Seaside Letters by Denise Hunter

Seaside Letters

by Denise Hunter

If you liked the movie "You've Got Mail", then you will love this story. I was hooked after just reading the first couple of pages. I like it when a story makes me sit up and pay attention or I will miss something, and this book started out that way for me. Sabrina is working at a local cafe on Nantucket Island (a place described in such a way that I would love to go and visit), and doing research for a local author, Renny. She finds herself serving a certain gentleman, Tucker McCabe, at the Cafe every day at the same time. She knows that he is the person she has been getting to know through a chat line on the computer, but she can't let him know who she is because of a situation that happened to her before she met him (which I won't tell you about, because it is better to discover some things by reading the book).

The craziness of it is that Tucker knows she is the lady on-line, and wants her to admit it, but feels if he reveals he knows, she will run from him. So they both play the game of not knowing. In order to get closer to her, Tucker hires her to come to his house read his e-mails and see if she can find clues to help him locate his mystery girl. It gets really hard to keep track of who knows what after awhile, but I loved the plot line and the craziness of it all.

I also enjoyed the author's note at the end, how she weaved in the fact that Sabrina is alot like people who feel they want to hide from God because of a shame over a sin they have committed, and don't feel they can be truly loved. Tucker is like our heavenly Father who loves us and is pursuing us and wants us to come to Him and trust Him fully. But He doesn't force Himself on us, He wants us to want Him.

The ending in the rain was one of the best romantic scenes as I pictured it in my mind and loved the way the author ended the story. It was a fun read, with some sad moments. But it just showed that a moment of weakness can have devastating affects which really do influence alot more people then we might know. Tucker was so patient and understanding which is a great quality and so ready to forgive, another great quality. You will want to give yourself some time to read, because when you pick up this story, you are going to want to read it straight through! ( )
  judyg54 | Dec 31, 2010 |
Seaside Letters is about a woman who starts a new life on an island called Nantucket. She serves coffee at a cafe every morning as her job, and every morning a man named Tucker is there. She is interested in him;he is in her too but she does not realize it. He starts an online relationship with her and they chat every day. He knows it is her that he is chatting with and she knows it is him, but she does not know that he knows it is her. She will not move on in the relationship because of a regretful past that ties her to him. Denise keeps readers on the edge of their seats with the twists and turns in this book! Great book! ( )
  Averee | Feb 12, 2010 |
Sabrina got her heart broken a week before her wedding when she found out that her fiance Jared and her cousin Jaylee were having an affair. To get away from the humiliation and pain, she decides not cancel her honeymoon in Nantucket, but go alone. While there, she falls in love with the town, and decides to stay. She gets a job at a diner, moves into an apartment above a woman who is an aspiring writer, and starts an online relationship as "Sweetpea" with a man named "Harbormaster". Neither one knows who the other is until Harbormaster sends a photo of himself and Sabrina recognizes him as the customer who comes into the diner every morning, a man who she has feelings for. When he asks for a photo of her, her confidence is so shaky that she is afraid he'll think her unattractive, so she sends him a picture of her cousin Arielle, who she thinks is beautiful.

As Sweetpea and Harbormaster, they are very honest with each other. The same can’t be said for Sabrina and Tucker though, and things get really complicated between them. There are a lot of surprises and twists. Although I enjoyed the book from the first page, I thought the pace was too slow in the beginning. About half way through things started to pick up and I got excited to see where the story was going. At times I wanted to hug these two, at others I wanted to slap some sense into them. Both characters were so likable and the descriptions of the town made me feel like I was there by the water.

If you’d like to read a book that is light and easy, this would be a great choice. ( )
  VickiLN | Jan 14, 2010 |
I found the conflict and tension very enjoyable and loved how the relationship between the characters slowly developed. I kept wanting her to just let him love her the way Jesus wants us to let Him love us. But because this is a romance, the kind of love is different in this story...it's romantic. And as expected, there are some heartpounding moments that seem so real that I was pulled totally into the setting and the moment. Denise is one of the best romance writers when it comes to setting up the situation for the perfect romantic first kiss. ( )
  MichelleSutton | Oct 11, 2009 |
Sweetpea: Betrayal flips a switch you didn't know existed. Suddenly you're on guard. No one is above suspicion, no one is as honest as they seem, and it's all because of this basic truth: You're too afraid to risk it all again.
Sabrina Kincaid heard the jingle of the cafe's glass door opening and glanced at the clock above the workstation: 7:12 on the dot.

Sabrina never intended to fall in love with Tucker, the man she serves coffee to every morning at a Nantucket cafe. He asks her to help locate an elusive woman he's fallen for online... and that's one secret she doesn't want him to discover!

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,490,588 books! | Top bar: Always visible