Skipping Christmas by John Grisham

Skipping Christmas (2001)

by John Grisham

English (95)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (99)
Silly book! ( )
  olongbourn | Mar 1, 2015 |
Skipping Christmas was my church book club’s December selection. It was also a book that we shared with the ladies at the transitional center where I volunteer. We met last Thursday for food, fellowship, and a time of discussing what really matters at Christmas. Grisham’s book is a light-hearted look at a couple who decide to skip the holiday chaos for a 10 day Caribbean cruise. While their neighbors, co-workers and friends are in the middle of the holiday craziness, they congratulate themselves on avoiding all the nonsense. That is, until their daughter informs them that she will be home for Christmas. Then they embark on a decorating, shopping and party-making frenzy.

While most of us enjoyed the funny portrayal of Luther’s attempt to skip Christmas, we were disappointed that Grisham did not use the book to focus a little more on the true meaning of Christmas. And though we realized that the targeted audience was secular, it would have been nice to have a bit more mention of Jesus’ birth. We also were disappointed that Luther failed to give to charities, something he and his wife agreed would not be missing from the year’s skipped celebration. But the book did spark a lot of discussion — what needs to be skipped, what just can’t be left out and our families’ traditions – past and present. Many of the ladies at the center won’t be with family this year. It was great to have a time to talk about what Christmas is really all about.

So while Skipping Christmas is fluffy, it did lead to deep discussions. So I would recommend this book for book clubs looking for a quick read for their December discussions.

Recommended.

Audience: adults. ( )
  vintagebeckie | Dec 19, 2014 |
Written in 2001, a comedy, the plot is a little dated and really more for the 1970s or 80s. It is about a middle aged couple , Luther and Nora, whose only child, a daughter ,has decided to leave home and work with the poor in Peru. The husband, an affluent accountant who typically spends $6000.00 on Christmas/parties/gifts for everyone/ charities/ etc. decide to "Skip Christmas". They decide to spend only $3000.00 on a cruse and not give in to the neighborhood pressure to decorate, have a Christmas party for the block and buy gifts. (I don't know ANYONE who typically spends $6000.00 on Christmas especially with only one child and no grandchildren!) Anyway, people skip Christmas all the time now and the commercial concept would be celebrated, not scorned, as Luther's neighbors exhibited. I could imagine Chevy Chase starring in this as a movie if you get my drift. I enjoyed listening to it anyway. ( )
  gaillamontagne | Dec 6, 2014 |
Some of the reviewers, I'm afraid, take themselves and some books entirely too seriously. Get over yourself people. It's called "Skipping Christmas".....................................the inside jacket tells you what to expect.

I enjoyed this book. I laughed at times, I could so relate at other times. A quick read and a little fun in a world where people take themselves wayyyyyyyy too seriously. ( )
  dddale | Nov 22, 2014 |
Kinda cute. Maudlin ending. Not really my thing. ( )
  AliceAnna | Aug 31, 2014 |
The gate was packed with weary travelers, most of them standing and huddled along the walls because the meager allotment of plastic chairs had long since been taken.

Imagine a year without Christmas. No crowded malls, no corny office parties, no fruitcakes, no unwanted presents. That’s just what Luther and Nora Krank have in mind when they decide that, just this once, they’ll skip the holiday altogether. Theirs will be the only house on Hemlock Street without a rooftop Frosty, they won’t be hosting their annual Christmas Eve bash, they aren’t even going to have a tree. They won’t need one, because come December 25 they’re setting sail on a Caribbean cruise. But as this weary couple is about to discover, skipping Christmas brings enormous consequences—and isn’t half as easy as they’d imagined.

A classic tale for modern times from a beloved storyteller, John Grisham’s Skipping Christmas offers a hilarious look at the chaos and frenzy that have become part of our holiday tradition.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440242576, Mass Market Paperback)

Skipping Christmas: Christmas With The Kranks

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:57 -0400)

Luther and Nora Frank decide to skip Christmas this year and go on a cruise when suddenly everything gets chaotic.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,433,928 books! | Top bar: Always visible