American Rebel: The Life of Clint Eastwood…

American Rebel: The Life of Clint Eastwood

by Marc Eliot

American Rebel : The Life of Clint Eastwood is a thoroughly researched biography of the film legend, and methodically covers the actor/director’s childhood until present day. Marc Eliot utilizes extensive interviews and memiors from other actors, directors and family to draw a detailed portrait of the man and movie legend. From his television days on Rawhide in the early 1960’s to his extremely popular “spaghetti western” feature films, Eastwood has climbed the ladder of success with hardwork and business savvy to become an Academy Award winning director and producer. Despite his tumulotous personal life and stoic demeanor for being an “actor’s director,” the reader will truly know the motivation and character behind this private man after reading Eliot’s well-resourced text. ( )
  KHusser | Oct 20, 2010 |
As a big Eastwood fan I was looking forward to reading this book.

The book is divided into three parts:
Part 1 - From Aimless to Actor – which follows Eastwood from birth until 1979
Part 2 – From Actor to Auteur - which takes place from 1979 to 1990
Part 3 – From Auteur to Oscar – which takes place from 1990 to 2009

The Good:
This book was a fascinating read and reminded me of Mr. Eastwood’s body of work in-front and behind the camera. I knew that Eastwood is a cinematic genius and the book cemented that opinion. The book emphasizes the struggle which Clint Eastwood fights everyday during his life to maintain his independence and individuality from the Hollywood studios as well as society in general.

The Bad:
There is nothing new in this uninspiring book. Nothing which is not available on public record. Reading “American Rebel” was like reading a 330 page magazine article. There are no, or very little, anecdotes which make a biography worth reading and gain new insight into the Eastwood persona. The author doesn’t make any new revelations, gives us any new insights and some of his commentary (the ones not quoted from other magazines) I found misguided.

The Ugly:
I don’t really care how Eastwood acts in his personal life and the Entertainment Tonight (TMZ for you younger folks) style of “news” doesn’t appeal to me, yet the author seems to thrive on this sort of gossip, sordid rumors and “he said – she said” court room dramas.
I know this type of information is part of any biography but does the reader really wants to spend reading pages of soap opera type public-record nuances which doesn’t give us any insight into the subject’s personality?

If you are an Eastwood fan you’d enjoy this book – if nothing else to remind you of the vast body of work he has done over the years.
Clint Eastowood’s rags to riches lifelong adventure is an amazing American success story and he deserves a better book – maybe in his own words (I hope). ( )
  ZoharLaor | Mar 12, 2010 |

As an actor, he seduces us with his tough-guy charm. As a director and producer, he amazes us with his artistry and technical savvy. As a Hollywood icon, Clint Eastwood, one of film's greatest living legends, represents some of the finest cinematic achievements in the history of American cinema.

In American Rebel, bestselling author and acclaimed film historian Marc Eliot examines the ever-exciting, often-tumultuous arc of Clint Eastwood's life and career. Unlike past biographers, Eliot writes with unflinching candor about Eastwood's highs and lows, his artistic successes and failures, and the fascinating, complex relationship between his life and his craft. Eliot's prodigious research reveals how a college dropout and unambitious playboy rose to fame as Hollywood' s "sexy rebel," eventually and against all odds becoming a star in the Academy pantheon as a multiple Oscar winner. Spanning decades, American Rebel covers the best of Eastwood' s oeuvre, films that have fast become American classics–Fistful of Dollars, Dirty Harry, Unforgiven, Mystic River, Million Dollar Baby, and Gran Torino.

Filled with remarkable insights into Eastwood's personal life and public work, American Rebel is highly entertaining and the most complete biography of one of Hollywood's truly respected and beloved stars–an actor who, despite being the Man with No Name, has left his indelible mark on the world of motion pictures.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:05 -0400)

A well-researched, updated, and comprehensive biography of the motion picture actor and Oscar-winning director of Unforgiven and Million Dollar Baby.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,306,101 books! | Top bar: Always visible