Fallen by Lauren Kate

Fallen

by Lauren Kate

Series: Fallen Series (1)

English (303)  German (2)  Japanese (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (308)
I have always been a voracious reader. But I have not always been a critical one. I used to read books, love them while I was reading them, then more or less discard them - give them back to their owner or put them back on the shelf, never to be thought of again unless they REALLY made an impression on me. Fallen was a book I read five years ago at age fifteen. At the time I gave it four stars. Unfortunately I did not include a review, which may have enlightened present day me to why I seemed to enjoy it so much. I can hazard a guess - forbidden love story off the back of Twilight, paranormal elements, yadda yadda yadda.

My choice of Fallen for my blog's first Series Binge Read came from the fact I never actually finished this series. Goodreads said I read books two and three, but I can't remember them at all. Given the high rating my 15 year old self gave the books, I thought, what could go wrong?

A lot, it seems.

I was only a couple of pages in when I knew that I wasn't going to enjoy this. The writing was a bit all over the place, clumsy phrases, sentences I had to say out loud to see if they actually made sense. And the introduction of our judgmental heroine, who on her first day of reform school is making comments to herself and making passing judgments on other students she hasn't even spoken to, despite the fact that she herself must look an absolute treat with her hair half burned off and cut raggedly. I knew then that my reread of Fallen was not going to go well.

To keep track of my thoughts I made numerous status updates and tweeted as I was reading, something I'd never really done before but unfortunately this measures could not keep in check the frustration I felt at having to read such poorly written rubbish about an uninteresting and plain stupid heroine, a dude who gives her all the signs to piss off and her creepy stalker-like obsession with him for absolute no reason except that she's 'drawn to him'. And he's meant to be the good guy!

Need some context? Lucinda, or Luce, Price is sent to reform school Sword & Cross after a tragic accident involving a classmate from the prep school she used to attend. No evidence, no tangible proof, but she was there so she must be involved, so the solution is obviously to send her to reform school though nobody actually knows what she did. Who needs logic, right? In her first hour she meets the almost kind of wonderful Arianne, who needed more presence in this book, and spots Daniel, a gorgeous guy who gives her the finger. She doesn't even know him but yet, suddenly, she is obsessed. He flips her off and fifteen minutes later she's wondering where he is. To most people this sort of behaviour would shout "JACKASS" but not to Luce, who proceeds over the next week to stalk him obsessively, with the help of poor Penn who did nothing but just want to make a friend and instead got stuck with Luce.

Despite Daniel's repeated warnings that he wants nothing to do with her, Luce refuses to get the hint. She does stupid and dangerous things like get into cars with people she doesn't know to see a (different) boy she says she doesn't like but also thinks about when not obsessing over Daniel, and is just a pain to read about. There is also nothing significant that happens over the course of the book, except the drawn out revelation that Daniel is a fallen angel (not even going to bother writing SPOILER because honestly you should have worked that out already. You're not Luce) and then some angel fighting and stuff.

Daniel is an absolute idiot. He is the cause of all of this and he could stop it. Take himself far away to the ends of the Earth where his love won't cause Luce to die and reincarnate every seventeen years and he could stay the hell away from her and maybe not kiss her? But nope. It's like he doesn't even try. Surely if you loved her that much - for reasons unknown - maybe you would want to keep her alive by staying away! That's the other thing - we do not know why they're so in love, except for the fact that they were in love in Luce's previous lives. Both are obsessed with how good looking the other is and we are never given any tangible reason why their love should last, why it's better than anything else. But it's okay - he's hot.

What frustrates me most is that at times, Luce realises she is crazy and a stalker and stupid. But this does not cause her to change her behaviour in any way. She notices that he is 'aggressively rude and uninterested' in her so why does she pursue it? And it also becomes alright and forgotten about once the revelation that they're so in love. But it's not okay! She is crazy and needs to go to a real reform school. Why the hell are angels in reform school anyway, don't they have better things to do?

Like a lot of other readers who have given this book a low star rating, I too would have liked to see Luce killed by the villain because every word she spoke was 100% true. I don't know why the angels care about an insignificant human and to be honest, I don't care. I am really regretting this choice for my Series Binge Read but I will soldier on, like I did with Hush, Hush. Although my rating for Hush, Hush was higher even though I disliked both Patch and Nora, at least they had a cool fallen angel storyline. This book, so far, has nothing.

One down, four to go! ( )
  crashmyparty | Sep 5, 2014 |
The movie adaptation of this novel is scheduled for release on January 1st, 2015.

Luce is sent to a reform school after an incident involving her that led to a boy’s death. She was alone with the boy and was unable to explain what happened, therefore looking suspicious to the police and the other kids at her school. They did not prosecute her, so I’m still a little fuzzy on why she was sent to reform school and not simply a different school in a different town, but that’s the story, so I just went with it. Luce has a history of seeing malicious shadows that show up before something bad happens. She saw the shadows the night the boy died, but knew better than to mention them to the police. When she had talked to her parents about the shadows in the past, she had ended up on anti-psychotic medication. Eventually, she found that if she just said she didn’t see them anymore, she would be taken off the medication. Anyhow, Luce arrives at this reform school, “Sword and Cross”, and things start out bad from the beginning. She has to get rid of her cell phone and is only allowed one fifteen minute phone call a week, the staff seem very strict, and the place looks like a dump. However, she comes across another student named Daniel, and her feelings about being at the school start to change. She feels like she’s known him before and she feels inexplicably drawn to him. Unfortunately, he won’t give her the time of day and even seems hostile towards her. Nevertheless, she becomes somewhat obsessed by her feelings towards him and puts effort into understanding who he is. Meanwhile, she is getting attention from Cam, another boy in the school. He is very nice to her and pretty open that he wants to be involved with her. Should she just forget about Daniel and accept Cam’s attentions, or should she put all her effort into Daniel, despite his attitude? Luce makes a few girl friends at Sword and Cross. One of them, Penn, is such a great character. She’s nice, spirited, and seems to really enjoy helping Luce however she can. Arriane is a little different. She seems to be a friend, but she seems a little standoffish as well. Or, at least, I thought so. But, she is a friend and she comes to Luce’s defense multiple times in the book. I just had a little trouble figuring her out until the end of the book. So, Luce, with Penn’s help, has a big decision to make between Cam and Daniel. Which will she pick? Will it be the right choice? Why does it even matter? Read the book to find out!

