Fallen by Lauren Kate

Fallen

by Lauren Kate

Series: Fallen Series (1)

3,380None1,596 (3.49)120
2010 (22) angels (183) ARC (22) boarding school (18) demons (16) ebook (17) Fallen (17) fallen angels (62) fantasy (129) fiction (100) Georgia (13) high school (13) lauren kate (18) love (32) own (18) paranormal (90) paranormal romance (44) read (32) read in 2010 (14) reform school (24) reincarnation (21) romance (122) series (30) supernatural (42) teen (33) to-read (91) urban fantasy (32) YA (113) young adult (168) young adult fiction (17)

English (294)  German (2)  Japanese (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (299)
When I decided to read this book, I thought it would be great. I was COMPLETELY wrong. Usually, if I set my mind to reading book I can finish it in about 2 hours. Usually that 2 hours is spread throughout my week, but I fly through books.

That wasn't the case for this one. It took me an entire week just to reach chapter five. The book itself has the essence. I don't know why, but while I was reading this book it felt like a story that I have read. But it wasn't a good feeling. I knew exactly what book it was. It was twilight. Luce has this obsession with Daniel and it's just like Bella's obsession with a sparkly vampire named Edward. As soon as I had that thought in my mind, I really started to dread this book. Iv'e heard so many things about it. Good things. I don't know why I can't bring myself to even try to reconsider it. I know I was always told to not judge a book by its cover, but I am judging. Should a book this gorgeous be that bad? I'm not sure. It drove me insane. The cover actually reminds me of the "tumblr face plant". I've seen it everywhere on tumblr and Instgram. Was this where all those girls got it from? Who knows.

You can try reading this book. I wouldn't recommend it. It was a real let down. Some people will love it, some people will absolutely hate it. ( )
  gracezhuang | Apr 14, 2014 |
Poorly written love triangle with boring main character. And you don't learn anything by the end. Not worth the 450 pages it takes to get there... ( )
  KatieCarella | Apr 12, 2014 |
Luce, a girl who accidentally killed her boyfriend in rather like a scene from Supernatural and she was sent into juvie school with the "red"s, black attire and graveyard detentions. She befriended with a lot of people but she end up staring at Daniel and harassed by Cam. And everyone seems shocked that Luce can kiss Daniel and they were together briefly until Luce found out that some dark shades is haunting her, she dreams of her past lifes and her fate of dying all over again and someone was trying to kill her, really badly. Apparently her fate sealed the fates of the mankind by having the probability of starting a apocalyptic war on earth by warring sects of fallen angels (intro music : Carry on Wayward Son).

This book was a whole lot of nothing. Nothing happens. Absolutely nothing. Luce mopes. Daniel spurns her but then gives her some hope that someday in the future he won't. She mopes some more. Weird stuff happens. And then she mopes about the weird stuff. Nothing.at.all.happens.

But because the ending had a big dramatic effect that kept myu attention.. it gets 3 1/2 stars ( )
  sareiner | Apr 9, 2014 |
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

Lucinda (Luce) Price has always been a little strange. She sees malevolent shadows that other people can’t see. After a mysterious fire in which the boy she was with died, she is sent to a reform school in Savannah. On her first day she falls for a gorgeous but aloof boy who seems to want nothing to do with her. His name is Daniel Grigori (no kidding). But Cam, the other gorgeous (and very popular) guy at school, immediately starts pursuing her. Luce is confused by her feelings toward Daniel and alarmed that the shadows are appearing more frequently. With the help of a classmate, she sets out to discover who Daniel Grigori really is.

There’ve been a slew of these sorts of YA paranormal books published in the last few years. Most of them have a single word for a title and involve gorgeous immortal teenagers. There’s usually a love triangle, some incompetent adults, and a school setting. I’m not too keen on the whole genre, but I have an audio copy of this one and the cover is pretty.

