Skipping Christmas by John Grisham

Skipping Christmas (2001)

by John Grisham

English (103)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (107)
I've wanted to read this during the Christmas Holiday for many years now and I'm so glad I had the time to do so this year. I laughed so hard in several places that my side still hurts! Being a recent "empty nester," I can understand where the Kranks are coming from with their daughter being away for her first Christmas. I thought their idea of changing things up for once by putting all that money towards a Caribbean Cruise was a neat idea! They just didn't plan on their neighborhood, or everyone else from the postman to the local fireman, throwing a wrench into their plans! The neighbors were particularly funny and some of the visuals Mr Grisham paints for the reader were hilarious to me.

I know I'm probably in the minority here, but I just can't take a humorous Christmas story too seriously. I expected Mr. Krank to be cranky. Given all he was up against it was understandable. I actually appreciated the fact that there was tension in the story that provided the opportunity for some comic relief. Different strokes...

This was a fun read that I'll re-visit during Christmas Seasons to come! ( )
  Becky_McKenna | Mar 10, 2016 |
Mildly entertaining story of a couple who decide NOT to go the traditional route but skip Christmas this year. Think they can pull it off? Think again.

Our book club wanted a "light" read for the Holidays, and we certainly got that. Pure mind candy. I think the author gave in to the pleas of his agent/editor to come out with something "for the holiday season." He should have skipped it. ( )
  BookConcierge | Feb 12, 2016 |
Need to read
  csc10627 | Feb 5, 2016 |
An American couple, whose daughter has just left home, decide to skip Christmas entirely for one year. Enjoyable light ironic humour, in a style somewhat reminiscent of Anne Tyler. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
Heartwarming

Lovely festive read and a little better than the film. One to escape and relax with over the festive period. ( )
  JonBurton | Jan 26, 2016 |
The gate was packed with weary travelers, most of them standing and huddled along the walls because the meager allotment of plastic chairs had long since been taken.

Imagine a year without Christmas. No crowded malls, no corny office parties, no fruitcakes, no unwanted presents. That’s just what Luther and Nora Krank have in mind when they decide that, just this once, they’ll skip the holiday altogether. Theirs will be the only house on Hemlock Street without a rooftop Frosty, they won’t be hosting their annual Christmas Eve bash, they aren’t even going to have a tree. They won’t need one, because come December 25 they’re setting sail on a Caribbean cruise. But as this weary couple is about to discover, skipping Christmas brings enormous consequences—and isn’t half as easy as they’d imagined.

A classic tale for modern times from a beloved storyteller, John Grisham’s Skipping Christmas offers a hilarious look at the chaos and frenzy that have become part of our holiday tradition.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440242576, Mass Market Paperback)

Skipping Christmas: Christmas With The Kranks

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:57 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,891,334 books! | Top bar: Always visible