The Street Lawyer by John Grisham

The Street Lawyer (original 1998; edition 1999)

by John Grisham

Title:The Street Lawyer
Authors:John Grisham
Info:Bantam Books (1999), Mass Market Paperback

The Street Lawyer by John Grisham (1998)

Recently added byjohnwhelms, mtberry2, private library, JPJ74, HopeWorks, dyan46, LitaVore, Kaethe, aburk0204

English (62)  Dutch (3)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (68)
I like Grisham books because they are easy reads and he takes a subject and delves deep, teaching his readers along the way.
The message I got from this book is that people who work hard and make money should feel guilty about 'homeless' people who don't want to own an alarm clock and don't like the restraints of having to be somewhere - like work - at a particular time.
The government doesn't give people who work handouts so I'm more for cheering on the workers rather than the druggies, alcoholics, thieves and the downright lazy.
Sorry Mr Grisham I'm not recommending this one - except to the bleeding hearts.
I'm giving it 3 stars because the writing was good and there is nothing between "I liked it" "I didn't like it". Hello, editors .... not the first time I've commented on the deficient star rating.
  GeneHunter | Mar 13, 2016 |
This book was ok. I seem to always be disappointed with Grisham. Because of all the hype and the bestseller status, I expect so much more. Although the stories are usually well-written, I just don't find them interesting or worth my time. This book took me FOREVER to finish...lol ( )
  bhabeck | Mar 6, 2016 |
Lawyer quits ritzy job and takes on homeless social activism ( )
  nancynova | Sep 12, 2015 |
I found the abridged-audio version of this book thoroughly absorbing. The plot is interesting and while not entirely unpredictable, satisfying through to the end.

The action begins when a homeless man holds as hostage several members of a huge corporate law firm. Following their rescue (and the perpetrator's death), attorney Michael Drake investigates the dead man's situation, and finds him to have been a mentally ill veteran who had lost his place to live through the depredations of his very own firm. Drake quits his law firm to become the "Street Lawyer" of the book's title. The story tracks his evolution as an advocate for homeless, the effects on his marriage, and his own legal troubles he becomes sued by his old firm for theft and malpractice.

This audio book has my enthusiastic recommendation. ( )
2 vote danielx | Apr 16, 2015 |
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
  JosieRivers | Dec 28, 2014 |

John Grishamprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Salojärvi, HeikkiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The man with the rubber boots stepped into the elevator behind me, but I didn't see him at first.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385339097, Paperback)

John Grisham is back with his latest courtroom conundrum, The Street Lawyer. This time the lord of legal thrillers dives deep into the world of the homeless, particularly their barely audible legal voice in a world dominated by large, all-powerful law firms. Our hero, Michael Brock, is on the fast track to partnership at D.C.'s premier law firm, Sweeny & Drake. His dream of someday raking in a million-plus a year is finally within reach. Nothing can stop him, not even 90-hour workweeks and a failing marriage--until he meets DeVon Hardy, a.k.a. "Mister," a Vietnam vet with a grudge against his landlord--and a few lawyers to fry. Hardy, with no clear motive, takes Brock and eight of his colleagues hostage in a boardroom, demanding their tax returns and interrogating them with a conviction that would have put perpetrators of the Spanish Inquisition to shame. Hardy, a man of few words and a lot of ammunition, mumbles cryptically, "Who are the evictors?" as he points a .44 automatic within inches of Brock's face. The violent outcome of the hostage situation triggers an abrupt soul-searching for the young lawyer, and Hardy's mysterious question continues to haunt him. Brock learns that Hardy had been in and out of homeless shelters most of his life, but he had recently begun paying rent in a rundown building; that means he has legal recourse when a big money-making outfit such as Sweeny & Drake boots him with no warning. When Brock realizes that his profession caters to the morally challenged, he sets out on an aimless search through the dicier side of D.C., ending up at the 14th Street Legal Clinic. The clinic's director, a gargantuan man named Mordecai Green, woos Brock to the clinic with a $90,000 cut in pay and the chance to redeem his soul. Brock takes it--and some of the story's credibility along with it; it's hard to believe that a Yale graduate who sacrificed everything--including his marriage--to succeed in the legal profession would quickly jump at the opportunity for low-paying, charitable work. However, Brock's search for corruption in the swanky upper echelons of Sweeny & Drake (via the toughest streets of D.C.) is filled with colorful characters and realistic, gritty descriptions. In the The Street Lawyer, Grisham once again defends the voiceless and powerless. In the words of Mordecai Green, "That's justice, Michael. That's what street law is all about. Dignity."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:10 -0400)

A corporate lawyer in Washington goes to war against his own company to defend the homeless. It happens after Michael Brock is abducted by a homeless man and held hostage. The homeless man is killed by a police sharpshooter and the lawyer is rescued, but the experience changes his life. Michael was in a hurry. He was scrambling up the ladder at Drake & Sweeney, a giant D.C. law firm with eight hundred lawyers. The money was good and getting better; a partnership was three years away. He was a rising star with no time to waste, no time to stop, no time to toss a few coins into the cups of panhandlers. No time for a conscience. But a violent encounter with a homeless man stopped him cold. Michael survived; his assailant did not. Who was this man? Michael did some digging, and learned that he was a mentally ill veteran who'd been in and out of shelters for many years. Then Michael dug a little deeper, and found a dirty secret, and the secret involved Drake & Sweeney. The fast track derailed; the ladder collapsed. Michael bolted the firm and took a top-secret file with him. He landed in the streets, an advocate for the homeless, a street lawyer.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,761,995 books! | Top bar: Always visible