The Firm by John Grisham

The Firm (original 1991; edition 1992)

by John Grisham

Member:alu042
Title:The Firm
Authors:John Grisham
Info:New York, NY, U.S.A.: Dell Publishing (1992), Edition: Other Printing, Mass Market Paperback
Collections:Paper, Your library (inactive)
Tags:fiction

The Firm by John Grisham (1991)

Startup by Glenn Ogura (Mark-L)
    Mark-L: Authors have very similar styles. Love them both!
    The Tenth Justice by Brad Meltzer (micalbi)

English (72)  Spanish (4)  Dutch (3)  Italian (1)  All (80)
I don't know how my review disappeared, but I know I reviewed this one soon after I became a member of LT, so must have done it wrong. It's been a while since I read it, but I do remember it being quite disappointing, and a huge let-down especially when I heard the glowing reviews. Looks like it was written by and for teenagers, but I do remember the most jarring thing was how little skill John Grisham has in writing women. The protagonist's wife was eye-rolllingly "cardboard" and cliche'd. ( )
  afinch11 | May 18, 2017 |
Extraordinary in every sense of the word!!!

A former co-worker —way back in the summer of 1993—raved about this book to me, excitedly exclaiming, 'Cat, girl, you gotta read that book The Firm! Girl, it's by this author named John Grisham... Girl, you ain't gon' be able to put that book down!!! Ooh, girl, it's good!'...

And so, when my shift ended, I stopped by Walgreen's to purchase a paperback copy, then started reading it while riding the El on my way home...

From the first 10 pages into chapter 1, I was hooked! When a novel is so great that from the first few pages you find yourself gripped, that's a superb book. The Firm is in that category. It is a heart-pounding, on-the-edge-of-your-seat thrill ride packed with twists, turns, and chilling suspense. A five-star page-turner, which in truth, is very hard to put down. I even carried it into the bath with me...

Mitch McDeere, the protagonist of the story, and fresh out of law school, takes a new position at a too-good-to-be-true law firm—which is anything but lawful ... In fact, it's plain sinister.

John Grisham's The Firm is sheer, riveting, heart-pounding suspense that will grip the reader from start to finish, and never let up. It is truly one of the greatest legal thrillers EVER written—from one of the true Masters of Legal Suspense. ( )
  CatEllington | May 5, 2017 |
3.5 stars ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Jun 20, 2016 |
Mitch McDeere (whom many may still envision as Tom Cruise, since he played in the role in the movie based on this novel) is a highly intelligent yet monetarily challenged law student finishing up his degree with high honors at Harvard. Holding serious offers from prestigious Chicago and Wall Street law firms for his services, he decides to go ahead and hear the pitch from a smaller law firm in Memphis. What he hears is an offer he cannot believe and cannot refuse. A starting salary significantly higher than he would make elsewhere, promises of large bonuses for passing the bar exam and succeeding on the job, an ascension to partner in as short a time as a decade, a new house with a miniscule mortgage rate, a brand new BMW, and other perks soon have Mitch and his wife Abby settling down in Memphis to enjoy a life of luxury (albeit with hard work on his part). The firm really seems to care about Mitch and his family, wanting happy marriages with several children, to a degree that has Abby a little suspicious. As she should be. This is a great and fairly easy read. Like most Grisham books, you will find yourself hooked to this book from the start. The ending is good, and you may even find yourself re-reading it sometime in the future. You will not be disappointed with this book. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
Very suspenseful, kept my interest up. This book is "a real page turner." Grisham keeps one involved as you are able to experience the characters struggle between fear and moral decisions. ( )
  CathyWoolbright | Apr 20, 2016 |

John Grishamprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ruuska, IrmeliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Renee
The senior partner studied the résumé for the hundredth time and again found nothing he disliked about Mitchell Y. McDeere, at least not on paper.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 044021145X, Mass Market Paperback)

Hard to believe, but there was a time when the word "lawyer" wasn't synonymous with "criminal," and the idea of a law firm controlled by the Mafia was an outlandish proposition. This intelligent, ensnaring story came out of nowhere--Oxford, Mississippi, where Grisham was a small-town lawyer--and quickly catapulted to the top of the bestseller list, with good reason. Mitch McDeere, the appealing hero, is a poor kid whose only assets are a first-class mind, a Harvard law degree, and a beautiful, loving wife. When a Memphis law firm makes him an offer he really can't refuse, he trades his old Nissan for a new BMW, his cramped apartment for a house in the best part of town, and puts in long hours finding tax shelters for Texans who'd rather pay a lawyer than the IRS. Nothing criminal about that. He'd be set for life, if only associates at the firm didn't have a funny habit of dying, and the FBI wasn't trying to get Mitch to turn his colleagues in. The tempo and pacing are brilliant, the thrills keep coming, and the finish has a wonderful ironic flourish. It's not hard to see why Grisham changed the genre permanently with this one, and few of his colleagues in a very crowded field come close to equaling him. --Jane Adams

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:05 -0400)

At the top of his class at Harvard Law, he had his choice of the best in America. He made a deadly mistake. When Mitch McDerre signed on with Bendini, Lambert & Locke of Memphis, he thought he and his beautiful wife, Abby, were on their way. The firm leased him a BMW, paid off his school loans, arranged a mortgage and hired him a decorator. Mitch McDeere should have remembered what his brother Ray, doing fifteen years in a Tennessee jail, already knew. You never get nothing for nothing. Now the FBI has the lowdown on Mitch's firm and needs his help. Mitch is caught between a rock and a hard place, with no choice, if he wants to live.… (more)

1954 avail.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,471,339 books! | Top bar: Always visible