Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters by…

Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters (edition 2009)

by Jane Austen, Ben H. Winters (Primary Contributor)

Member:klpm
Title:Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters
Authors:Jane Austen
Other authors:Ben H. Winters (Primary Contributor)
Info:Quirk Books (2009), Edition: Original, Paperback, 344 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fiction, fantasy, romance

Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters by Ben H. Winters

English (62)  Spanish (1)  All languages (63)
A funny and quirky take on the timeless classic Sense and Sensibility. Although some elements in the plot are plain silly, the read is still amusing. I recommend it to those who love Lovecraftian horror. ( )
  DoctorFate | Jul 29, 2015 |
With much effort, made it about halfway through... just couldn't see the point of wasting my time anymore listening to this story. If I could give it zero stars, I would. I am very open to reading fan fiction of Jane Austen's P&P, but couldn't handle potential abuse of such a good story, so, in an effort of dabbling in shallow waters, I tried this S&S version. YUCK! ( )
  olongbourn | Mar 1, 2015 |
So...looking around at other reviews on this book I seem to be one of the few who feel the same way I do about this book, or maybe one of the few who hold this opinion but actually read the book. Before I read this book all I could think about was how this man is destroying a classic, totally defacing it. Now, after having given the author a fair chance, I feel he is totally defacing a classic but...in a creative way. This is the first time I have ever seen a book like this and well, by the pop up of these books over the last year, it won't be the last. I finished this book and Winters goes into some very creative meanderings with the original characters and language as Jane Austen favored but I still just felt wrong reading it.

*This book was provided to me by Quirk Classics to review* ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |
Eh, I like the originals too much I guess to get into this. It was just silly to me. I only made it to page 64 and decided I had better things to do. It took 2 weeks to get that far. ( )
  CharityBradford | Apr 1, 2014 |
  CharityBradford | Apr 1, 2014 |
There’s no denying the page-turning satisfaction of this welcome sequel, which exceeds Pride And Prejudice And Zombies in cleverness and wit while continuing to pay proper homage to the deep emotions underlying the original text.

It’s hard to say, in the end, if this is an homage, an exploitation, a deconstruction, or just a 300-page parlor trick. Although the sea-monster subplots, considered independently, rarely rise above pulp clichés, the book’s best moments do achieve a kind of bizarro symbiosis. The monsters make Austen’s abstract threats ridiculously concrete, and Austen, in turn, dignifies the monsters: They serve as gargoyles emphasizing the immaculate balance of her original story’s structure.
added by Shortride | editNew York, Sam Anderson (Sep 6, 2009)

Winters, Ben H.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Austen, Janemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Horner, DoogieDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Leetaru, LarsCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Smith, EugeneIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to my parents -- lovers of great literature and great silliness.
The family of Dashwood had been settled in Sussex since before the Alteration, when the waters of the world grew cold and hateful to the sons of man, and darkness moved on the face of the deep.
This is a modern work by Ben H. Winters, based on the original Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen.

The Dashwood sisters are evicted from their childhood home and sent to live on a mysterious island full of savage creatures and dark secrets. While sensible Elinor falls in love with Edward Ferrars, her romantic sister Marianne is courted by both the handsome Willoughby and the hideous man-monster Colonel Brandon. Can the Dashwood sisters triumph over meddlesome matriarchs and unscrupulous rogues to find true love? Or will they fall prey to the tentacles that are forever snapping at their heels?… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,421,246 books! | Top bar: Always visible