Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters…

Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters (Quirk Classic Series) (edition 2009)

by Jane Austen and Ben Winters, Katherine Kellgren (Reader)

Member:Allizabeth
Title:Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters (Quirk Classic Series)
Authors:Jane Austen and Ben Winters
Other authors:Katherine Kellgren (Reader)
Info:Brilliance Audio on CD Unabridged (2009), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD
Rating:***

Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters by Ben H. Winters

English (68)  Spanish (1)  All languages (69)
I listened to this book on Audio CD. From the description I thought this version would be more exciting but it was not. It was too dry and slow for me. ( )
  lacey.tucker | Mar 10, 2016 |
Again, the monsters just did not fit. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
I don't really remember the book Sense and Sensibility very well which may affect my feelings about this book. My two biggest problems with the book were the concept of "the Awakening"; sea monsters are not something that should suddenly appear, they should be there all along. In this respect it seems as though the author was trying to mimic Pride and Prejudice and Zombies and it just wasn't successful. My second huge problem was the whole Margaret/living island story. It was such a huge thing that was going on and yet such a minor part of the story, it was kind of distracting and I wish the author hadn't bothered with it.

I also felt there wasn't enough focus on Elinore and the star she kept seeing. In the same vein, Edward's sudden escape from the sea witch could have done with a little more explaining. I realize that Lucy Steele's marriage to Robert Ferrars is probably from the original book, but there is no explanation whatsoever of the sudden change.

My next complaint is more of a personal gripe. I wanted Elinore to end up with Col. Brandon. I know that's not how the story goes, but a lot of the book seems to focus on the friendship that develops between the two of them. Edward Ferrars is not nearly as involved in the story and so I never really developed any sympathy or empathy for him.

I really wanted to like this book and actually there were some pretty funny and interesting parts that I thoroughly enjoyed; Elinore's bout with the pirates, the destruction of Substation Beta and the fish's working together to do it were parts I really enjoyed. The books biggest problem is that it tried to do too much, so I think if the reader just focuses on the parts they enjoy, they will be happy. ( )
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |

Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |
There’s no denying the page-turning satisfaction of this welcome sequel, which exceeds Pride And Prejudice And Zombies in cleverness and wit while continuing to pay proper homage to the deep emotions underlying the original text.

It’s hard to say, in the end, if this is an homage, an exploitation, a deconstruction, or just a 300-page parlor trick. Although the sea-monster subplots, considered independently, rarely rise above pulp clichés, the book’s best moments do achieve a kind of bizarro symbiosis. The monsters make Austen’s abstract threats ridiculously concrete, and Austen, in turn, dignifies the monsters: They serve as gargoyles emphasizing the immaculate balance of her original story’s structure.
added by Shortride | editNew York, Sam Anderson (Sep 6, 2009)

Winters, Ben H.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Horner, DoogieDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Leetaru, LarsCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Smith, EugeneIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to my parents—lovers of great literature and great silliness.
The family of Dashwood had been settled in Sussex since before the Alteration, when the waters of the world grew cold and hateful to the sons of man, and darkness moved on the face of the deep.
This is a modern work by Ben H. Winters, based on the original Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen.

The Dashwood sisters are evicted from their childhood home and sent to live on a mysterious island full of savage creatures and dark secrets. While sensible Elinor falls in love with Edward Ferrars, her romantic sister Marianne is courted by both the handsome Willoughby and the hideous man-monster Colonel Brandon. Can the Dashwood sisters triumph over meddlesome matriarchs and unscrupulous rogues to find true love? Or will they fall prey to the tentacles that are forever snapping at their heels?… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,238,616 books! | Top bar: Always visible