The Testament by John Grisham

The Testament (1999)

by John Grisham

English (60)  Dutch (3)  Spanish (1)  All languages (64)
Review: The Testament by John Grisham. I enjoyed the book. It’s not one of his best because it did drag along in some places but I still read it in a day and half. It was about an elderly man about to die who was worth eleven billon dollars. The testament intended to be his last, he signed in front of witnesses. There was another one signed blindly minutes later in front of the same witnesses, and his family that had been watching by video. They were to busy calculating what they thought they were getting. Then Tony Phelan the billionaire stood up from his wheelchair and walked onto the balcony…..

Let the lawyer’s begin…. Before they knew what the last testament contained they were going with the contents of the will he read and signed in front of the witnesses and family members. They all over-looked the paper he signed moments later. Uncaring what happened to Troy Phelan the family’s were stampeding to the lawyer’s and spending some high amounts of money even before the change of the signed testament was announced and read. So, the story goes on with lawyers and family members fighting to get their share and percentages no matter who got hurt or stabbed in the back….

Meanwhile, the story moves on to a more informal story of Mr. Phelan’s illegitimate daughter no one knew of up to the reading of the last will. She had become a missionary in the jungles of Brazil. I’ll admit that I kept turning the pages faster because this part of the story was where a lot of emotions curled up within me to find the happy ending for Rachel, the illicit daughter and Nate, the person who was sent to find Rachel in the wild infectious swamp and jungles of Brazil. I thought there might be the slight chance that Nate and Rachel would end up together as missionaries and get married.….

Then you have the background about Nate. He was my favorite character. What a rough life he had led and yes, it was because of his choices but it was still sad all that had happened. When he reconnected with his kids, I just felt so bad for him, to want to build those relationships but to see that too much damage has been done with the older kids would be hard. I loved the how Grisham really let me get inside Nate’s head and see the struggles and thoughts that he had.

Of course, the Phelan children were spoilt brats but I did feel for them slightly. Their dad had all the money in the world and all the women at his disposal so he had absolutely no need or desire for his families. I can’t imagine what that would be like, having money instead of a dad. No wonder they turned out the way that they did.

It was obvious that Rachel would have no interest in the money but she found her peace in the jungles of Brazil. I’m glad Nate got his act together and he turned his life around. Meanwhile, the spoiled brats got what they deserved, “each other“…... As far as all the lawyer’s go, I’m glad they got what they had coming to them, “empty pockets”……

Juan-banjo | May 31, 2016 |
READ IN DUTCH

This is my first - and so far last - John Grisham novel. I didn't like it, although the blurb sounded quite interesting.

A very rich eccentric finds a way to troll his greedy grandchildren, by cutting them out of his will and committing suicide right after he's made the change. The grieving grandchildren employ lawyers of course, and another lawyer is sent in to the middle of nowhere in the Brazilian jungle to break the news to a woman, who now is very rich.

What follows is a long story, that was incapable of holding my interest. The writing wasn't bad, but I didn't care for the characters and couldn't think of why they would go to such great lengths to tell her about it. I'd say that if you choose to life so far from anything, you don't really want to be found. At the end, I'm not curious to read any more novels by John Grisham, as this one disappointed me. ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
Easy reading... ( )
  Gerardlionel | Apr 2, 2016 |
Brisk read...typical JG style...felt it was bit stretched out in the middle but was good read. ( )
  _RSK | Jan 26, 2016 |
Grisham breaks formula, but it works. A bit too much on AA though. ( )
  TheGoldyns | Sep 16, 2015 |

John Grishamprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lundwall, Sam J.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Down to the last day, even the last hour now.
Information from the Slovak Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
Na tento deň som sa pripravoval dlho. Každý cent svojho bohatstva som nadobudol vďaka vlastnému úsiliu, rozumu a šťastiu. Môžem ho teda míňať, ako sa mi páči. Mohol by som ho aj darovať podľa svojich predstáv, ale v tom mi chcú zabrániť.
Prečo by som sa mal starať, kto dostane moje peniaze? Použil som ich na všetko, čo si len človek vie predstaviť. Keď sedím sám v invalidnom vozíku a čakám, nenapadá ma jediná vec, ktorú by som si ešte chcel kúpiť alebo vidieť.
Všetko mám za sebou a som veľmi unavený.
Nezáleží mi na tom, kto dostane peniaze. Ale nie je mi ani ľahostajné, kto ich nedostane.

German

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440234743, Mass Market Paperback)

Troy Phelan, a 78-year-old eccentric and the 10th-richest man in America, is about to read his last will and testament, divvying up an estate worth $11 billion. Phelan's three ex-wives, their grasping spawn, a legion of lawyers, several psychiatrists, and a plethora of sound technicians wait breathlessly, all eyes glued to digital monitors as they watch the old man read his verdict. But Phelan shocks everyone with a bizarre, last-gasp attempt to redistribute the spoils, setting in motion a legal morality tale of a contested will, sin, and redemption.

Our hero, Nate O'Riley--a washed-up, alcoholic litigator with two ruined marriages in his wake and the IRS on his tail--is dispatched to the Brazilian wetlands in search of a mysterious heir named in the will. After a harrowing trip upriver to a remote settlement in the Pantanal, he encounters Rachel Lane, a pure-hearted missionary living with an indigenous tribe and carrying out "God's work." Rachel's grave dedication and kindness impress the jaded lawyer, so much that a nasty bout of dengue fever leads him to a vision that could change his life.

Back in the States, the legal proceedings drag on and Grisham has a high time with Phelan's money-hungry descendents, a regrettable bunch who squandered millions, married strippers, got druggy, and befriended the Mob. The youngest son, Ramble, is a multi-pierced, tattoo-covered malcontent with big dreams for his rock band, the Demon Monkeys. Will Nate get straight with Rachel's aid? Do the greedy heirs get theirs? What's the real legacy of a lifetime's work? The Testament is classic Grisham: a down-and-out lawyer, a lot of money, an action-packed pursuit, and the highest issues at stake. It's not just about great characters; it's about the question of what character is. --Rebekah Warren

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:44 -0400)

A lawyer searches the Brazilian jungle for a missionary doctor working with Indians, the illegitimate daughter of an American tycoon who left her his fortune. But the tycoon's real children are determined to prevent the inheritance.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,003,965 books! | Top bar: Always visible