The Partner (John Grisham) by John Grisham

The Partner (John Grisham) (original 1997; edition 1997)

by John Grisham, Michael Beck (Reader)

Member:kgavs84
Title:The Partner (John Grisham)
Authors:John Grisham
Other authors:Michael Beck (Reader)
Info:Random House Audio (1997), Edition: Abridged, Audio CD

The Partner by John Grisham (1997)

English (53)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All (55)
This is not one of the best Grisham books, but there is enough suspense and drama to make it worth reading. I don't think it has been made into a movie yet although there may be a TV series pending...

A man is hiding out in Brazil under an assumed identity. Four years before he had been a partner in a successful law firm in America. By all accounts he was happily married and adored his daughter. But then, he had died in a car accident. Shortly afterwards ninety million dollars had disappeared from a client.....It's only a matter of time before the man is found and positively identified, but who will get to him first?

It's difficult to come up with the moral of this story without ruining the plot for those who have yet to read it. One obvious lesson is that living on the run from the law or running away from your past is no fun and will eventually catch up with you. This applies across the board.

God has created us with a conscience and knowledge of right and wrong. If we persistently sin, our conscience may become dulled but there will be a nagging feeling that something is not quite right. We cannot escape it. The Partner is a good illustration of this truth--the man is always looking over his shoulder and waiting for the inevitable. He cannot relax and enjoy the things he has acquired. We know too, that those who evade justice in this life will face the ultimate Judge in the next. The One who judges perfectly according to His law all those who have not trusted Jesus for their salvation. This book also reminds us that relationships are more valuable than possessions.

There is some mild swearing. There is no sexual content apart from some references to nudity. There is some graphic violence including torture scenes which will upset some. Grisham fans may enjoy this, I doubt anyone could have predicted the ending!

sparkleandchico | Jun 2, 2017 |
I tried to like this book, but I just didn't. It's Grisham's work, and I respect the great man as being one of the top "Masters of Legal Suspense", but The Partner failed to impress me. It has a really great synopsis, sure, but (and there are a lot of "buts" about this one) once I started reading it, I found the plot to be too slow-moving and boring—not to mention horrendous in character development. For some may regard The Partner as being top-notch Grisham, but I do not. ( )
  CatEllington | May 5, 2017 |
This book is 418 pages - it felt like 700. I mostly read crime fiction, bios, and history. Grisham came out recently with a new legal thriller and it occurred to me that it had been a long time since I read one, and that it might be a good break from my usual stuff. But the new book wasn't exactly flying off the shelves so I googled "Grisham's best novels", logged the top five of a number of experts, read a few plot descriptions and decided on "The Partner", written almost 20 years ago.

The story is about Patrick, a young attorney who is brought into a small Biloxi, MS law firm with four partners, four very crooked partners. After a few years with the firm, Patrick fakes his own death, intercepts a huge wire transfer of the lawyers' gross settlement from a Federal case, and eventually runs away to Brazil. With $90 million. The book begins four years later when Patrick is captured and tortured by a private investigation team. Patrick survives, just barely, and is bought back to the US to stand trial not only for the theft but capital murder as well.

I expected a long, detailed account of every detail of the crime in the usual courtroom melodrama, with tainted witnesses, shouted objections, surprise testimony, teary confessions - but nada. Instead, "The Partner" is all about investigation, pre-trial prep, deals. Perry Mason it is not.

Nor was it my cup of tea. I don't like action thrillers (which this is not) nor legal thrillers as it turns out. So maybe it's not fair that I rate such a book a 2-3 particularly when Grisham has had so much success and has built such a devoted fan base. Nevertheless, let me point out a couple of things I did not care for at all, and which are the primary reasons I am unlikely to read another legal thriller. For starters, about the first 40% or perhaps close to 200 pages was stage setting. Lots of characters are introduced, lots of details about the case as well as other material whose significance becomes clear only much later, etc etc. I understand the need to do this, but it was soooo dull. So not much happens for so long - I started to think about how many days it would be until I finished the book and could start something else. I put it down quite often after only reading a few pages. Secondly, it felt to me like a made for TV movie. The hero knows everything, the bad guys are really bad. No really big surprises, and there is a set-up for the Big Twist that takes some steam out of - guess what? - yes, the Big Twist. ( )
  maneekuhi | Dec 15, 2016 |
Very enjoyable book. Quick read. Grisham is good. ( )
  Luke_Brown | Sep 10, 2016 |
This is a good read...not a great one. It did keep my interest but the ending was a disappointment. ( )
  lewilliams | Sep 5, 2016 |
For David Gernert friend, editor, agent
They found him in Ponta Porã, a pleasant little town in Brazil, on the border of Paraguay, in a land still known as the Frontier.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385339100, Paperback)

Literary slugger John Grisham returns with a story about-- surprise!--a lawyer in trouble. Patrick Lanigan had been a young partner in a prominent Southern law firm. He had a beautiful wife, a new baby girl, and a bright future. Then one winter night Patrick was trapped in a burning car; the casket they buried held nothing but ashes.

A short distance away, Patrick watched his own burial then fled. A fortune was stolen from his ex-firm's offshore account. And Patrick ran, covering his tracks the whole way.

But, now, they've found him.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:27 -0400)

Patrick Lanigan, a young law partner who faked his death and fled the country with millions of dollars stolen from his law firm, is found in Brazil after a four-year chase, but investigators are about to learn that the hunt is really just beginning.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,163,521 books! | Top bar: Always visible