dismiss

The Partner (1997)

by John Grisham

They watched Danilo Silva for days before they finally grabbed him. He was living alone, a quiet life on a shady street in Brazil; a simple life in a modest home, certainly not one of luxury. Certainly no evidence of the fortune they thought he had stolen. He was much thinner and his face had been altered. He spoke a different language, and spoke it very well.But Danilo had a past with many chapters. Four years earlier he had been Patrick Lanigan, a young partner in a prominent Biloxi law firm. He had a pretty wife, a new daughter, and a bright future. Then one cold winter night Patrick was trapped in a burning car and died a horrible death. When he was buried his casket held nothing more than his ashes.From a short distance away, Patrick watched his own burial. Then he fled. Six weeks later, a fortune was stolen from his ex-law firm's offshore account. And Patrick fled some more.But they found him.From the Hardcover edition.… (more)

English (62)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (64)
Ok, I know... All of Grisham's stuff is alike and pap and not good enough for real readers. That may be true but I like the stuff. I wait until the paperback, but I grab it and read it and like it. The Partner is another good one. Attorney Patrick Lanigan disappeared four years ago with $90 million dollars. Everyone is looking for him and then he's found… ( )
  susandennis | Jun 5, 2020 |
good story as always ( )
  MustangGuy | Feb 21, 2020 |
First book I read by this author. It was good enough to read another book by the author but not overly exciting. ( )
  soosthemoose | Nov 19, 2019 |
I found this book very enjoyable. Many twists and turns along the way. Familiar themes found in other Grisham novels which are entertaining. If you like Grisham's other novels I believe you will find this entertaining, if this is your first you will enjoy it too. ( )
  foof2you | Jul 15, 2019 |
I thoroughly enjoyed "The Partner" and gladly recommend it. As John Grisham's 9th novel, it was published in 1997, after such blockbusters as "The Firm" (1991), "Pelican Brief" (1992), "The Rainmaker" (1995), and "The Runaway Jury" (1996). The plot features a likeable young attorney, Patrick Lanigan, who steals 90 million dollars from the Mississippi law firm where he is a partner, and flees to Brazil. Patrick had found himself in a dead-end marriage with a deceitful cheating wife, and having discovered that his firm was involved in a scheme to defraud the US government, diverts the ill-gotten gains to his own account, with the help of Eva, a beautiful Brazilian attorney. To escape suspicion, he has faked his own death in a fiery care accident, leaving behind a fully incinerated corpse that is (of course) not his own. Naturally, he is tracked down, and subjected to vigorous attempts (including physical torments) to force him to reveal the whereabouts of the money.

The reader naturally roots for Lanigan -- out of admiration for his cleverness and resourcefulness, and in sympathy for his wish to escape his life and live on the beaches in Brazil. One's admiration grows as Lanigan, having been captured by the authorities and returned to Mississippi, not only manages to stay out of prison, but sidesteps each of the many charges against him -- the most serious being murder, given the dead body found in his vehicle. In fact, in one of the cleverest aspects of the tale, Patrick, tired of being on the run, left sufficient clues that he could be found -- but found on his own terms. Certainly I am not alone among readers in having wanted Patrick to succeed (after all, the money was tainted, and he gives it all back, only keeping some of the accrued interest that it gained to set himself up for life... and the murder charge turns out to be spurious . For such reasons, I'm ambivalent about the ending -- in which the beautiful Eva with whom he hoped to spend his life takes off with the money -- all of it-- leaving him nearly penniless in Brazil, begging money from his old friends and working as a language tutor... hoping that someday, Eva will return to him. With hindsight, a denouement in which Lanigan gets away scot free arguably could have yielded too pat an ending. Nevertheless, I think I prefer to consider Patrick as not only having outwitted the shysters, the insurance companies, the careerist prosecutors, and his cheating ex-wife, but also having gained the wonderful life his had longed for with the woman he loved. All told, I found this a highly entertaining story, and one that fans of John Grisham will certainly enjoy. ( )
1 vote danielx | Jun 19, 2019 |

John Grishamprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sappinen, Jorma-VeikkoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For David Gernert friend, editor, agent
They found him in Ponta Porã, a pleasant little town in Brazil, on the border of Paraguay, in a land still known as the Frontier.
ISBN 0582434068 is for Penguin Reader Level 5 book retold by Jacqueline Kehl

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,861,548 books! | Top bar: Always visible