Dead Matter by Anton Strout

Dead Matter

by Anton Strout

Deader Still by Anton Strout is the third book in the Simon Canderous series. Based in New York City, the series revolves around reformed thief Simon, trying to use his power of psychometry (the ability to learn about an object's past via touch) for good by joining the Department of Extraordinary Affairs. The DEA has been set up to protect NY citizens from the supernatural, and to hide the supernatural from ordinary beings. Simon finds his power a mixed blessing, as touching objects and people often leads to debilitating and unwanted visions. He is mentored by Connor, his supervisor at the Department of Extraordinary Affairs, and his girl friend Jane, a previous cultist.

Anton Strout has really hit his stride in Dead Matter. The writing is witty, the plot moves along briskly, and the supporting characters show more depth and personality. The plot of Dead Matter revolves around the search for Connor's brother, who disappeared as a child. Simon & Jane try to help Connor , while battling some strange monsters and lots of red tape. As usual, laugh-out-loud moments abound. Simon's world is intriguing and beautifully described. Great fun. ( )
  cmwilson101 | Apr 3, 2011 |
Pros: Although this is the third book in the series, you can pick it up and read it without feeling like background information is missing.

Cons:Waiting for the next book to see how some of the long term effects of this book's events play out.

Review book courtesy of Penguin Group

Simon Canderous is drowning in a pile of paperwork. His partner and mentor Connor Christos is taking five years worth of saved vacation time, leaving Simon to handle both their caseloads at the Department of Extraordinary Affairs in New York City. It's no secret what Connor's probably up to; trying to figure out what has happened to his long-lost brother. When Connor's obsessive digging stirs up old ghosts (literally) Simon steps in to try and help. Connor seems to have gone crazy, but Simon can't help but wonder if he hasn't...

I was a little nervous about picking up another series from a later book, but Anton Strout left me pleasantly surprised. As I dove into the story, I didn't feel as if I was missing any large chunks of background or information. References to earlier novels are brief with the necessary details included. I felt as if I was able to just step into Simon's world and let it enfold me.

The magic system isn't discussed in heavy detail either, but that strategy actually works because the powers that characters have aren't the focus of the story. That actually made Simon's world feel more real to me, because it is easier to wrap one's head around individual magical powers as opposed to a one size fits all magical ability in the modern world that people could access. It's a wonderful means of developing individual characters, as Simon's ability to see the history of an object by touching it works in wonderful contrast to his girlfriend's ability to manipulate electricity and electronics. (I would totally love my own personal power of some sort!)

The other thing that I really enjoyed was that Simon doesn't eschew other people. He's got a girlfriend, he gets on well with his partner, and he has a good relationship with his boss. Compared to some other urban fantasy heroes, he's socially well-adjusted. It made Simon easier to relate to, because although his social circle isn't huge it is fairly warm. That being said, it's amusing to watch him thread his way through the paper-driven bureaucracy side of his job. The contrast between Simon's instincts to act and the mountain of paperwork he has to deal with make for interesting choices during action scenes, just to save filling out and filing three more forms in triplicate. It's a nice balance to the paranormal elements.

I also loved the fact that as I progressed deeper and deeper into the story's plot, the central conflict kept revealing more and more layers that would make me go back and rethink everything that happened so far. It kept me involved and trying to figure everything out, without making it so easy that I was able to figure it out. Actually, I was very happy to be wrong about my theories, because it led to a very satisfying ending. I have to say, though, that I hope Mr. Strout gives us an idea in the later books about how the ripples caused by this ending play out in the long term. There are plenty of fascinating ways that it could ultimately turn out.

This book is an emotional thrill ride, but it didn't throw me around so much that I came out of the book feeling battered. Instead, I felt satisfied and rewarded seeing things turn out fairly well, with the major characters if not happy at least satisfied. The plot kept me not only guessing, but interested enough to rethink things that had happened earlier in the book. For me, that degree of interest is fairly unusual, but each new layer had me wanting to find out what little clues I had missed in previous chapters. The magic system is wonderfully simple and easy to slip into, and it's a joy to ride around in Simon's head for a while. Even though I'm pretty new to urban fantasy, if books like this are what the genre has to offer then I see another section of the bookstore that I'll be spending too much money in! ( )
  ReneBlock | Oct 20, 2010 |

Shaking up the spirits of Manhattan

The spirit populace of Manhattan doesn't appreciate its well-deserved RIP being disturbed, and Department of Extraordinary Affairs Agent Simon Canderous is sent in to do damage control. Meanwhile, his vacationing partner, Connor Christos, is in a sorry state, and he tells Simon that each night he's being haunted by visions of his long-lost brother at his window. Simon is worried that his partner may be going crazy-or worse, maybe he's not...

The spirit populace of Manhattan doesn't appreciate its well-deserved RIP being disturbed, and Department of Extraordinary Affairs Agent Simon Canderous is sent in to do damage control. Meanwhile, his vacationing partner, Connor Christos, is in a sorry state, and he tells Simon that each night he's being haunted by visions of his long-lost brother at his window. Simon is worried that his partner may be going crazy--or worse, maybe he's not.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,265,791 books! | Top bar: Always visible