Accidentally Demonic by Dakota Cassidy

Accidentally Demonic

by Dakota Cassidy

When mild-mannered Casey Schwartz wakes up in jail, she has no memory of how she got there. But after her sister, Wanda, bails her out, Casey has more to deal with than a foggy memory-like abrupt mood swings and fireballs shooting from her fingertips. But things really head south when a vampire shows up on her doorstep...Vampire Clayton Gunnersson is seriously hot. And seriously taken-by a demon. In a ritual gone wrong, Clayton tried to get rid of his unwanted bond, but spilled some demonic blood on Casey, getting her possessed in the process. Now, Casey has to share her body and manage to keep her growing attraction to Clayton in check, because falling for her demon's boyfriend just might get Casey killed-from the inside out.… (more)

When Casey Schwartz wakes up in jail, with no idea how she got there, she's forced to call her sister Wanda to bail her out. Having avoiding her sister for years due to shame about her job, this is not a call Casey is looking forward to making. Little does Casey know that calling Wanda for help is actually the easiest thing she will experience over the next few days. It's not long before it becomes clear that something supernatural has happened to Casey. When she starts levitating and throwing fireballs, Wanda and her friends are at an absolute loss as to what Casey could possibly be now.

Enter the unhappily mated vampire and former viking Clayton Gunnerersson. In Clay's effort to end his mating with Hildegard, he has managed to get a sample of her blood. Unfortunately, Clay accidentally spills it on Casey, turning her into a demon. Clay now has to take responsibility for his mistake and help Casey adjust to her new life.

Casey doesn't take to being a demon very well and the issues only compound when she learns that a Clay's mate is determined to kill her and if that were not enough, it seems that Casey might just have to spend an eternity in hell.

Generally speaking, I don't mind most of the characters in this series to date but I am absolutely done with Nina. Every time she appears, it's so difficult to keep reading and not simply put the book down in frustration. Nina seems constantly angry when she is not with her mate and is constantly picking arguments, making threats and swearing. In terms of the swearing, I'm not some wilting innocent who shrivels at the word fuck but reading as Nina tries to use as many versions of the word as possible becomes tiresome. If that were not enough, something about Casey's demonic nature causes her to constantly attack Nina, which leads to more if Nina's acting out and consequently most of the opening chapters of Accidentally Demonic reads like 12 year old girls snapping at each other on the playground. As a grown ass woman, I definitely could have done with that.

As a protagonist, Casey really didn't make much sense to me. When Casey learns that the reason Clay has not killed himself to end his forced mating with Hildegard is because Hildegard has control of Clay's daughter Naomi, Casey immediately goes into sacrificial mode. Here's the issue: Casey has never even met Naomi, who apparently has the mental age of 15, though she is actually centuries old. This simply doesn't make sense. How is it that Clay is actually hundreds of years old and his daughter is only 15? I don't buy the idea that Casey is sacrificing herself for a kid, nor do I accept that Casey actually sees Naomi as 15, when the supposed young woman in question has been alive for centuries. To be clear, Casey is willing to spend an eternity in hell, married to a demon she doesn't know to save Naomi. Clearly this is a woman who doesn't believe in self care.

Other than the fact that Clay is hot, what reason do we have for Casey falling in love with him? Yes, there's the woo woo reason of Casey taking on Hildegard's traits because Clay spilled Hildegarde's blood on her but it all reads like the device that it is. To be clear, from the very start of the story, Clay lied to Casey. Thanks to Clay's actions, Casey has become a demon, the letter L, which appeared on her ass is a result of Lucifer staking his claim on Casey. If that were not enough, Clay is extremely over protective and we are supposed to think that this is cute or endearing but I find it controlling and even manipulative.

As you can see, Accidentally Demonic has so much going for it. The majority of characters in this novel are female and it is therefore ironic that Accidentally Demonic is absolutely dripping in slut shaming and anti woman language. Can we please just stop calling woman sluts, whores and bitches? Would it really be so hard? It simply made me dislike these woman a lot.

