dismiss

Clementine (2006)

by Sara Pennypacker

Series: Clementine (1)

While sorting through difficulties in her friendship with her neighbor Margaret, eight-year-old Clementine gains several unique hairstyles while also helping her father in his efforts to banish pigeons from the front of their apartment building.

English (152)  German (1)  All languages (153)
I read this aloud to my kids. It was a quick read (three nights total). We enjoyed Clementine's antics and the plays on words and youthful misunderstandings. I loved her solution the pigeon problem, even though I find it unlikely that her father wouldn't have picked up on the problem to begin with. My children loved the vegetable names she gave her brother.

The ending was perhaps a little too happy for me, but my kids liked it. I prefer the more nuanced endings of Beverly Cleary's books. They prepare children better for the mixed blessings of real life.
  ImperfectCJ | Jun 28, 2020 |
Recommended for kids or for read-aloud with their parents. Very funny book about the trials and travails of third-grader Clementine and her maybe-best friend Margaret and their hair and the pigeons on their building. Similar vein as Ivy and Bean. ( )
  adaq | Dec 25, 2019 |
Elementary
  SteppLibrary | May 17, 2019 |
A fun read that comes in series that shows the humor in dramatic situations of a Clementine's life.
  Rachael_Dorsch | Dec 11, 2018 |
Oh my darling Clementine!!!! This was SUCH a GREAT juvenile book. I laughed so hard a few times I almost wet my pants.
I can't wait to read the rest of these books!!!!! ( )
  cubsfan3410 | Sep 1, 2018 |

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

For Bill, Clementine's father in every way. -- S.P.

To my big brother, Mark Frazee, who thinks I'm an idiot -- M.F.
I have had not so good of a week.
"I was the only person in the whole art room who WAS paying attention. Which is why I could tell everyone right in the middle of the Pledge of Allegiance that the lunchroom lady was sitting in the janitor's car and they were kissing. Again. No one else saw this disgusting scene, because no one else was paying attention out the window!"

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,060,144 books! | Top bar: Always visible