Fallen by Lauren Kate

Fallen

by Lauren Kate

Series: Fallen Series (1)

English (324)  German (3)  Japanese (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (330)
An interesting start to a series by author Lauren Kate. Luce, or Lucinda, is sent off to reform school after a dark incident occurs involving the death of her boyfriend Trevor. She meets some very interesting characters and tries to fit in at this strange new school. An unexplainable attraction to a boy, Daniel, gives her confusing dreams and makes her feel closer to him than she should feel. Does she know him from somewhere or just think she does? She and a friend dig into his past and find inconclusive information. Just who is this Daniel Grigori and where did he come from? Meanwhile a dark and handsome boy named Cam is trying to win her over, making her confused about what she really wants. Luce has a past she is just beginning to find out about and it might be something she'd rather not know.
I enjoyed this book and look forward to the sequel, Torment, that just came out this year. I did however feel like the entire book left the reader confused about Luce's past and in the end you're still confused. Just another young adult paranormal fantasy, in my humble opinion. I enjoyed the author's voice and will continue the series but it didn't leave me as fascinated as other series have. ( )
  jaimelee77 | Jul 7, 2015 |
I'm part of the minority of readers who didn't love or hate this book. I liked it. Yup. Liked it. Will I be reading the sequel? Yes. I wanna know what happens. Despite all the things that irked me. I still couldn't put the book down. What does this tell me? I must not have hated it that bad. I was just annoyed at some bits.

Like what? Well, Lucinda (great name, by the way) she's kind of....weak. Emotionally weak, that is. She's also...immature. Emotionally immature, that is. For someone who has lived thousands of lives, I don't look forward to hearing how much worse she must've been in those past lives.

The parts I got annoyed were when she exhibited those weak and immature tendencies. Most of all, I just wanted to tell, STICK UP FOR YOURSELF. DAMNIT!! But you know what? It's ok. I forgive you Lauren Kate. Why? Well, because there actually are many teenagers who act just like Luce. Just because I happened to be a confident, capable, emotionally mature teen (wink wink) doesn't allow me to forget how stupid my peers were (some of them, at least).

Most of all, I liked the story. Yeah, of course it bothered me that as soon as another guy kissed her Daniel punched him in the face...showing classic dominant agusive tendencies. But later we learn that one is an angel and the other is the devil. So, I let that slide.

Yeah yeah...sue me. I like a good story. And, I really want to know what happens. Maybe now that Luce knows what's what-- she'll show more confidence and strength. Oh I hope so. Because this series could get downright awesome with some kick ass females. ( )
  Diamond.Dee. | Jul 3, 2015 |
I have a very bad habit. It's biased me into giving 5 stars to this book when I was a young and naive reader.

Everytime I go on a trip, I always buy a book in the airport bookstore to read on the plane. Since I'm terrified of planes, this is usually a welcome distraction.

Here's where Fallen comes in. Fallen became a captivating read for me from the very beginning. I loved the original premise, and I also really enjoyed the "fallen angel" theme, because it was the first book that I read with that theme.

Now, reevaluating my feelings for the book vs how good the book really was, I'm thinking I was a bit too... quick to give out my rating.

Fallen is an interesting read. It really is. But there's a really big problem for me with this book, and it's the main character, Luce. Luce is so annoying. I really can't believe the way she became obssessed over Daniel just by looking at him. I don't really believe that's normal.

Also, the whole "stay away from me, I'm not good enough for you" or "I'm going to hurt you because I'm such a monster" crap gets on my nerves a lot in the YA genre, and this particularly irritated me in the book.

I feel as if this book was one of those generalized, "let's throw in anything that can make it popular!" kind of books. I feel harsh for saying this, but there were so many things going on that it was easy to get lost if you didn't pay close attention.

I enjoyed the paranormal elements, just not the way that they were portrayed.

I know I'm writing this review a few years after reading the book, but I've read this book so many times that I remember all the details. Also, it's not that complex as to forget what it's about..

I'm dropping from 5 stars to 3.5, which I'll just make into 4. ( )
  mariannelee_0902 | Jul 1, 2015 |
some great some bad..started slow but loved the characters by the end. couldnt wait to get book 2 but its starting slow too...ugh not a fan of her writing style...but a fan of the storyline and character daniel. ( )
  Alwaysmidnight | Jun 16, 2015 |
I'm kind of torn on this book. I enjoyed the idea of the story itself: a dark, gothic romance. The setting was great: a crumbling old reform school in the Georgia swamps with Civil War cemetaries all around. The thing I couldn't really get into: The main character, Luce. She's a lot like Bella Swan, she's pretty much useless and she has no other interests other than her man. Okay, Luce likes to swim but that seems to be pretty much it. Boring, right? She's not particularly likeable or smart and she loves to blame herself for everything. I certainly don't understand why Luce and Daniel are so special that the fate of the friggin world depends on them. There were a few interesting characters, Gabbe, Arianne, Roland, Cam....they kept things from being completely logged down in boring, drippy teenage romance. And I really did like Kate's description of Luce's "shadows." They were really creepy and well-drawn. I'm planning on reading the next volume simply because I'm curious to learn more about them and this battle between the angels. I want to see what Kate will do with it. ( )
  Bookish.Heart | Jun 11, 2015 |
Many elements are not resolved, such as the cause of the fire and why angels are at this school. Still, fans of supernatural romance will be lining up for this book despite its flaws, and begging for a sequel.

Lauren Kateprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Eyre, JustineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
But paradise is locked and bolted.... We must make a journey around the world to see if a back door has perhaps been left open. -- Heinrich von Kleist, "On the Puppet Theater"
For my family, with gratitude and love
Around midnight, her eyes at last took shape.
Some things are more important than love. You won’t understand, but you have to trust me.

There's something achingly familiar about Daniel Grigori.

Mysterious and aloof, he captures Luce Price's attention from the moment she sees him on her first day at the Sword & Cross boarding school in sultry Savannah, Georgia. He's the one bright spot in a place where cell phones are forbidden, the other students are all screw-ups, and security cameras watch every move.

Even though Daniel wants nothing to do with Luce--and goes out of his way to make that very clear--she can't let it go. Drawn to him like a moth to a flame, she has to find out what Daniel is so desperate to keep secret . . . even if it kills her.

Dangerously exciting and darkly romantic, Fallen is a page turning thriller and the ultimate love story.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:51 -0400)

Suspected in the death of her boyfriend, seventeen-year-old Luce is sent to a Savannah, Georgia, reform school where she meets two intriguing boys and learns the truth about the strange shadows that have always haunted her.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,380,908 books! | Top bar: Always visible