How does Fallen stand up? Well, the audio production by Listening Library is excellently narrated by Justine Eyre, and she is probably the only reason I kept listening to Fallen. Luce is not an unlikable protagonist, but she doesn’t do much other than chase Daniel. Even though there’s a supernatural reason why she loves him, it’s still unpleasant to watch her do almost nothing but obsess over him. She tells us how smart and studious she is, but she never proves it. This is a common problem with YA paranormals. (Authors, it’s not enough to tell us your heroine is smart — please show us!)

And here’s another common problem: Why on earth are ancient powerful immortals masquerading as angsty teenagers and choosing to subject themselves to high school classrooms? And, in this case, why are they willingly locked up in a strict gated reform school with a dress code and cameras watching them all the time? Obviously the answer is that the author is trying to appeal to teenagers. It must be working for the target audience, but at my age, I just can’t help but see the glaring ridiculousness of this and it undermines the whole premise. It seems that people who’ve been alive for hundreds of years would have matured beyond adolescence and would choose not to be imprisoned with a bunch of sulky teenagers.

In Fallen there were a lot of other little things that just didn’t seem reasonable — Luce’s parents dropping her off at the school without going in to see what it was like, Luce not asking questions when someone just exploded her entire worldview, others keeping important information from her when it would have made sense to tell her, students sneaking alcohol and all sorts of contraband into the school but not thinking to get a cell phone, girls and boys living across the hall from each other in a reform school, Luce passively letting a murderer tie her to an altar... I could go on.

Unfortunately, Lauren Kate did very little with her setting. I’m familiar with Savannah — it’s a gorgeous sultry city steeped in Southern tradition, but barely a hint of this came out in Fallen. I started to wonder if Lauren Kate had ever been to Savannah. This setting had so much potential — what a shame to miss that opportunity!

Lastly, it’s clear by the end of Fallen that this series is purely a romance. Not much happens other than Luce chasing Daniel and Cam chasing Luce. At the end there’s a weak Heaven vs. Hell sub-plot that’s revealed, but I suspect that it’s only there to prop up the romance.

For teens who don’t worry too much about plot and just want to read a romance with beautiful people in it, or for adults who thought that reform school was the best time of their lives, Fallen will do fine (try the audiobook). For the rest of you, I recommend skipping Fallen. ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
The book really held my attention and although there were the usual YA book clichés the storyline was switched up a bit. I've read other YA books on angels and paranormal issues, but this book I believe can stand it's own ground as a series. Seeing as how relaxed and concentrated I was to consume this book, I'm looking forward to reading the other books in the series. ( )
  Dnaej | Mar 14, 2014 |
Many elements are not resolved, such as the cause of the fire and why angels are at this school. Still, fans of supernatural romance will be lining up for this book despite its flaws, and begging for a sequel.

Lauren Kateprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Eyre, JustineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
But paradise is locked and bolted.... We must make a journey around the world to see if a back door has perhaps been left open. -- Heinrich von Kleist, "On the Puppet Theater"
For my family, with gratitude and love
Around midnight, her eyes at last took shape.
Some things are more important than love. You won’t understand, but you have to trust me.

There's something achingly familiar about Daniel Grigori.

Mysterious and aloof, he captures Luce Price's attention from the moment she sees him on her first day at the Sword & Cross boarding school in sultry Savannah, Georgia. He's the one bright spot in a place where cell phones are forbidden, the other students are all screw-ups, and security cameras watch every move.

Even though Daniel wants nothing to do with Luce--and goes out of his way to make that very clear--she can't let it go. Drawn to him like a moth to a flame, she has to find out what Daniel is so desperate to keep secret . . . even if it kills her.

Dangerously exciting and darkly romantic, Fallen is a page turning thriller and the ultimate love story.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:35 -0400)

Suspected in the death of her boyfriend, seventeen-year-old Luce is sent to a Savannah, Georgia, reform school where she meets two intriguing boys and learns the truth about the strange shadows that have always haunted her.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,475,534 books! | Top bar: Always visible