The Summons by John Grisham

The Summons (original 2002; edition 2002)

by John Grisham (Author)

Once Judge Atlee was a powerful figure in Clanton, Mississippi--a pillar of the community who towered over local law and politics for forty years. Now the judge is a shadow of his former self, a sick, lonely old man who has withdrawn to his sprawling ancestral home. Knowing the end is near, Judge Atlee has issued a summons for his two sons to return to Clanton to discuss his estate. Ray Atlee is the eldest, a Virginia law professor, newly single and still enduring the aftershocks of a surprise divorce. Forrest is Ray's younger brother, who redefines the notion of a family's black sheep. The summons is typed by the judge himself, on his handsome old stationery, and gives the date and time for Ray and Forrest to appear in his study. Ray reluctantly heads south to his hometown, to the place where he grew up and now prefers to avoid. But the family meeting does not take place. The judge dies too soon, and in doing so leaves behind a shocking secret known only to Ray.… (more)
Member:ranujrdz
Title:The Summons
Authors:John Grisham (Author)
Info:Dell (2002), 384 pages

The Summons by John Grisham (2002)

Recently added byprivate library, yarnmom2one, Arjen1, ilsevr1977, punisher123, LouiePascale, Gaveboeken
    The Chamber by John Grisham (jpjr)
    jpjr: IF you like legal thrillers than anything by John Grisham is right up your alley and can't be put down.
    Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter by Tom Franklin (aliklein)

English (55)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (3)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (65)
I didn't think I'd ever pick up a John Grisham legal mystery that I didn't just love but it happened with this one. I also thought that a story could not be both implausible and predictable but this one sure is. A big disappointment. ( )
  susandennis | Jun 5, 2020 |
Yea, okay. Kept me intetested but poor ending. So barely three star. ( )
  DannyKeep | Apr 30, 2020 |
I can't believe I never read this! Really enjoyed the story and the characters... and I had already read the sequel, The King of Torts. ARGH lol. (I have no real memory of the storyline in that book)

Now I read that the sequel doesn't REALLY finish the story of the Atlee brothers and THAT'S what I want to know! Please, Mr. Grisham... finish the story! ( )
  nwieme | Mar 19, 2020 |
Great read and unexpected twists. I really enjoyed it . ( )
  MustangGuy | Oct 28, 2019 |
Read in Slovene under the title Poziv.

A law professor returning to his hick town on a summons by his father finds the latter dead and a stash of cash in the closet. Who, how, why etc.

Meh. ( )
  matija2019 | Jan 8, 2019 |

John Grishamprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sappinen, Jorma-VeikkoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It came by mail, regular postage, the old-fashioned way since the Judge was almost eighty and distrusted modern devices.

Brothers Ray Atlee and Forrest, hear from their father, a reclusive, retired judge, telling them he wants to discuss his estate, but the judge dies before they arrive, leaving behind a secret.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,532,297 books! | Top bar: Always visible