Gone to Green by Judy Christie

This book had a little of everything.

Ed finds a newspaper in Louisiana to buy and run in his retirement. But before the deal goes through, Ed dies. In his will, he leaves the paper to his colleague, Lois, but she has to keep it for a year before she can do anything else with it.

Over the course of that year, Lois revises her opinion of the town several times. She makes a number of friends, exposes corruption and deceit, and organizes a number of events to help the town. Still, for whatever reason, she's convinced she's going to sell the paper and go back to working in the newsroom of a bigger paper in a more happening locale.

Man, I wish I had a nice friend who'd give me a successful business that I loved doing. (Though I guess he didn't really give it to her since she did have a note at a bank.) And that the business I got had employees like Lois got (with an exception or two). ( )
  JenniferRobb | Apr 11, 2019 |
The paper was an unexpected inheritance from a close colleague, and Lois must keep it for at least a year, bringing a host of challenges, lessons, and blessings into her life.

When Lois pulls into Green on New Year’s Day, she expects a charming little town full of smiling people.She quickly realizes her mistake. After settling into a loaned house out on Route 2,
she finds herself battling town prejudices and inner doubts and making friends with
the most surprising people: troubled teenager Katy, good-looking catfish farmer
Chris, wise and feisty Aunt Helen, and a female African-American physician named
Kevin.

Whether fighting a greedy, deceitful politician or rescuing a dog she fears, Lois notices the headlines in her life have definitely improved. She learns how to provide small-town news in a big-hearted way and realizes that life is full of newsworthy moments. When she encounters racial
prejudice and financial corruption, Lois also discovers more about the goodness of
real people and the importance of being part of a community.

While secretly preparing the paper for a sale, Lois begins to realize that God might indeed have a plan for her life and that perhaps the allure of city life and career ambition are not what she wants after all. ( )
  suzybee30 | Jun 30, 2018 |
Not quite 4 stars, but I liked Gone to Green enough that I'll be reading the next book in the series. Likeable characters, and I enjoyed the main character's growth--her journey back to her faith. I'm looking forward more to the next book in this author's Trumpet and Vine series, but for now the Green series seems to be a pleasant diversion. ( )
  ReinaMWilliams | Mar 31, 2017 |
Gone to Green is a novel about Lois who inherits a newspaper in a small town called Green. Lois has been so busy with her current position and is now poised for a promotion that she's not sure about this change in her life but she decides to give it a year for her friend. Thus begins a journey to find out about herself, about what she's capable of; her faith and how to fill what has been missing in her life because of her devotion to the previous job. Along the way she finds out about Southern hospitality about Go's' s calling for each of us and what it really means to be a part is a small town. Good book and am looking forward to reading more of the series. ( )
  mmoj | Mar 2, 2017 |
Starred Review. Lois Barker, a successful big-city journalist, never imagined ending up in the tiny town of Green, La. She never guessed that within months she would unexpectedly inherit a smalltown newspaper.
Loved the story. I read it in one day. It's a fun quick read. ( )
  ChildofGod | Dec 11, 2015 |
To my husband, Paul, with love and gratitude
Post Media Company announced yesterday that its multimedia division will offer news-paper readers information around the clock, relying on the latest technology and innovation.

Lori Barker trades in her life as a corporate journalist for ownership of a tiny rural newspaper, but when she arrives at the village, she finds herself battling prejudice and inner doubt while making friends with the quirky villagers.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,318,570 books! | Top bar: Always visible