I actually read Fallen a few months ago, but when I decided to read the sequel, “Torment”, I had trouble remembering much more than the basics about Fallen and felt lost and confused. So, I decided I would re-read it and give a review as well, rather than jumping to the second book in the series. Also, since I found out the movie was coming out, I was itching to read it again anyway.

I loved this book the first time I read it. I was all kinds of caught up in the star-crossed romance. I still liked Fallen this time around, but it wasn’t as spellbinding for me as it was before. Maybe that’s just because I already knew the ending though. I don’t know. I’ll tell you what bothered me about it this time though. The love triangle thing has been used so many times, it annoys me now. So, Luce’s involvement with Cam while she was pining after Daniel was a little irritating, but also understandable. I mean, if the boy you like is downright rude to you, why wouldn’t you be tempted to be involved with another guy who actually notices you? Still, it bothered me a little. Also, the plot, once you get to it, seems really complicated yet really simple at the same time. Basically, it’s a battle between good and evil, but the romance between Luce and Daniel is central to this epic battle. Why? Hopefully the sequels explain a little better. I do like Luce as a main character. She’s pretty true to life, I think. She’s seventeen and she’s had to deal with a lot of scary, bad stuff already, so her confusion and moroseness is to be expected. I’m having a little trouble understanding all of Daniel’s behavior, but I’m expecting that will make more sense later in the series. I really liked Cam. He seemed so much nicer than Daniel, but then of course, it turns out there’s something very wrong with Cam. Hopefully that’s not too much of a spoiler. I thought the characters’ behavior was realistic. I hate reading about teens who somehow have everything together and don’t make stupid mistakes or bad decisions. It’s just not realistic. Stupid mistakes are part of being a teenager. Not that teens are stupid, it’s just you’re unlikely to find one who knows what they’re doing and makes the right choices all the time. Anyhow, despite the few irritations I had with the book this time around, I still thought it was a good book and I would recommend it. ( )
  Aeroette | Sep 4, 2014 |
Luce is a cardboard cutout girl with no particular agency, intelligence or ability to think for herself. She does have some kind of wing kink going no but that's about it. She goes to reform school because she somehow burnt a building down but she didn't really do it but how she managed to burn a place down without really doing it is never addressed. She is randomly befriended by people without making any effort, bounces around always doing the last possible thing suggested to her and then acting surprised when it turns out wrong. She's madly in love with this guy she saw a few times. He jumps rope like a god. A GOD! Only he isn't a god. It takes her a depressingly long time to work out what he is thought anyone who reads the book jacket already knows. Meanwhile she is courted by a guy who actually shows some interest in her but he's no good for her. Look forward to to purple prose, badly written fight scenes, random changes of character, Luce's complete inability to act sensibly and think for herself and seizure wings. Also nobody can tell her the truth or explain themselves fully because reasons. Hers is a star-crossed love but is, obviously and predictably, ultimately justified when boy who ignores her stops ignoring her. Which just goes to show you that boys who seem to care about you are evil and boys who ignore you are the way to go. Good to know. ( )
  TPauSilver | Sep 3, 2014 |
A little bit too predictable and the characters were bland. I really loved Penn though, by far the best character in the book. ( )
  forsakenfates | Aug 25, 2014 |
This book just didn't grab my attention. I won't be finishing it, nor reading other books in the series.
  nycke137 | Jul 29, 2014 |
Many elements are not resolved, such as the cause of the fire and why angels are at this school. Still, fans of supernatural romance will be lining up for this book despite its flaws, and begging for a sequel.

Lauren Kateprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Eyre, JustineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
But paradise is locked and bolted.... We must make a journey around the world to see if a back door has perhaps been left open. -- Heinrich von Kleist, "On the Puppet Theater"
For my family, with gratitude and love
Around midnight, her eyes at last took shape.
Some things are more important than love. You won’t understand, but you have to trust me.

There's something achingly familiar about Daniel Grigori.

Mysterious and aloof, he captures Luce Price's attention from the moment she sees him on her first day at the Sword & Cross boarding school in sultry Savannah, Georgia. He's the one bright spot in a place where cell phones are forbidden, the other students are all screw-ups, and security cameras watch every move.

Even though Daniel wants nothing to do with Luce--and goes out of his way to make that very clear--she can't let it go. Drawn to him like a moth to a flame, she has to find out what Daniel is so desperate to keep secret . . . even if it kills her.

Dangerously exciting and darkly romantic, Fallen is a page turning thriller and the ultimate love story.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:35 -0400)

Suspected in the death of her boyfriend, seventeen-year-old Luce is sent to a Savannah, Georgia, reform school where she meets two intriguing boys and learns the truth about the strange shadows that have always haunted her.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,800,723 books! | Top bar: Always visible