Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

The Partner by John Grisham

The Partner (1997)

by John Grisham

English (58)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (60)
The first book I read by John Grisham was "A Time to Kill". I was thrilled by the book and considered it a solid 5 star. This is the 7th of his books that I have read.

The last 2 have seemed to be just forumalic books to give something to the "fans". This one is strictly for entertainment. Not that I am against entertainment. But this isn't the type of entertainment I seek. This is my current local book club selection.

The book will provide entertainment on a long drive - although not great entertainment. It's a story about disreputable people. Forgettable people, despite the principal character's so-called brilliance. I thought several key outcomes were predictable early in the book. Overall not believable. For me it was a waste of time and totally forgettable. ( )
  yhgail | Feb 20, 2019 |
(Original review, 1997-05-30)

This morning on the Tube I saw a Grisham lying around, “The Partner”, and I was tempted to take it, but it was not marked as a bookcrossing book - so I wondered if somebody had only forgotten it or lost it out of his backpack when leaving the tram in a haste. So I left it in there. Of course, somebody might have finished it and let it lie there for somebody else to take it. But since there was no affirmation that it was fine to take it I did not want to commit trover and left it. Shame, it would have been my first Grisham. Yes, I know, he wrote lots and is a bestselling author, which is usually a sign for someone who has found a formula that works, but he is a lawyer and writes about what he knows. I didn’t Laws - not even Portuguese ones. Not that I lack books. I could always finish Cortazar's Winner next. Or Snow Child ... Or that Portuguese single volume Fantasy book. Or ... Or ... Or ...

What would you have done?

And if some of you let a book lie around in public transport after finishing it - do you mark it as Fine To Take? Or do you just let it lie around?

Bear with me, for I have to say it: Cortázar over Grisham any day ;) Do you think you’d probably pick it up? I don't imagine someone would rush back to get it.

Got to give Grisham credit for what he does though: some great easy reads, that help you get back on track when you start caring about your corporate employers just a little bit too much. Don't think I've read more than two or three books of his, but nothing particularly cringe-worthy (one star reading, I mean) comes to mind. I never leave books in public transport: I'm a compulsive hoarder, so all of them (finished or not) pile up on my bookshelves. There are, however, quite a few begging to be taken to second hand book stores, those that I can't stand or those that deserve a new life.

Maybe as I get older and turn into a waterpot, it’d entitle me to take whatever the hell I want in the world of abandoned books. I don’t speak as a waterpot and my word is not final (*Yeah, finally all those Regency Romances have paid off! ;) That is where my usage of "waterpot" stems from. I knew it would come in handy one day. Next time I will try to fit in the word "fiddlesticks", stolen from "Little Lord Fauntleroy".)

NB: I used to participate in our Portuguese equivalent of Bookcrossing, but gave up because it seemed to get very competitive and infested by Romanians shamelessly looking for free books - the original spirit was lost. I would never take, let alone leave, a book on public transport. Maybe after turning into an waterpot things will change... ( )
  antao | Dec 17, 2018 |
It was a really good book and I enjoyed it a lot. It took me a while to read the book because I am not the biggest of readers but I eventually made myself set down and read it, after I finally read it I found that I got into it a lot.

I found myself rooting for Patrick the whole time from beginning to end, as I read it I found him reminding me of Neil Caffrey off of the show White Collar. In a way I had a feeling that Eva was going to take off with the money and leave him nothing but I did not want to believe it, I was just hoping it was the non-trusting side of me that was just saying this and hoping it was wrong but that non-trusting side of me was right (Like always) It was sad really I wouldn't have done that to him. It was cowardly thing to do What a bitch. ( )
  Sam-Teegarden | Jun 2, 2018 |
My first John Grisham book. And it ignited my love for his legal thrillers. ( )
  siok | Nov 26, 2017 |
From the start this was an intriguing story, the way the layers peel back as the pages flow is superb and keeps your attention. Not to mention keeps you guessing as to who's doing what and why. Whilst there's not much in the way of courtroom action there is plenty of legal manoeuvring.

The ending however is quite disappointing, after all the character building throughout the novel the character then does something completely out of line with all their qualities they've demonstrated so far and worse, seemingly for no reason. ( )
  HenriMoreaux | Aug 17, 2017 |
For David Gernert friend, editor, agent
They found him in Ponta Porã, a pleasant little town in Brazil, on the border of Paraguay, in a land still known as the Frontier.
ISBN 0582434068 is for Penguin Reader Level 5 book retold by Jacqueline Kehl

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385339100, Paperback)

Literary slugger John Grisham returns with a story about-- surprise!--a lawyer in trouble. Patrick Lanigan had been a young partner in a prominent Southern law firm. He had a beautiful wife, a new baby girl, and a bright future. Then one winter night Patrick was trapped in a burning car; the casket they buried held nothing but ashes.

A short distance away, Patrick watched his own burial then fled. A fortune was stolen from his ex-firm's offshore account. And Patrick ran, covering his tracks the whole way.

But, now, they've found him.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:27 -0400)

Patrick Lanigan, a young law partner who faked his death and fled the country with millions of dollars stolen from his law firm, is found in Brazil after a four-year chase, but investigators are about to learn that the hunt is really just beginning.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,486,474 books! | Top bar: Always visible