The anti woman language and slut shaming is pretty noxious but even that takes second place to the outright ableism. Hildegarde killed her sister, bonded her niece to her and forced mating on Clay and so naturally, she is "crazy", a "tard" and "schizophrenic". Mental illness is constantly associated with violence, and evil in Accidentally Demonic.

Read More ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Aug 17, 2015 |
This was just okay for me. The authors writing style took a lot of getting used to and the story line dragged at times. ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Apr 17, 2015 |
Fun fluff. It reminded me of Mary Janice Davidson in a lot of ways. Irreverent, snappy dialogue, characters not taking themselves too seriously, bad situations solved in the most random of ways.

That's all the up. The downsides of all those things--it's hard to get invested in the story because it is all on the surface. The dialogue is so snappy and referential and constant that it's difficult to find the story at times. As frustrated as the main character was getting with not being told things, I was even more frustrated because the story was moving in fits and starts as she found things out, generally through an accidental overhearing or throw-away comment from another character.

The author did a good job of encapsulating the supernatural world her characters live within and didn't rely too much on vaguely referencing previous events in previous books. It was easy to get the peripheral characters confused, and I didn't see much point in the twins. A lot of the story could have been told without introducing them, particularly since that situation wasn't resolved in any satisfying way (at least for the reader). ( )
  Krumbs | Mar 31, 2013 |
Once again Dakota Cassidy has done it. This series is so hilarious. In this one we meet Casie Schwartz who is the sister of Wanda. She seems to have had an accidental run in with some demon blood and it absorbed into her system turning her into a demon. Then she meets the man who did this to her, Clayton. But he is hiding an awful lot from her and she has no idea what it could possibly be, until Hildegard keeps showing up.

Now I'm not going to spoil the book for anyone who hasn't read the book yet, but it was laugh out loud funny and all of the faves from the previous books in the series are here, Nina, Wanda, and Marty. They all try to help Casey through this strange paranormal time and of course, are as snarky as ever!

This was a wonderful addition to the accidental series and I can't wait to read more from Ms. Cassidy! ( )
  RuthiesBookReviews | Jan 14, 2011 |
Read for Fun/Listened for Review (Kindle/Tantor)
Overall Rating: 4.00
Story Rating: 3.75
Character Rating: 4.25

Audio Rating: 4.00 (not part of the overall rating)

First thought when finished: Revisiting Accidentally Demonic by Dakota Cassidy was fun. I had forgotten the epic smackdowns between Nina and Casey!

Review Circa 2010

What I LOVED: I adore that Casey was brave enough (stupid enough-same thing sometimes) to stand up to even the likes of Nina. Hildegard was a great foe, she was snarky, b*tchy, and willing to do anything to win. It took someone like Casey to stand up to her. This book fulfilled on the fun meter which is why I love this whole series. Really what I loved most is the "love" that is in the book! Not only between Casey and Clay but also between all the couples/families/friends!

What I LIKED: I really like the all 3 gals were involved in helping Casey go through adaptation to the Paranormal world. I really like how DC has made each of their journeys different. Casey actually was a somewhat pretty good sport about it and little more level-headed than the other 3 were. I also really liked Darnell. Is it to much to ask that he get his own book---I mean he is an accidental demon on his own.

Why I gave it a 4: This is just a fun series. You laugh, sometimes cry, and mostly feel all warm and gooey inside when you finish!

Who I would recommend it too: Any PNR reader and any romance lover that doesn't mind paranormal themes.

Review Audio circa 2014

Audio Thoughts

Narrated By Meredith Mitchell / Length: 10 hrs and 49 mins

Meredith's narration has really grown on me. I think she has the rhythm and sassiness of the series down pat. I have fun while listening and that is the overall nature of the series. I recommend these on audio!

Final Thoughts: This series makes me smile! It is why it is on my keeper shelf :) ( )
  thehistorychic | Jul 19, 2010 |

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,744,523 books! | Top bar: Always visible