Fledgling: Jason Steed by Mark A. Cooper

Fledgling: Jason Steed

by Mark A. Cooper

It seems like years ago when I read Fledgling. It was the first real book I ever read, before this I only read comics and graphic novels.
Fledgling Jason Steed is the first book of the series, the series now has 4 books and I like them all. It is a bit like Alex Rider and a bit like Karate Kid but Jason Steed is more like real, like real life.

Book 1 Fledgling Jason is born and his mom dies giving birth, his dad is very upset and when Jason is 5 he over hears hid dad say, "I wish they saved her rather than trying to save the baby"
Jason is brought up by different nannies. He finds something that he likes, Martial Arts and becomes obsessed with it, learning as much as he can. Because of his small size and age he has to train with older bigger boys, later in life this helps him to take on adults.

At age 11 he and his father move to London, were he makes friends with Scott Turner a very very funny character LOL. One night his father gets mugged and Jason runs to his rescue, it is the first time his father has ever seen Jason in action. Jason takes on both muggers and seriously hurts them. The next day Jason is sat up in bed and examining his cut knuckles his dad brings him a cup of tea and thanks jason. Then his dad kissed Jason's head and says something Jason has never heard from anyone ever before he simply says. "I love you" Jason says "Really?" at this point I had to get the kleenex :)

Jason joins the Sea cadets at 11 and while on summer camp a nearby Marine mission goes wrong and some of the Cadets get caught up in it.
Up to now the books while just ok, now it goes into over drive and this is why it is such a great series. I won;t spoil it, but Jason really kicks ass. ( )
2 vote jackcolinconnor | Nov 18, 2015 |
Fledgling Jason Steed is the best book I have read, it was almost life like. I do like Alex Rider books as well, but Jason Steed seemed more life-like. The emotion between Jason and his dad made me almost cry.
The story is fast, exciting and made me want to read the rest of the series and more spy books. ( )
2 vote chasebush | Oct 14, 2015 |
The writing in this book was kind of atrocious, the plot was incredibly unbelievable, and it was completely corny and cheesy. However, middle school students seem to love it, and I even found a few parts mildly enjoyable. There is quite a bit of set-up to this book, so I'm assuming that the next books will all start out with a bigger bang. There is PLENTY of action at the end of this book. Ridiculous, implausible, violent action, but action nonetheless. Once again - right up a middle grade boy's alley. (I read somewhere that this was Prince William's favorite book. Really?)

Is it worth listing all the things that irritated me about this book?

*A ten year old boy dancing with a girl, kissing a girl and wanting to be with her all the time? Has the author ever met any 10 year old boys?
*The Queen of England began a sentence with, "You have showed great bravery..." Is that a British vs. American thing? Because that is not proper grammar where I come from, and you would think the Queen could manage to speak The Queen's English.
*The 10 and 11 year old kids were speaking like 70 year olds.
*I couldn't stand Jason's father. I kept thinking he would redeem himself, but not so much. Even at the end, when his little boy is having nightmares because of the horrible things he has experienced, he just tells him that those memories will fade as he replaces them with better ones. Wow, very healthy. And I'm sure PTSD patients everywhere appreciate knowing that as well. Once again, is this a cultural thing? All of the British "stiff upper lip" business? I wouldn't have believed it was possible for a book to be too British for me, but this one might be.

I could go on and on, but it doesn't really matter what I think, it is a middle school student's fantasy. An 11 year old takes on scary enemies with his superhero-like abilities and saves the adults who couldn't save themselves.

Areas of concern:
*There are a few instances of profanity along with cussing. (The *d* word and *h* word for the Yanks out there, coupled with 2 words that are much more offensive for Brits than for Yanks.)
*I was very concerned about the sexualizing of 10 and 11 year olds. Kissing on the lips, along with mention of a form-fitting dress and parents being upset because they slept in the same room one night.
*The main character is put in tremendously stressful and dangerous conditions and experiences killing, being shot and the death of friends.

http://read-me-maybe.blogspot.com ( )
  Bduke | Sep 30, 2015 |
The boos that started me reading, it will always be a favorite. ( )
3 vote PeterIanJones | Sep 29, 2015 |
This was the first book that started me reading, until this came along I hated reading, but was soon sucked into the novel, it was funny, exciting and had some very sad parts in it. I have now read the next 3 in the series and also have now read Alex Rider.
I was asked by my teacher what series I like best, I can't really say they are both good, but I would never have started reading f it was not for Jason Steed so this is probably my fav. ( )
8 vote WarrenGilbert | Jun 22, 2015 |
"Always look beyond what you can see." From Wong Tong, and repeated by Jason Steed.
A coming of age young adult book, 'think Cherub, Alex Rider' but with emotional and scenes with feelings.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 074144934X, Paperback)

Watching as his friends became victims of slaughter, under a threat of nuclear attack. Could 11-year-old Jason Steed, summon the will to survive to save himself and his country?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:22 -0400)

Jason Steed, an eleven-year-old martial arts expert, is spending his summer training on a British Navy frigate when rebel forces attack, and he must find the courage to rescue a special ops team and save the world from a nuclear war.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,469,380 books! | Top bar: Always visible