Das Testament. by John Grisham

Das Testament. (original 1999; edition 2003)

by John Grisham

Member:kakadoo202
Title:Das Testament.
Authors:John Grisham
Info:Heyne (2003), Paperback
Rating:***

The Testament by John Grisham (1999)

English (63)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  All (66)
I used to be an avid reader of the likes of Grisham, Patterson etc but found myself moving away from secular fiction after I became a Christian. I remembered that a few of Grisham's novels had moral or Christian principles--The Testament is one of these.

The story centers around the suicide of billionaire Troy Phelan. He has effectively lived a careless life of self indulgence treating those around him with contempt. He married three times and was believed to have had six grandchildren whose lives he also ruined by spoiling them with million dollar payouts at intervals. No longer able to bear the weight of living he chooses instead to plunge to his death triggering an inevitable fight over his will. But what if there was a mysterious illegitimate daughter serving as a missionary in a remote country.....?

Nate is a recovering alcoholic. He is also a lawyer and assigned to the Phelan case. His task, to track down the elusive Rachel whilst resisting the allure of the bottle that has wrecked his life to date.

I enjoyed this the second time round. The biblical principle that the love of money is a route of all kinds of evil is clearly shown through this story. The author also does a good job in highlighting how an alcoholic will always struggle with the temptation to drink.

The author claims to be a Christian and as already noted I have seen these themes in his books at times. He states in his bio that a close friend of his is a Baptist missionary. In this novel he nearly explains the way of salvation in a manner understandable to all readers. However, he also states elsewhere that he believes that faith is a private matter....how can it be private when we have been given the Great Commission by Jesus Himself and when people are perishing on a daily basis? This author has a great platform for evangelism should he choose to use it. He has spent millions of dollars on football stadiums which maybe shows where his priorities are....

There are a few swear words in the book but it is not strong language. There is no graphic violence or sexual content apart from a few innuendos. I recommend this book. ( )
  sparkleandchico | Jun 2, 2017 |
I had liked the other Grisham book, so I happily picked this up from the little free library.
It started off with a bang. A thoroughly unlikeable multibillionaire makes a new will that "screwed all his crazy children and made someone else rich." Then he jumps out the window to his death.
The someone else is an illegitimate daughter who has (to her good fortune) had virtually no contact with the billionaire, and who has gone off to be a missionary to some natives in the wilds of upland Brazil.

Then, for about 90 more pages I read about how his children are not only crazy, but just as unlikeable as their father. And their attorneys were no better. I really shouldn't have stuck it out so long. Eventually, I skipped to the middle of the book and learned that eventually the story shifts to the guy sent to look for the heiress. I checked a few more chapters, skipping until I found the one where Nate was dispatched to Brazil. I enjoyed the book a lot more from that point on.

CarolJMO | Dec 12, 2016 |
How have I never read Grisham? This book. Spiritually fulfilling, relaxing to read, like meditation, yet a pageturner, pardon that cliche. Good thing I have the next book in hand already. Absolutely fantastic, this book. ( )
  bookscentlover | Nov 5, 2016 |
I was not impressed. None of it really made any sense. The characters were predictable and cliched, and I just expected something a bit more dramatic to come of it all. It was an easy read but all just a bit silly really. ( )
  AlisonSakai | Aug 14, 2016 |
what can I say a spellbinder his books only get better - Joey Murphy death - finding god - missionary - Jessie in Micronesia - 18 years a miracle - Song - "I am here, Here I am - Do not be afraid. I'm waiting" - Tom Booth

In a plush Virginia office, a rich, angry old man is furiously rewriting his will. With his death just hours away, Troy Phelan wants to send a message to his children, his ex-wives, and his minions, a message that will touch off a vicious legal battle and transform dozens of lives.

Because Troy Phelan's new will names a sole surprise heir to his eleven-billion-dollar fortune: a mysterious woman named Rachel Lane, a missionary living deep in the jungles of Brazil.
  christinejoseph | Jun 23, 2016 |

John Grishamprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lundwall, Sam J.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Down to the last day, even the last hour now.
Information from the Slovak Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
Na tento deň som sa pripravoval dlho. Každý cent svojho bohatstva som nadobudol vďaka vlastnému úsiliu, rozumu a šťastiu. Môžem ho teda míňať, ako sa mi páči. Mohol by som ho aj darovať podľa svojich predstáv, ale v tom mi chcú zabrániť.
Prečo by som sa mal starať, kto dostane moje peniaze? Použil som ich na všetko, čo si len človek vie predstaviť. Keď sedím sám v invalidnom vozíku a čakám, nenapadá ma jediná vec, ktorú by som si ešte chcel kúpiť alebo vidieť.
Všetko mám za sebou a som veľmi unavený.
Nezáleží mi na tom, kto dostane peniaze. Ale nie je mi ani ľahostajné, kto ich nedostane.

German

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440234743, Mass Market Paperback)

Troy Phelan, a 78-year-old eccentric and the 10th-richest man in America, is about to read his last will and testament, divvying up an estate worth $11 billion. Phelan's three ex-wives, their grasping spawn, a legion of lawyers, several psychiatrists, and a plethora of sound technicians wait breathlessly, all eyes glued to digital monitors as they watch the old man read his verdict. But Phelan shocks everyone with a bizarre, last-gasp attempt to redistribute the spoils, setting in motion a legal morality tale of a contested will, sin, and redemption.

Our hero, Nate O'Riley--a washed-up, alcoholic litigator with two ruined marriages in his wake and the IRS on his tail--is dispatched to the Brazilian wetlands in search of a mysterious heir named in the will. After a harrowing trip upriver to a remote settlement in the Pantanal, he encounters Rachel Lane, a pure-hearted missionary living with an indigenous tribe and carrying out "God's work." Rachel's grave dedication and kindness impress the jaded lawyer, so much that a nasty bout of dengue fever leads him to a vision that could change his life.

Back in the States, the legal proceedings drag on and Grisham has a high time with Phelan's money-hungry descendents, a regrettable bunch who squandered millions, married strippers, got druggy, and befriended the Mob. The youngest son, Ramble, is a multi-pierced, tattoo-covered malcontent with big dreams for his rock band, the Demon Monkeys. Will Nate get straight with Rachel's aid? Do the greedy heirs get theirs? What's the real legacy of a lifetime's work? The Testament is classic Grisham: a down-and-out lawyer, a lot of money, an action-packed pursuit, and the highest issues at stake. It's not just about great characters; it's about the question of what character is. --Rebekah Warren

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:44 -0400)

A lawyer searches the Brazilian jungle for a missionary doctor working with Indians, the illegitimate daughter of an American tycoon who left her his fortune. But the tycoon's real children are determined to prevent the inheritance.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,174,705 books! | Top bar: Always visible