The Testament by John Grisham

The Testament (1999)

by John Grisham

English (50)  Dutch (3)  Spanish (1)  All languages (54)
I liked this at the start, but then it got too preachy for me. The protagonist's "conversion" wasn't the least bit believable. He prays once and is no longer an alcoholic. And I didn't like seeing him proceed to lie about things even if the family didn't deserve the money. Just really a weak, weak book. ( )
  AliceAnna | Aug 31, 2014 |
Great book! ( )
  srgin8 | Jun 28, 2014 |
Grisham is a great writer and delivers an interesting plot. However, the end is rushed and there are some legal holes you could drive a truck through. Plus one of the story lines just sort of dies. ( )
  macfiar | Apr 24, 2014 |
With this book, I did something rare.. I didn't finish it. I didn't like it al all. The idea of the story was good, and so was the beginning. But after about 100 pages, it started to bore me. :( ( )
  MarjoleinL | Mar 29, 2014 |
I quickly skimmed my way through this one, but even then was it worth it? No, not really. I've read The Firm and The Pelican Brief, but this didn't make it up to even those low bars. Apparently Grisham isn't going to work for me as a guilty pleasure. ( )
  thermopyle | Dec 13, 2013 |

John Grishamprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lundwall, Sam J.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Down to the last day, even the last hour now.
Information from the Slovak Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.
Na tento deň som sa pripravoval dlho. Každý cent svojho bohatstva som nadobudol vďaka vlastnému úsiliu, rozumu a šťastiu. Môžem ho teda míňať, ako sa mi páči. Mohol by som ho aj darovať podľa svojich predstáv, ale v tom mi chcú zabrániť.
Prečo by som sa mal starať, kto dostane moje peniaze? Použil som ich na všetko, čo si len človek vie predstaviť. Keď sedím sám v invalidnom vozíku a čakám, nenapadá ma jediná vec, ktorú by som si ešte chcel kúpiť alebo vidieť.
Všetko mám za sebou a som veľmi unavený.
Nezáleží mi na tom, kto dostane peniaze. Ale nie je mi ani ľahostajné, kto ich nedostane.

German

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440234743, Mass Market Paperback)

Troy Phelan, a 78-year-old eccentric and the 10th-richest man in America, is about to read his last will and testament, divvying up an estate worth $11 billion. Phelan's three ex-wives, their grasping spawn, a legion of lawyers, several psychiatrists, and a plethora of sound technicians wait breathlessly, all eyes glued to digital monitors as they watch the old man read his verdict. But Phelan shocks everyone with a bizarre, last-gasp attempt to redistribute the spoils, setting in motion a legal morality tale of a contested will, sin, and redemption.

Our hero, Nate O'Riley--a washed-up, alcoholic litigator with two ruined marriages in his wake and the IRS on his tail--is dispatched to the Brazilian wetlands in search of a mysterious heir named in the will. After a harrowing trip upriver to a remote settlement in the Pantanal, he encounters Rachel Lane, a pure-hearted missionary living with an indigenous tribe and carrying out "God's work." Rachel's grave dedication and kindness impress the jaded lawyer, so much that a nasty bout of dengue fever leads him to a vision that could change his life.

Back in the States, the legal proceedings drag on and Grisham has a high time with Phelan's money-hungry descendents, a regrettable bunch who squandered millions, married strippers, got druggy, and befriended the Mob. The youngest son, Ramble, is a multi-pierced, tattoo-covered malcontent with big dreams for his rock band, the Demon Monkeys. Will Nate get straight with Rachel's aid? Do the greedy heirs get theirs? What's the real legacy of a lifetime's work? The Testament is classic Grisham: a down-and-out lawyer, a lot of money, an action-packed pursuit, and the highest issues at stake. It's not just about great characters; it's about the question of what character is. --Rebekah Warren

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:10 -0400)

A lawyer searches the Brazilian jungle for a missionary doctor working with Indians, the illegitimate daughter of an American tycoon who left her his fortune. But the tycoon's real children are determined to prevent the inheritance.

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,736,981 books! | Top bar: Always visible