The Client by John Grisham

The Client (1993)

by John Grisham

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult (ShannonMDE)
    ShannonMDE: I think My Sister's Keeper had the feel of early John Grisham back when he wrote about people instead of corporations.
    A Painted House by John Grisham (shesinplainview)

English (42)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (45)
A much better read than The Firm was. I liked it and the ending was better too. ( )
  AliceAnna | Oct 18, 2014 |
I had a good time with this book, even after I had seen the movie first. This is a very rare occasion, that I enjoyed reading a whodunnit even after I had seen the movie. Which I'd still watch. The book has wonderful economy in characterization. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Aug 8, 2014 |
Read 04-27-2014
  trexm5qp7 | Apr 28, 2014 |
This was a great read - a page-turner that kept me very interested. One of John Grisham's better novels. ( )
  adeej | Apr 25, 2014 |
  wareagle78 | Jan 22, 2014 |
For Ty and Shea
Mark was eleven and had been smoking off and on for two years, never trying to quit but being careful not to get hooked.
ISBN 0582417775 is for the Penguin Readers, Level 4 edition.

In a weedy lot on the outskirts of Memphis, two boys watch a shiny Lincoln pull up to the curb...

Eleven-year-old Mark Sway and his younger brother were sharing a forbidden cigarette when a chance encounter with a suicidal lawyer left Mark knowing a bloody and explosive secret: the whereabouts of the most sought-after dead body in America. Now Mark is caught between a legal system gone mad and a mob killer desperate to cover up his crime. And his only ally is a woman named Reggie Love, who has been a lawyer for all of four years. Prosecutors are willing to break all the rules to make Mark talk. The mob will stop at nothing to keep him quiet. And Reggie will do anything to protect her client -- even take a last, desperate gamble that could win Mark his freedom... or cost them both their lives.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385339089, Paperback)

With her sparkling voice and superb acting ability, Blair Brown gives an impressive reading of this John Grisham blockbuster. The story hinges on a young boy who gets an unwanted earful of murder, politics--and dangerous secrets about both--from a conscience-stricken mob lawyer bent on suicide. "I can tell you where the body is... the most notorious undiscovered corpse of our time." Just the kind of information most children don't need, especially when the snakeskin-wearing hit man finds out what he knows. Aside from musical cues scattered as superfluously as laugh tracks on a sitcom, the production quality is stellar, preserving the crispness of Blair's voice and the nuances of her excellent interpretation. (Running time: 6 hours, 4 cassettes) --George Laney

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:05:43 -0400)

"Eleven-year-old Mark Sway and his younger brother were sharing a forbidden cigarette when a chance encounter with a suicidal lawyer left Mark knowing a bloody and explosive secret: the whereabouts of the most-sought-after dead body in America ... Prosecutors are willing to break all the rules to make Mark talk. The mob will stop at nothing to keep him quiet. And [his lawyer] will do anything to protect her client--even take a last, desperate gamble that could win Mark his freedom, or cost them both their lives"--From publisher description.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,917,945 books! | Top bar: Always visible