Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

The Last Juror by John Grisham

The Last Juror (2004)

by John Grisham

Other authors: Terrence Mann (Narrator)

Recently added bybookjen, mcountr, deb.d, WesleyTowers, WJMNaples, hbdbookoo, CDSNeedham, private library, LoisMMurray

English (77)  Dutch (3)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (82)
Sometimes I'm in the mood for Grisham, although he's not my favorite author. He's definitely got some skills, although somehow I often feel a little cheated. Maybe it's like the comment I got on every single report card in high school: "Does not work up to her potential." I liked the evocation of the small southern town, and the ins and outs of a small newspaper, but I wanted more depth. Come on Grisham, work up to your potential! Adult fiction. ( )
  JanetNoRules | Sep 17, 2018 |
I didn't feel this was as explosive and blind siding as most of his other books. It's was a good read but not like his others. It was interesting to read a little bit about the integration of people in the late 70's in the south. ( )
  Chelz286 | Aug 26, 2018 |
Boring ( )
  starkravingmad | Aug 2, 2018 |
I enjoyed this book. It was not as intense as I am used to from John Grisham but it was an interesting read. ( )
  Thelmajean | Jun 5, 2018 |
The Juror
4 Stars

Not Grisham's usual style but a wonderful storyline and excellent characterization nonetheless.

Grisham has captured the essence of the small town and its inhabitants. There were moments where I found myself laughing out loud at the antics despite the serious nature of the plot. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |

John Grishamprimary authorall editionscalculated
Mann, TerrenceNarratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
After decades of patient mismanagement and loving neglect, The Ford County Times went bankrupt in 1970.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385339682, Paperback)

In 1970, small town newspaper The Clanton Times went belly up. With financial assistance from a rich relative, it's purchased by 23-year-old Willie Traynor, formerly the paper's cub reporter. Soon afterward, his new business receives the readership boost it needs thanks to his editorial efforts and coverage of a particularly brutal rape and murder committed by the scion of the town's reclusive bootlegger family. Rather than shy from reporting on the subsequent open-and-shut trial (those who oppose the Padgitt family tend to turn up dead in the area's swampland), Traynor launches a crusade to ensure the unrepentant murderer is brought to justice. When a guilty verdict is returned, the town is relieved to find the Padgitt family's grip on the town did not sway the jury, though Danny Padgitt is sentenced to life in prison rather than death. But, when Padgitt is released after serving less than a decade in jail and members of the jury are murdered, Clanton once again finds itself at the mercy of its renegade family.

When it comes, the dénouement is no surprise; The Last Juror is less a story of suspense than a study of the often idyllic southern town of Clanton, Mississippi (the setting for Grisham's first novel, A Time to Kill). Throughout the nine years between Padgitt's trial and release, Traynor finds acceptance in Clanton, where the people "don't really trust you unless they trusted your grandfather." He grows from a long-haired idealist into another of the town's colorful characters--renovating an old house, sporting a bowtie, beloved on both sides of the color line, and the only person to have attended each of the town's 88 churches at least once. The Last Juror returns Grisham to the courtroom where he made his name, but those who enjoyed the warm sentiment of his recent novels (Bleachers, A Painted House) will still find much to love here. --Benjamin Reese

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:59 -0400)

In 1970, one of Mississippi's more colorful weekly newspapers went bankrupt. To the surprise and dismay of many, ownership was assumed by a 23 year-old college dropout, named Willie Traynor. The future of the paper looked grim until a young mother was brutally raped and murdered by a member of the notorious Padgitt family. Willie Traynor reported all the gruesome details and the paper began to prosper. The murderer, Danny Padgitt was tried before a packed courthouse in Clanton, Mississippi. The trial came to a startling and dramatic end when he was found guilty. He was sentenced to life in prison, but in Mississippi, in 1970, "life" didn't necessarily mean "life" and nine years later Danny Padgitt managed to get himself paroled. He returned to Ford County and the retribution began.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,497,372 books! | Top bar: Always visible