Fallen by Lauren Kate

Fallen

by Lauren Kate

Series: Fallen Series (1)

English (315)  German (3)  Japanese (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (321)
This was a great story, it kept me interested, and I couldn't put it down. The only thing that kept it from 5 stars, which may be trivial, but it annoyed me, was Luce's reaction at the end, when it all came out. Really it was just her response, for example telling an evil angel to "shutup". PA-LEASE! So cheesy. And, when it's obvious two important someone's are about to fight, and just saying "So, what does this battle mean?" Just so flat, who would say that? If, the author was going to make her nonchalant over the whole thing, then maybe give us some reasoning why...she feels a sense of calm, like she's done this before, whatever...but honestly, lame response from Luce at the end. I really liked her up until that point. I'll still read Torment, since the story is very interesting, hope that Luce's character developes more smoothely. ( )
  sgcastellini | Feb 6, 2015 |
Truthfully I only finished [b:Fallen|6487308|Fallen (Fallen, #1)|Lauren Kate|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1268869615s/6487308.jpg|6678670] because I made myself finish it to try and give it a chance. Oh dear life should I just have put it down and never looked back. I have so many problems with this book its not even funny, but I'll only list a few here.

First but not least, Luce drives me insane. Does she whine? Check! Complain? Check! Fall in love with the first males she sets her eyes on? Check! Do basically nothing and need to be rescued a lot? Check! In addition she is yet another female character that continues to be obsessed with a guy who treats her like crap. She also acts like a stalker.

Daniel, the super hot mysterious male (the fact the reader is bashed over the head with EVERY time he comes up) is a jerk, and refuses to give Luce any information, because as a woman she just couldn't possibly handle it. So of course when he finally does tell her parts of his secret, Luce in fact can't handle it and runs the eff off. Daniel is also super selfish. If he really loved Luce he would actually stay away from her not get near her and end up killing her over and over again!

The author also seems to think her readers are stupid. She acts like Daniel's secret of being an angel isn't glaringly obvious to the reader almost the entire book and instead has it jump out of giant styrofoam cake at the end like no one knew it was there. Yeah.... no.

Overall, don't bother with this book and find something else to read. ( )
  luminescent_bookworm | Jan 27, 2015 |
Haven't read far enough to get to the bad stuff. Which is fine with me. ( )
  IsaboeOfLumatere | Jan 14, 2015 |
Without giving too much away, the story first revolves around Lucinda Price and these dark shadows that have consumed her life. Events have led her to end up in a boarding school called Sword & Cross, which is where she meets Daniel and other individuals. As she is getting know Daniel, the story starts to unfold and she learns about how they are in a certain way destined to be together.
I was worried that Fallen would have the same outline as other young adult novels that I have read but it definitely took me by surprise! I thought I knew where the story line was headed and it really took a turn to somewhere that I didn't see coming. I don't think I've really read anything of the same concept that surrounds Luce and Daniel. That story line alone kept me entertained, which is a good thing considering I was starting to get tired of reading the same story in young adult novels over and over again.
I will be continuing on with this series. After a little research, I also found that they are making Fallen into a movie. I can't wait to see how well the book comes alive on the big screen. ( )
  justwordedlines | Jan 4, 2015 |
I liked it. It's an ok book. I can see why it's compared to Twilight a lot though. It's got a girl and she in an unfamiliar setting and one she's not that keen on ....but she puts up with it because she likes a boy there ....but he doesn't like her much.... or does he? Then there's this other boy, who does like her and tells her the first boy is no good, and she sort of likes him.....but not as much as the first boy..... but maybe she sort of does.... and the 2 boys don't like each other so are pitted against each other to win her....and then there's these other characters who all close ranks on the first boy to protect his mystery.....

It's familiar and similar to counless other YA fiction on the shelves lately. But it's still ok. I'd say give it a go. Just know what you're getting into.

My only problem with the book is this - I'd have given it 5 stars but for one reason. If only the first 300 pages had been condensed into around 50 and then the rest of the story could have continued from page 300 as usual, then it would have been great. I liked the first chapter and then it all...went....sort...of.....drawn.....out....longer..... than...... it ......needed......to......

The back story could have been summarised in well less than 300 pages. I think that's why the ending is so unsatisfying. After such a long drawn out story about not much we get to the REALLY good stuff that we're looking for and it was all crammed into a chapter or 3 at the end and if I'm honest, it was a bit GetItAllOverAsFastAsPossibleBecauseItsRanOnForLong​.

It can make the transition from YA to adult and mostly it's an easy read but don't expect to be raving about it to your friends next day because for all it's a good story, it's just ok, it's not fantastic.

Having said that, I'll be reading the next one 'Torment' when it comes out and hoping that it's all story with no drag factor. ( )
  SilverThistle | Dec 30, 2014 |
Many elements are not resolved, such as the cause of the fire and why angels are at this school. Still, fans of supernatural romance will be lining up for this book despite its flaws, and begging for a sequel.

Lauren Kateprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Eyre, JustineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
But paradise is locked and bolted.... We must make a journey around the world to see if a back door has perhaps been left open. -- Heinrich von Kleist, "On the Puppet Theater"
For my family, with gratitude and love
Around midnight, her eyes at last took shape.
Some things are more important than love. You won’t understand, but you have to trust me.

There's something achingly familiar about Daniel Grigori.

Mysterious and aloof, he captures Luce Price's attention from the moment she sees him on her first day at the Sword & Cross boarding school in sultry Savannah, Georgia. He's the one bright spot in a place where cell phones are forbidden, the other students are all screw-ups, and security cameras watch every move.

Even though Daniel wants nothing to do with Luce--and goes out of his way to make that very clear--she can't let it go. Drawn to him like a moth to a flame, she has to find out what Daniel is so desperate to keep secret . . . even if it kills her.

Dangerously exciting and darkly romantic, Fallen is a page turning thriller and the ultimate love story.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:35 -0400)

Suspected in the death of her boyfriend, seventeen-year-old Luce is sent to a Savannah, Georgia, reform school where she meets two intriguing boys and learns the truth about the strange shadows that have always haunted her.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,168,165 books! | Top bar: Always visible