Fallen by Lauren Kate

Title:Fallen
Authors:Lauren Kate
Info:Ember (2010), Paperback, 496 pages

Fallen by Lauren Kate

Recently added byMusefall, bookjunkie57, sreeparna, blog_gal, private library, tigergirl3000

English (295)  German (2)  Japanese (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (300)
I'll be honest - I read this one for the cover. I saw it back in August and just loved it. I mean, look at it. Gorgeous!

The book itself though, not so much. It was a relatively entertaining, quick read, but on the whole it didn't do too much for me. I really like the concept of fallen angels (who are poised to take over the throne from vampires, apparently), but I feel like so much more could have been done with it.

I suppose the biggest problem I have is the characters. The only ones who have any personality are Arriane and Penn. None of the other characters - Luce and Daniel included - seemed remotely real. Luce doesn't do much besides feel sorry for herself and moan about how misunderstood she is, how she doesn't belong in a place like Sword & Cross, etc. She wasn't all the bright either - I mean, you figure out that this guy you've been seeing is essentially a violent control freak, so when he leaves you a note telling you to get in the car and the driver will take you to him god-knows-where, you actually go? Really? I'm pretty sure this is the type of situation my parents were referring to when they told me "Don't get in the car - if you do, you'll probably never be seen again."

Ok, enough ranting about Luce. It got better towards the end, with some surprising twists and others you saw coming, and once Luce finally figures out what's going on, some of the fallen angel stuff gets pretty cool. My three stars is more like a two and a half - but decent enough that it gets rounded up to three rather than down to two. There's enough romance in this with the same sense of mystery that Twilight has that I think it will do well - after all, Disney already has a movie in the works, and there's a sequel on the way. ( )
  bookwormam | Jul 8, 2014 |
Loved the darkness and all, but it wasn't that good, Daniel could not have had less of a personality. ( )
  katie1802 | May 10, 2014 |
When I decided to read this book, I thought it would be great. I was COMPLETELY wrong. Usually, if I set my mind to reading book I can finish it in about 2 hours. Usually that 2 hours is spread throughout my week, but I fly through books.

That wasn't the case for this one. It took me an entire week just to reach chapter five. The book itself has the essence. I don't know why, but while I was reading this book it felt like a story that I have read. But it wasn't a good feeling. I knew exactly what book it was. It was twilight. Luce has this obsession with Daniel and it's just like Bella's obsession with a sparkly vampire named Edward. As soon as I had that thought in my mind, I really started to dread this book. Iv'e heard so many things about it. Good things. I don't know why I can't bring myself to even try to reconsider it. I know I was always told to not judge a book by its cover, but I am judging. Should a book this gorgeous be that bad? I'm not sure. It drove me insane. The cover actually reminds me of the "tumblr face plant". I've seen it everywhere on tumblr and Instgram. Was this where all those girls got it from? Who knows.

You can try reading this book. I wouldn't recommend it. It was a real let down. Some people will love it, some people will absolutely hate it. ( )
  gracezhuang | Apr 14, 2014 |
Poorly written love triangle with boring main character. And you don't learn anything by the end. Not worth the 450 pages it takes to get there... ( )
  KatieCarella | Apr 12, 2014 |
Luce, a girl who accidentally killed her boyfriend in rather like a scene from Supernatural and she was sent into juvie school with the "red"s, black attire and graveyard detentions. She befriended with a lot of people but she end up staring at Daniel and harassed by Cam. And everyone seems shocked that Luce can kiss Daniel and they were together briefly until Luce found out that some dark shades is haunting her, she dreams of her past lifes and her fate of dying all over again and someone was trying to kill her, really badly. Apparently her fate sealed the fates of the mankind by having the probability of starting a apocalyptic war on earth by warring sects of fallen angels (intro music : Carry on Wayward Son).

This book was a whole lot of nothing. Nothing happens. Absolutely nothing. Luce mopes. Daniel spurns her but then gives her some hope that someday in the future he won't. She mopes some more. Weird stuff happens. And then she mopes about the weird stuff. Nothing.at.all.happens.

But because the ending had a big dramatic effect that kept myu attention.. it gets 3 1/2 stars ( )
  sareiner | Apr 9, 2014 |
Many elements are not resolved, such as the cause of the fire and why angels are at this school. Still, fans of supernatural romance will be lining up for this book despite its flaws, and begging for a sequel.

Lauren Kateprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Eyre, JustineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
But paradise is locked and bolted.... We must make a journey around the world to see if a back door has perhaps been left open. -- Heinrich von Kleist, "On the Puppet Theater"
For my family, with gratitude and love
Around midnight, her eyes at last took shape.
Some things are more important than love. You won’t understand, but you have to trust me.

There's something achingly familiar about Daniel Grigori.

Mysterious and aloof, he captures Luce Price's attention from the moment she sees him on her first day at the Sword & Cross boarding school in sultry Savannah, Georgia. He's the one bright spot in a place where cell phones are forbidden, the other students are all screw-ups, and security cameras watch every move.

Even though Daniel wants nothing to do with Luce--and goes out of his way to make that very clear--she can't let it go. Drawn to him like a moth to a flame, she has to find out what Daniel is so desperate to keep secret . . . even if it kills her.

Dangerously exciting and darkly romantic, Fallen is a page turning thriller and the ultimate love story.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:35 -0400)

Suspected in the death of her boyfriend, seventeen-year-old Luce is sent to a Savannah, Georgia, reform school where she meets two intriguing boys and learns the truth about the strange shadows that have always haunted her.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,626,834 books! | Top bar: Always visible