The Partner by John Grisham

The Partner (1997)

by John Grisham

English (42)  Dutch (1)  All languages (43)
This was a really good one. Very clever, good characters and a better ending than he usually delivers. ( )
  AliceAnna | Oct 22, 2014 |
SUMMARY: They watched Danilo Silva for days before they finally grabbed him. He was living alone, a quiet life on a shady street in Brazil; a simple life in a modest home, certainly not one of luxury. Certainly no evidence of the fortune they thought he had stolen. He was much thinner and his face had been altered. He spoke a different language, and spoke it very well.But Danilo had a past with many chapters. Four years earlier he had been Patrick Lanigan, a young partner in a prominent Biloxi law firm. He had a pretty wife, a new daughter, and a bright future. Then one cold winter night Patrick was trapped in a burning car and died a horrible death. When he was buried his casket held nothing more than his ashes.From a short distance away, Patrick watched his own burial. Then he fled. Six weeks later, a fortune was stolen from his ex-law firm's offshore account. And Patrick fled some more.But they found him.From the Hardcover edition. ( )
  Hans.Michel | Sep 13, 2013 |
started 11/13/2010; It started off 4 star but the final 100 pages or so were three, the ending though predictable was only a 2 star.

Pretty much the whole plot was 70% predictable but I did like how it unraveled; I never really liked the Lanigan character as he came off smug to me.

Nonetheless I'm still a Grisham fan ( )
  ScottKalas | Jun 10, 2013 |
Picked this one up in a charity shop for my unexpected section. It's really not what I'd normally read, what with all the crime and lawyers and being terribly terribly sneaky, but it's easy to read and I could appreciate the sneakiness. It's a pretty clever plot, I think, with a sting in the tail which actually made me say ouch aloud.

The weird thing about it is that the main character isn't innocent. He pretty much deserves what he's getting, and it's really weird that everything comes up roses for him -- at least legally, and in terms of his plot all going to plan. Maybe not personally. But he's done something really awful -- even once the 'murder' is explained -- and yet people still like him, still do what he needs... it's weird and it's hard to really root for him.

The story overall is a bit dry, but it is kind of interesting trying to follow all the twists and turns. It's a little unrealistic that something could turn out so perfectly, and the sting in the tail doesn't really change that, but it's fun enough. I have a couple of other Grisham books to read. We'll see how they go. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
I cannot think of many things that would piss me off more than finding out that my husband faked his death... ( )
  TeenieLee | Apr 3, 2013 |
For David Gernert friend, editor, agent
They found him in Ponta Porã, a pleasant little town in Brazil, on the border of Paraguay, in a land still known as the Frontier.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385339100, Paperback)

Literary slugger John Grisham returns with a story about-- surprise!--a lawyer in trouble. Patrick Lanigan had been a young partner in a prominent Southern law firm. He had a beautiful wife, a new baby girl, and a bright future. Then one winter night Patrick was trapped in a burning car; the casket they buried held nothing but ashes.

A short distance away, Patrick watched his own burial then fled. A fortune was stolen from his ex-firm's offshore account. And Patrick ran, covering his tracks the whole way.

But, now, they've found him.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:01 -0400)

Patrick Lanigan, a young law partner who faked his death and fled the country with millions of dollars stolen from his law firm, is found in Brazil after a four-year chase, but investigators are about to learn that the hunt is really just beginning.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,394,000 books! | Top bar: Always visible