Galveston (Far Western Civil War) by P.G.…

Galveston (Far Western Civil War) (original 2002; edition 2010)

by P.G. Nagle

Member:HonoluluSprite
Title:Galveston (Far Western Civil War)
Authors:P.G. Nagle
Info:Evennight Books (2010), Kindle Edition

Galveston by P. G. Nagle (2002)

English (31)  French (1)  All languages (32)
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
More, as usual, on my blog: http://wp.me/pqShW-Af

It's a fascinating era, and these books take in a corner of it not usually seen. I've read a great deal of fiction set in the 1800's, but surprisingly little set in and around the Civil War (apart from Abel Jones). And even in the non-fiction I've read and watched the war in the West is largely a blank – even Ken Burns's Civil War only touched on it glancingly. I appreciate this book, and in fact this series, for putting the spotlight where few others seem to have.

I was surprised at how unfamiliar the Confederate setting was to me, and I wonder if it's because some writers prefer to stick to the side that won in the end? (Sorry about the spoiler, there.) There was a certain fatalistic quality to it all, and a queasiness when Colonel Forrest was mentioned, and no surprises in how the causes of the War were viewed. The surprise to me was the reaction among Wheat's crewmates to the Emancipation Proclamation. I knew it was far from universally popular in the North, but this … It felt accurate, and it felt … sad. You know in the larger scheme of things there's not going to be a happy ending ... Unfortunately there wasn't much of an ending at all: to be continued. ( )
  Stewartry | Sep 7, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received a complimentary e-book copy of Galveston from LibraryThing and the author P.G. Nagle.

I really wanted to enjoy this book. It was my first as an e-book and I really wanted it to be a good experience.

Despite several attempts I couldn't get into this book. There were far too many characters for me and I really wasn't sure who was on which side. I have no knowledge of this particular period of American history and I felt that that contributed to spoiling the story. I can appreciate the skillfull writing and assume that it's historically correct, but this really wasn't a book for me. ( )
  JaneDickerson | Apr 11, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
P.G. Nagle is a historian. "Galveston" is truly a historical novel which falls mostly in the "history" category. With detailed descriptions of the Civil War, language and syntax relative to the 1800's and customs of the times, Nagle's book is a triumph. However, the number and complexity of the characters takes away from the book at the beginning. Were the novel simplified in this area more closely, it would have had a better flow of storyline and would, I think, capture a wider reading public.

What's so admirable about "Galveston" is the expansive story and information we learn about soldiers and the battles of the Civil War. The book is one of a series, and I think those who love historical novels of this sort need to find and read them all to get a full picture of the War from Nagle's perspective. It may also give a more complete understandig of the main families profiled.

The story between brother and sister, James and Emma, was interesting and tender, and saved the novel, I felt, from being too dry. I have to say that it was the only part of the book that kept me reading, as I found much of the other historical information heavy. I'm not a student of the Civil War battles and generals. That material just isn't of interest to me on a whole.

All in all, I would only recommend this book to those who truly want to read history with a bit of novel included. I would recommend it to Civil War buffs. I think it's a heavy book for most novel readers who are looking for a historical romance.

The last thing I must mention is that I was given this book from a LibraryThing Early Reviewers win. It was an ebook format. As a reviewer, I'm not comfortable with ebooks. They seem to distort the stories somehow in my mind. I'm not able to makes notes as easily, nor am I able to flip back and forth to connect parts like I'm accustomed to doing with hard copies. This may have affected my review of the book. While I have and use a couple of Readers, I don't use them as a rule for my reviews.

Written by a gifted author, though, and one whose talent cannot be dismissed. Nagle is a descriptive and capable writer. It's just that not every book is everybody's cup of tea.

Deborah/TheBookishDame ( )
  BookishDame | Apr 6, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I don't know enough about the American Civil War (not being American myself) to vouch for the historical accuracy of this book. Despite that I enjoyed it, it's well written and very detailed. The characters are interesting, although it is a bit stressful to keep track of them all. The plot starts a bit too slowly but the pace picks up later. ( )
  Octane | Apr 6, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Galveston is the account of the taking of Galveston by the Union and then the recapture by the Confederates. It is told from the perspective of fictional characters on both sides of the civil war.

I found the details intriguing. I had not previously known of this conflict. I found it interesting to see the development of the characters and how each viewed the conflict.

It is a book that will enlighten and entertain. I recommend this book for those who love history told with fictional characters.
  kkieffer49 | Mar 7, 2011 |
"... while we defend our rights with our strong arms and honest hearts, those we meet in battle may also have hearts as brave and honest as our own." -- Albert Miller Lea
"... at last we reached San Antonio, where we were given a good suit of clothes each, furnished with a square meal, and all but the Valverde Battery furloughed for sixty days but subject to be called in at a moment's notice, and we all went home to rest and recruit." -- William L. Davidson, 5th TX Mounted Rifles
Jamie Russell gazed at the low-slung ranch house, almost glad he was not permitted to go toward it.

The Battle for Galveston 1862

The island city of Galveston, a vital port where blockade runners bring key supplies into the Confederacy from abroad, is suddenly occupied by the Union, blockaded by navy vessels, cut off from the Texas mainland by the enemy. Jamie Russell, an artillery officer in the Valverde Battery and veteran of battles in New Mexico, has a personal stake in the safety of the city--his sister Emma and their Aunt May are trapped there. But Jamie also has the ear of General Magruder in Houston. If the Confederate army can retake the harbor, it will be a powerful victory for the South, and will enable Jamie's family to flee to safer quarters. If, on the other hand, the New Year dawns with the Yankees still holding Galveston and reinforcements on the way, it may be too late for Jamie's kin and for the hopes of the Confederacy's blockade runners.

Jamie and his allies have but one chance, a daring attack on the Union ships. If it works, they are heroes. If they fail, all Texas may be open to invasion by the Yankees.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:56 -0400)

"Raj Whitehall was a young noble of the Civil Government, the last remnant of galactic civilization on the planet Bellevue. Possessed of an unparalleled strategic genius, Raj dreamed of leading his people's armies to victory against the barbarians who threatened to engulf them." "Yet it was not exterior enemies who were Raj's greatest challenge, but the Civil Government itself. Its bureaucrats had become corrupt extortionists. The ranks of its armies were filled with barbarian mercenaries ready to turn on the paymasters they despised. Those at the highest levels sank their knives into each other's backs even as the barbarians closed in. And the Governor himself, the man to whom Raj has sworn and given absolute loyalty, nourished a paranoid envy and mistrust that grew with every victory Raj won....". "Luckily for Bellevue, Raj had a hidden asset beyond the worship of his troops and his own genius for war. Raj was possessed of - or possessed by - a "guardian angel" that guided him inexorably toward the goal of planetary dominion. But could even a battle computer of the Galactic Age be enough to counter the fury of Raj's enemies ... and the treachery of his "friends"?"--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

P. G. Nagle's book Galveston was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Pati Nagle is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,648,910 books! | Top bar: Always visible