The Partner (John Grisham) by John Grisham

The Partner (John Grisham) (original 1997; edition 1997)

by John Grisham, Michael Beck (Reader)

Member:kgavs84
Title:The Partner (John Grisham)
Authors:John Grisham
Other authors:Michael Beck (Reader)
Info:Random House Audio (1997), Edition: Abridged, Audio CD

The Partner by John Grisham (1997)

English (51)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All (53)
This book is 418 pages - it felt like 700. I mostly read crime fiction, bios, and history. Grisham came out recently with a new legal thriller and it occurred to me that it had been a long time since I read one, and that it might be a good break from my usual stuff. But the new book wasn't exactly flying off the shelves so I googled "Grisham's best novels", logged the top five of a number of experts, read a few plot descriptions and decided on "The Partner", written almost 20 years ago.

The story is about Patrick, a young attorney who is brought into a small Biloxi, MS law firm with four partners, four very crooked partners. After a few years with the firm, Patrick fakes his own death, intercepts a huge wire transfer of the lawyers' gross settlement from a Federal case, and eventually runs away to Brazil. With $90 million. The book begins four years later when Patrick is captured and tortured by a private investigation team. Patrick survives, just barely, and is bought back to the US to stand trial not only for the theft but capital murder as well.

I expected a long, detailed account of every detail of the crime in the usual courtroom melodrama, with tainted witnesses, shouted objections, surprise testimony, teary confessions - but nada. Instead, "The Partner" is all about investigation, pre-trial prep, deals. Perry Mason it is not.

Nor was it my cup of tea. I don't like action thrillers (which this is not) nor legal thrillers as it turns out. So maybe it's not fair that I rate such a book a 2-3 particularly when Grisham has had so much success and has built such a devoted fan base. Nevertheless, let me point out a couple of things I did not care for at all, and which are the primary reasons I am unlikely to read another legal thriller. For starters, about the first 40% or perhaps close to 200 pages was stage setting. Lots of characters are introduced, lots of details about the case as well as other material whose significance becomes clear only much later, etc etc. I understand the need to do this, but it was soooo dull. So not much happens for so long - I started to think about how many days it would be until I finished the book and could start something else. I put it down quite often after only reading a few pages. Secondly, it felt to me like a made for TV movie. The hero knows everything, the bad guys are really bad. No really big surprises, and there is a set-up for the Big Twist that takes some steam out of - guess what? - yes, the Big Twist. ( )
  maneekuhi | Dec 15, 2016 |
Very enjoyable book. Quick read. Grisham is good. ( )
  Luke_Brown | Sep 10, 2016 |
This is a good read...not a great one. It did keep my interest but the ending was a disappointment. ( )
  lewilliams | Sep 5, 2016 |
Another good John Grisham read, but not one of my favourites. Holds your attention and moves along at a pace without being exceptional. ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Jun 20, 2016 |
De bevakade Danilo Silva i flera dagar innan de slutligen grep honom. Han bodde ensam, levde ett stilla liv på en skuggig gata i en småstad i Brasilien; ett enkelt liv i ett enkelt hem, definitivt ingen lyx. Där syntes inga spår av den förmögenhet som de trodde att han hade stulit. Hans utseende var förändrat och han talade ett annat språk. Men Danilo hade ett mångsidigt förflutet. Fyra år tidigare hade han varit Patrick Lanigan, en ung delägare i en ansedd advokatbyrå. Han hade en vacker fru, en nyfödd dotter och en strålande framtid. Sedan, en kall vinternatt, dog Patrick en ohygglig död i en brinnande bil. När han begravdes innehöll kistan bara aska. Patrick följde sin egen begravning på avstånd. Därefter flydde han. Sex veckor senare försvann 90 miljoner från advokatbyråns utlandskonto.
  svkkarlskrona | Feb 3, 2016 |
For David Gernert friend, editor, agent
They found him in Ponta Porã, a pleasant little town in Brazil, on the border of Paraguay, in a land still known as the Frontier.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385339100, Paperback)

Literary slugger John Grisham returns with a story about-- surprise!--a lawyer in trouble. Patrick Lanigan had been a young partner in a prominent Southern law firm. He had a beautiful wife, a new baby girl, and a bright future. Then one winter night Patrick was trapped in a burning car; the casket they buried held nothing but ashes.

A short distance away, Patrick watched his own burial then fled. A fortune was stolen from his ex-firm's offshore account. And Patrick ran, covering his tracks the whole way.

But, now, they've found him.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:27 -0400)

Patrick Lanigan, a young law partner who faked his death and fled the country with millions of dollars stolen from his law firm, is found in Brazil after a four-year chase, but investigators are about to learn that the hunt is really just beginning.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,188,265 books! | Top bar: Always visible