Fallen by Lauren Kate

Fallen

by Lauren Kate

Series: Fallen Series (1)

English (316)  German (3)  Japanese (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (322)
Fallen is a story that you could say is like Twilight and Hush Hush had a baby. The antagonist in this story is named Lucinda Price who goes by Luce rather than Lucinda who has been tormented by these things she calls "shadows" that only she can see, which gets her into a boarding school that is full of students who aren't entirely sane or mentally stable. A girl named Arrian (I don't remember how her name was spelled...) shows Luce around the school and that is when Luce sees the one, the only and the most gorgeous being in the would, Daniel Grigory. The first thing Daniel does when he and Luce make eye contact is flip her off. Later on, on her first day a bully, who goes by Molly, finds out that Luce is a vegetarian and decides to dumb her tray full of meat on Luce. This is when Luce meet the only mentally stable person in the school, Penn. As the book goes on Luce is in school learning and deciding who her enemies and who her friends are, and also sees that Gorgeous Daniel Grigory goes out of his way to show Luce that he wants nothing to do with her. There is also another person in the school that Luce befriends and his name is Cam. Cam is a nice enough guy until towards the end of the book ( I just skipped A LOT of spoilers soooooooo yeah) Cam, Arrian, a girl who I forgot the name of, a guy named Roland who is good friends with Daniel, and precious Daniel Grigory himself, who turns out to be deeply in love with Luce, are all fallen angels.
This book was such a fast read for me and I really loved the book, until the HUGE PLOT TWIST THAT CAME OUT OF NOWHERE AND DIDN'T REALLY MAKE SENSE came up, that's why I didn't give this book five stars. The only spoiler I'm giving, other than how a lot of people are fallen angels, is that Penn, Luce's closest friend in the miserable boarding school, gets slit in the throat by a psycho teacher. Other than that I really enjoyed the book and spent all of my free time reading it. It's a love story between a fallen angel and a girl who [insert HUGE spoiler here]...
I would definitely suggest this book to people who like stuff about fallen angels and romantic-ish love story type books. I read books really slow and for me this was a quick read, I finished this book in less than a week. The most annoying part of the book was the plot twist and how it felt like too many people turned out being fallen angels. ( )
  AnatoliaR.B1 | Apr 18, 2015 |
Mystery, drama, romance... this book has a little bit of everything. The author does a good job at keeping you guessing, and there were many things that happened that I didn't see coming, which is always nice. ( )
  SallyB52 | Mar 30, 2015 |
This was a great story, it kept me interested, and I couldn't put it down. The only thing that kept it from 5 stars, which may be trivial, but it annoyed me, was Luce's reaction at the end, when it all came out. Really it was just her response, for example telling an evil angel to "shutup". PA-LEASE! So cheesy. And, when it's obvious two important someone's are about to fight, and just saying "So, what does this battle mean?" Just so flat, who would say that? If, the author was going to make her nonchalant over the whole thing, then maybe give us some reasoning why...she feels a sense of calm, like she's done this before, whatever...but honestly, lame response from Luce at the end. I really liked her up until that point. I'll still read Torment, since the story is very interesting, hope that Luce's character developes more smoothely. ( )
  sgcastellini | Feb 6, 2015 |
Truthfully I only finished [b:Fallen|6487308|Fallen (Fallen, #1)|Lauren Kate|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1268869615s/6487308.jpg|6678670] because I made myself finish it to try and give it a chance. Oh dear life should I just have put it down and never looked back. I have so many problems with this book its not even funny, but I'll only list a few here.

First but not least, Luce drives me insane. Does she whine? Check! Complain? Check! Fall in love with the first males she sets her eyes on? Check! Do basically nothing and need to be rescued a lot? Check! In addition she is yet another female character that continues to be obsessed with a guy who treats her like crap. She also acts like a stalker.

Daniel, the super hot mysterious male (the fact the reader is bashed over the head with EVERY time he comes up) is a jerk, and refuses to give Luce any information, because as a woman she just couldn't possibly handle it. So of course when he finally does tell her parts of his secret, Luce in fact can't handle it and runs the eff off. Daniel is also super selfish. If he really loved Luce he would actually stay away from her not get near her and end up killing her over and over again!

The author also seems to think her readers are stupid. She acts like Daniel's secret of being an angel isn't glaringly obvious to the reader almost the entire book and instead has it jump out of giant styrofoam cake at the end like no one knew it was there. Yeah.... no.

Overall, don't bother with this book and find something else to read. ( )
  luminescent_bookworm | Jan 27, 2015 |
Haven't read far enough to get to the bad stuff. Which is fine with me. ( )
  IsaboeOfLumatere | Jan 14, 2015 |
Many elements are not resolved, such as the cause of the fire and why angels are at this school. Still, fans of supernatural romance will be lining up for this book despite its flaws, and begging for a sequel.

Lauren Kateprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Eyre, JustineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
But paradise is locked and bolted.... We must make a journey around the world to see if a back door has perhaps been left open. -- Heinrich von Kleist, "On the Puppet Theater"
For my family, with gratitude and love
Around midnight, her eyes at last took shape.
Some things are more important than love. You won’t understand, but you have to trust me.

There's something achingly familiar about Daniel Grigori.

Mysterious and aloof, he captures Luce Price's attention from the moment she sees him on her first day at the Sword & Cross boarding school in sultry Savannah, Georgia. He's the one bright spot in a place where cell phones are forbidden, the other students are all screw-ups, and security cameras watch every move.

Even though Daniel wants nothing to do with Luce--and goes out of his way to make that very clear--she can't let it go. Drawn to him like a moth to a flame, she has to find out what Daniel is so desperate to keep secret . . . even if it kills her.

Dangerously exciting and darkly romantic, Fallen is a page turning thriller and the ultimate love story.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:35 -0400)

Suspected in the death of her boyfriend, seventeen-year-old Luce is sent to a Savannah, Georgia, reform school where she meets two intriguing boys and learns the truth about the strange shadows that have always haunted her.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,174,910 books! | Top bar: Always visible