The Rainmaker by John Grisham

The Rainmaker (1995)

by John Grisham

English (36)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (38)
My Second Fave Author After James Patterson is of course, John Grisham! His books are absolutely amazing and they keep you on a going! ( )
  diananagy | May 20, 2014 |
Meh. I liked the main character thought process and how he was written. ( )
  Rachelle_Ockert | May 9, 2014 |
A young lawyer in Memphis, in his very first court case finds himself in over his head when he faces an experienced legal team defending a large insurance company. The tension is kept high as he struggles with unfamiliar courtroom processes while counsel for the defendants apply some underhand tactics to try and win the case for their client.

In the midst of the trial, he gets involved with a young woman who's being abused by her husband, and his involvement leads to an unexpected and explosive situation. I thought the author's handling of this situation was rather sketchy in comparison to the detail he spent on the insurance trial case. I'm not sure introducing this particular situation added any value to the overall story.

I like this story of an underdog standing up for what's right, eventually playing the bully at his own game and coming out on top. ( )
  cameling | May 1, 2014 |
The Rainmaker: A Novel by John Grisham--This is the first book of John Grisham I have ever read and ever since reading it I was completely hooked, lined and sinkered! It is little wonder how this story turned into a great movie. It is compassioned and self, good and bad, and the main character is constantly dealing with what's rights and whats wrong. He got used to a fancy, wealthy live style which is all turned upside-down with the death of his father and the inheritance of his brother. An excellent read which will never disappoint. ( )
  ReneeRobinson | Apr 29, 2014 |
An enjoyable read with John Grisham returning to the courtroom. ( )
  adeej | Apr 25, 2014 |

John Grishamprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sappinen, Jorma-VeikkoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To American trial lawyers
My decision to become a lawyer was irrevocably sealed when I realized my father hated the legal profession.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385339607, Paperback)

The supple voice and deft narrative skills of Frank Muller are an excellent match for this tremendously popular courtroom thriller. With subtle vocal changes, accents, and thoughtful interpretation, Muller helps elevate the drama and suspense of this fascinating tale, which pits a small-time rookie lawyer against the power and influence of a corrupt insurance company. Muller's talent gives life to the entire cast: from apathetic law students to slippery corporate lawyers and heartbroken senior citizens. "It's simple... they're a bunch of crooks," exclaims the young lawyer's first clients, an elderly couple bitter over being swindled. "They think we're simple, ignorant trash with no money to fight 'em." Battling his instinct to agree, he sets out to defend their rightful claims and finds himself enmeshed in a suspenseful case of ruthless intimidation and deadly criminal behavior. (Running time: 17 hours, 12 cassettes) --George Laney

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:53 -0400)

In his final semester of law school, Rudy Baylor "finds himself taking on one of the most powerful, corrupt, and ruthless companies in America -- and exposing a complex, multibillion-dollar insurance scam."

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,416,381 books! | Top bar: Always visible