The King of Torts by John Grisham

The King of Torts (original 2003; edition 2003)

by John Grisham

6,42063896 (3.33)33
Member:conceptDawg
Title:The King of Torts
Authors:John Grisham
Info:Dell (2003), Edition: Dell Domes, Paperback
Rating:***
Tags:law, fiction

The King of Torts by John Grisham (2003)

English (59)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (62)
Good read, but I got to wondering how the lead character could possibly be so obtuse and naive. By the time you are half way through the book, the remainder of the story is obvious. No unexpected twists here. ( )
  rondoctor | Aug 7, 2018 |
Another Grisham book ticked off my list. I don't remember having read this one before. The author has blended his usual mix of courtroom drama, rich lawyers and powerful companies in this novel. It will have you hooked until the last page.

I actually preferred this novel to The Street Lawyer which I also read recently. I didn't like the way that Grisham had focused on charity/benevolent work amongst the homeless almost as a selfish pursuit for the young lawyer to find himself. This novel, however, was different--it is totally secular with no real mention of faith/God or anything similar. Sometimes it is better not to try and mix the spiritual with the secular unless you are going to be accurate and ensure you represent the right principles.

This novel tells the story of Clay, a young lawyer struggling to make a name for himself at a little known firm. He is approached apparently randomly by a man who promises riches and fame if he follows his instructions to the letter. The requirements seem at first to be ethical and Clay is drawn into the web. He becomes a millionaire and the King of Torts leading mass civil litigation where-ever it exists. But it all seems a little too good to be true.......

The biblical principles in this novel are obvious. The love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. The rich man went away sad when Jesus suggested he should give up his wealth. Another man stored up wealth in barns but was called a fool when God took his life and he wasn't prepared to meet his Maker. We are told not to love the world or anything in the world. There are numerous warnings about those who choose money over God. Even from a less religious perspective we know that absolute power corrupts absolutely....

Most people are chasing money in some form or another. The point that this novel makes is that even when one gains more of it than they know what to do with. They will not be happy. It brings out the consequences in terms of friendships, relationships, health and just generally the emptiness of a life focused on temporary things that will be worthless in eternity.

This is a good book for those who believe that if they get that promotion, that new house, that new car or whatever it might be, it will satisfy. It won't.

There is some bad language and violence but nothing graphic. There are sexual inferences and some lude remarks but again not graphic.

What shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world yet loses his own soul.

sparkleandchico | Jun 2, 2017 |
Meh. I was disappointed with this one. I wasn't expecting great literature, but past experience had led me to believe I'd at least get an interesting story with some likable characters. It's the tale of Clay Carter, a public defender who gets an unusual opportunity to file a class action claim against a big company. (I guess that falls under the category of tort law. Hence the title.) Clay is a likable fellow, but makes some bad choices. Very obvious bad choices. But, hey, you have to have some conflict, right? I figured we'd end up with a little redemption, a little turn around. Well, it was little all right. I really should have just reread The Last Juror or The Testament.
--J. ( )
  Hamburgerclan | Apr 29, 2017 |
Not a mystery nor a thriller... rather a "rise and fall" story of a young lawyer who enters the field of mass tort law. At least it wasn't as annoying to me as his A Time to Kill (I know lots of people love this one but I found it repugnant)! Too bad that this confirmed my decision to stop reading Grisham because I really like his earlier books... ( )
  leslie.98 | Mar 24, 2017 |
This book marked the end of my personal Grisham era. It starts out okay, and about 3/8 of the end it gets aggressively lazy. We'll still always have Runaway Jury, though (my personal JG favorite). ( )
  evamat72 | Mar 31, 2016 |
The shots that fired the bullets that entered Pumpkin's head were heard by no less than eight people.

The office of the public defender is not known as a training ground for bright young litigators. Clay Carter has been there too long and, like most of his colleagues, dreams of a better job in a real firm. When he reluctantly takes the case of a young man charged with a random street killing, he assumes it is just another of the many senseless murders that hit D.C. every week.

As he digs into the background of his client, Clay stumbles on a conspiracy too horrible to believe. He suddenly finds himself in the middle of a complex case against one of the largest pharmaceutical companies in the world, looking at the kind of enormous settlement that would totally change his life—that would make him, almost overnight, the legal profession’s newest king of torts...

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:50 -0400)

Clay Carter, a public defender, reluctantly takes the case of a young man charged with a random street killing, assuming it is just another of the many senseless murders that hit D.C. every week. As he digs into the background of his client, Clay stumbles on a conspiracy too horrible to believe. He suddenly finds himself in the middle of a complex case against one of the largest pharmaceutical companies in the world, looking at the kind of enormous settlement that would totally change his life--that would make him almost overnight, the legal profession's newest king of torts.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,930,465 books! | Top bar: Always visible