quality that is flexible and able to change." I'm not very sure of this statement. I've read a few articles online where experts are talking about how personalities changes occur over time. Proper brain training has also shown an improved IQ. The book itself mentions "'Plasticity' is the term neurologists use to describe the brain’s ability to change." on page 74 clearly contradicting its previous statement. Normam Doidge gives many examples of how people changed their entire lives because of a 'plastic' brain in his book - The Brain That Changes Itself. Now, if the author meant to say 'EQ is the easiest to change among them' - that is a different ball game altogether.

And yes, as others mentioned, the ebook version lacks the code required to take the test. ( )
  nmarun | May 1, 2016 |
Much more interesting as the book goes on. The beginnings examples were utterly exhausting, the later information, much more engaging. ( )
  LaPhenix | Dec 31, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0974320625, Hardcover)

In today's fast-paced world of competitive workplaces and turbulent economic conditions, each of us is searching for effective tools that can help us to manage, adapt, and strike out ahead of the pack.

By now, emotional intelligence (EQ) needs little introduction—it’s no secret that EQ is critical to your success. But knowing what EQ is and knowing how to use it to improve your life are two very different things.

Emotional Intelligence 2.0 delivers a step-by-step program for increasing your EQ via four, core EQ skills that enable you to achieve your fullest potential:

1) Self-Awareness
2) Self-Management
3) Social Awareness
4) Relationship Management

Emotional Intelligence 2.0 is a book with a single purpose—increasing your EQ. Here’s what people are saying about it:

Emotional Intelligence 2.0 succinctly explains how to deal with emotions creatively and employ our intelligence in a beneficial way.”
The Dalai Lama

“A fast read with compelling anecdotes and good context in which to understand and improve.”
Newsweek

"Gives abundant, practical findings and insights with emphasis on how to develop EQ. Research shows convincingly that EQ is more important than IQ."
--Stephen R. Covey, author, The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People

"This book can drastically change the way you think about success...read it twice."
--Patrick Lencioni, author, The Five Dysfunctions of a Team

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:47 -0400)

Knowing what emotional intelligence is, and knowing how to use it to improve your life, are two very different things.

Travis Bradberry is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,155,326 books! | Top bar: Always visible