dismiss

Fallen by Lauren Kate

Fallen

by Lauren Kate

Series: Fallen (1)

Suspected in the death of her boyfriend, seventeen-year-old Luce is sent to a Savannah, Georgia, reform school where she meets two intriguing boys and learns the truth about the strange shadows that have always haunted her.
Recently added byGlendawatters, KayP88, rena40, misslyns78, erinrita, Yrrol, Serrana, allebasi15, private library

English (367)  German (3)  Dutch (2)  Japanese (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (375)
I started Fallen the first time about six months ago. I read the first 50 pages and stopped. I picked it back up today, skipped the first 50 pages and started reading, and kept reading until I finished the book. It went a lot better the second try. I wanted a quick and easy read and that's what I got. Lauren Kate does a really good job of partially out her information to where when the book ended, I wasn't really sure I'd learned anything except that Luce and Daniel loved each other. And all that mystery definitely makes me want to pick up Torment. ( )
  melrailey | Apr 7, 2020 |
I really loved this book towards the beginning, but my interested waned considerably towards the end. I think what drew me to the book was Luce's crazy life and crazy friends at Sword and Cross boarding school, but what turned me off was how things soured, especially the weirdness with Cam. 50 pages in I was desperate to finish, but at the very end I was less so. The concept has me curious, however, and I'll definitely be following this one. ( )
  t1bnotown | Jan 19, 2020 |
I tried to like this book, I really did. But I couldn't; there were so many parts that disappointed me. I was really excited about it too, despite the staggering amounts of negative ratings I noticed beforehand. I thought, I'll be different; I'll probably like this book. It has mysterious star-crossed romance with a paranormal aspect, which sounded really appealing to me. But no. I'm sad to say that I did not enjoy this book very much.

Luce is a seventeen year old girl who is forced to attend a boarding school for reform kids. It is a miserable place that is equally dull and terrifying, but life suddenly becomes much more interesting when she meets fellow student Daniel. Luce feels drawn to him in a way that she can't explain, and she spends a good part of the book stalking him. Which leads to one of my complaints.

I'm not exaggerating; she actually becomes a stalker. This wouldn't have bothered me as much if she didn't spend over half the book doing it. I understand it was probably there for Luce to find clues and figure out the mystery of Daniel, but still...I found it creepy and rather boring.

The love triangle is an immediate star deducted--I despise them. Here's the thing: Luce spends the entire book immensely attracted to Daniel, but also spends the entire first half admiring the other guy. Oftentimes I'd feel bad for the other guy for getting led on by Luce when she knows she likes Daniel better. Even though stuff happened at the end, the love triangle still appears to be going on, and I'm not sure of the other guy's intentions at all. It is extremely frustrating, and not in a good way.

Speaking of uncertainty, many parts of the book are unclear. Even though the "big reveal" happens towards the end, they hardly answer any questions and raise even more. I'm not sure of the roles of any of the characters except Luce. Everything feels rushed, and there were random deaths and betrayals that felt out of place and plain wrong. These might be strategies to get readers to continue the series, but if they are, they are certainly not working on me. The writing itself is easy to understand, but the plot and story are a whole different story.

One other major problem I had was the paranormal aspect. It's not the genre itself that bothered me; it was the backstory and how it was explained. Okay, this is probably more of a personal issue, but I was rather iffy on the religious theme and implications that being religious is better than not. Granted, the slight religion was inevitable because of the type of paranormal that was involved...however, I shy away from novels that are preachy in the slightest, and this felt a little strong. But like I mentioned, it's more of a personal issue than any other.

With all that being said, the reason I made my rating two stars instead of one is because I did like reading about the strangeness of Daniel and his connection to Luce. It was an intriguing concept and a romantic one too, however boring the investigation (stalking) was. That was really nice.

I do not recommend this one. The only conditions I can think of that would make someone like this is if they don't mind love triangles and are only looking for a bit of light fluff reading; the kind that doesn't always make sense. But in general, I do not advise anyone to read this. ( )
  KendraJ. | Dec 10, 2019 |
Great concept, relatively poor execution. Way, waaaaaay too much telling versus far too little showing. A rather unappealing main character: what exactly is so special about Luce (or is it Lucifer? IS IT?) that makes an angel love her more than God? The idea is romantic but I can't see it so far. I expect I'll have to read Passion to understand. Which I will. Kate has interested me enough to continue reading her series. Here's hoping the mechanics of her craft improve to match her excellent ideas. ( )
  otaginenbutsuji | Nov 12, 2019 |
Lucinda Prince (Luce) has always been surrounded by the shadows, which creeps and slither its way into her life and ultimately ruins everything she comes into contact with. Ever since she was a young girl she’s been seeing these shadows and it’s made her family question her sanity to such an extent that she’s been deemed clinically insane. When her boyfriend mysteriously succumbs though, she’s the prime suspect and because of that, she’s sent to a reform school, where her life will take both a turn for the worse and for the better… it all depends how she looks at it.

Fallen by Lauren Kate is a novel that will give the fantasy romance audience a good old push into a different direction as a seemingly edgier heroine is presented with a band of odd characters, which are all unique in their own ways, to give us a tale of not vampires, but in fact angels. Here we get a glimpse into a whole different mythology for the younger audience, which will keep the reader enthralled for quite a big portion of the book and although it is enjoyable until the end, readers should be aware that this is not the type of book that will appeal to just anybody. That being said, even though Luce, the heroine, is raised an agnostic, people should bear in mind that the heavy religiousness that’s usually involved when it comes to angels is present.

Frankly, I don’t know what to think about this book. It was enjoyable and different in a lot of ways, but I feel that Lauren Kate may have fallen into that trap of creating an unattainable hero type of character in the form of David… He’s just as broody as any other hero from young adult novels and frankly, I like Cam a lot more. This made me wonder why authors in general create these Fabio males, when we all know there’s really no way that type of man exist (don’t give me that “you’re sexist” nonsense… I’m not saying men are in general bad, I’m just saying that men in general don’t have a five foot wingspan). As for the ending though, it was predictable. Don’t get me wrong though, sometimes predictability in books can be good, but it seemed rambled off and rushed, which gave me the impression that Lauren Kate didn’t really know how to end the book. One of the positive things about the book is that you can see some sort of research that had gone into the writing of the books, seeing as angels are a difficult mythology to really understand fully.

On a side note though, Fallen was fairly good and for those who are looking for a new series to read, give it a shot. Considering that most of the vampire series’ (The Vampire Diaries, The Sookie Stackhouse Novels) are in limbo at the moment, throwing a few angels into the mix aren’t as bad. I’d give it a solid 5/10.

(Originally posted at http://www.killeraphrodite.com/2012/08/book-review-fallen-lauren-kate/ )
  MoniqueSnyman | Oct 3, 2019 |
Many elements are not resolved, such as the cause of the fire and why angels are at this school. Still, fans of supernatural romance will be lining up for this book despite its flaws, and begging for a sequel.

Lauren Kateprimary authorall editionscalculated
Eyre, JustineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
But paradise is locked and bolted.... We must make a journey around the world to see if a back door has perhaps been left open. -- Heinrich von Kleist, "On the Puppet Theater"
For my family, with gratitude and love
Around midnight, her eyes at last took shape.
Some things are more important than love. You won’t understand, but you have to trust me.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,477,948 books! | Top bar: Always visible