The Rainmaker by John Grisham

The Rainmaker (1995)

by John Grisham

English (52)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (55)
Rudy Baylor, just out of law school and having just passed the bar exam takes on the case of the century. He takes on the case of a poor family whose son is dying of leukemia against the huge, greedy insurance company refuses to pay for the expense treatment that will save his life. Eventually the son dies before the trial has a chance to even get started. Its found out during the trial that the insurance company, for a period of a couple years, schemed to deny paying on all claims no matter their validity in order to save money. At the end of the trial, the company had a verdict against it for some $50 million. Shortly afterwards, the company goes belly up and the family and Rudy are left not recovering any money at all.

During the trial Rudy meets Kelly, a battered wife. During the trial they see each other on occasion, the first time was at the hospital after the deadbeat boyfriend knocks her around for the umpteenth time. As the trial nears its ending, Rudy helps Kelly file for divorce, which enrages the husband. The husband gets hit with a baseball bat in the head. Rudy actually does it, but Kelly tries to take the blame. Rudy get Kelly off because of the previous abuse charges and the husband's family threatening both of them. After everything settles down, they decide to drive far off into the sunset to start a new life together. ( )
  krgulick | Jun 19, 2019 |
Readers of this novel will be glad to have a conversation starter in cafes and other public locales, as friendly strangers weigh in on which Grisham novel is their favorite. Otherwise a reader will vacillate between slight interest and minor boredom as they make progress through this narrative. What may help is there is a young Matt Damon movie version; a good carrot dangling at the end of a mundane read. There is also credit for the theme present throughout: being in the minority, but being right about a cause, that can give you the courage to make a difference. ( )
  Meghanista | Dec 7, 2018 |
I enjoyed The Rainmaker. It was captivating and refreshing also slightly depressing but in a your-life-sucks-kinda way. The main characters are developed well but not really challenged much.

As always the legal drama is insightful and I particularly enjoyed the role the judges played in this novel.

I was expecting a predictable ending but like most of Grisham's books - or at least the three I've read thus far - life happens. The good guy wins but not as he expected to (not a spoiler it's quite obvious from the title). Looking forward to devouring a few other Titles by him.

Any suggestions? ( )
  crimsonjade | Aug 30, 2018 |
Early Grisham from when he could be relied on for a good lawyer/courtroom thriller. I don't actually remember if it was in the book, but the line in the movie: "You must be stupid, stupid, stupid," from the insurance company to the distraught mother attempting to make a claim for her son's illness stuck with me forever as the epitome of bureaucratic contempt for individual rights.

Saying goodbye to several dozen books due to a water damage incident and I thought I'd write at least a little memorial to each of them and about why I kept them around. ( )
  alanteder | Mar 8, 2018 |
One of my favourite Grisham books. Great drama in the courtroom as Rudy Baylor, novice lawyer sues established, wealthy insurance company Great Benefit. Their crime? Repeatedly denying the claim of a terminally ill young man apparently just because they could...or so they thought.

This book really brings out some important lessons; that in the end, big dreams of wealth, success and power usually end up as just that--dreams! Those that do make it often find that the end result is not what they were seeking so they end up striving for more, and more, and more.....and so it goes on. I think it was Jim Carey who said that he wished everyone could be rich and famous so that then they would realise it wasn't the answer....I love the end of this novel as Baylor realises what's really important to him.

There is some swearing in this book and some violence which in places is quite graphic. There is also a domestic violence storyline and some mild sexual innuendo. ( )
  sparkleandchico | Nov 10, 2017 |
When Rudy agrees to represent the parents of a dying 22-year-old denied insurance coverage for a bone-marrow transplant, he finds that he is up against the firm that broke contract with him. Melding the courtroom savvy of A Time to Kill with the psychological nuance of The Chamber, imbued with wry humor and rich characters, this bittersweet tale, the author's quietest and most thoughtful, shows that Grisham's imagination can hold its own in a courtroom as well as on the violent streets outside.
added by a.thomerson | editPublishers Weekly (Apr 3, 1995)

Grisham, Johnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

To American trial lawyers
My decision to become a lawyer was irrevocably sealed when I realized my father hated the legal profession.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385339607, Paperback)

The supple voice and deft narrative skills of Frank Muller are an excellent match for this tremendously popular courtroom thriller. With subtle vocal changes, accents, and thoughtful interpretation, Muller helps elevate the drama and suspense of this fascinating tale, which pits a small-time rookie lawyer against the power and influence of a corrupt insurance company. Muller's talent gives life to the entire cast: from apathetic law students to slippery corporate lawyers and heartbroken senior citizens. "It's simple... they're a bunch of crooks," exclaims the young lawyer's first clients, an elderly couple bitter over being swindled. "They think we're simple, ignorant trash with no money to fight 'em." Battling his instinct to agree, he sets out to defend their rightful claims and finds himself enmeshed in a suspenseful case of ruthless intimidation and deadly criminal behavior. (Running time: 17 hours, 12 cassettes) --George Laney

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:31 -0400)

In his final semester of law school, Rudy Baylor "finds himself taking on one of the most powerful, corrupt, and ruthless companies in America -- and exposing a complex, multibillion-dollar insurance scam."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,762,034 books! | Top bar: Always visible