Lockdown: Escape from Furnace 2 by Alexander…

Lockdown: Escape from Furnace 2 (edition 2009)

by Alexander Gordon Smith

Member:SmangosBubbles
Title:Lockdown: Escape from Furnace 2
Authors:Alexander Gordon Smith
Info:Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (2009), Hardcover, 288 pages
Collections:No longer own
Rating:**1/2
Tags:fiction, horror, prison, young adult

Lockdown: Escape from Furnace 1 by Alexander Gordon Smith

Recently added bydingesa27, Hessius, Dylvi, private library, RobertPop, huskynewbooks, BreeLJ, KaitlynC24, MrBirge

English (54)  Italian (1)  All (55)
“Beneath heaven is hell ~ Beneath hell is Furnace”

I absolutely loved this book; it was horrifyingly thrilling and intense all the way through, with plenty of teamwork..! After I finished it I couldn’t stop thinking about it, the characters and what happened to them throughout the many chapters..! Alexander Gordon Smith has such a way with words that the reader gets sucked into the story, feeling every emotion and will want to know:

“What will happen next?!”

I admit that question often came to my mind, and I was eager to move onto the next scene. I really liked the main, he didn’t annoy me one bit. Alex insists he’s not a good person, but yes, there’s something about his character that makes him a good person in my opinion. So many people make mistakes, are influenced by those around them. But he learns to accept his flaws as they are, and learns from his mistakes to better himself. He gets a person to think, and had a way at drawing other boys who were locked in Furnace to him. He gives them hope and even gives them something to smile about ~ Even in the pits of Furnace!!

“You don't have friends in here, you'll soon come to understand that. You get attached to someone, then you'll just lose them. They'll get shanked or they'll jump or they'll be taken one night.”

That was a quote that stuck in my mind. It was put up as a natural barrier to keep a person’s emotions in check. To make sure they don’t get hurt further, when those closest to them are pulled away. As soon as Alex came into the picture, that barrier was thrown to the wayside for Donavan, as much as he tried to resist. Alex would follow him around from the very beginning like a lost puppy. Yes, he was reckless, and Donavan wished he wasn’t his roommate. But an undeniable friendship was formed between the two of them.

“I’ve decided to escape!

Oh gosh, escape?! That’s crazy, this is Furnace! Oh wait, he’s crazy enough that he might just pull this off O_O;; *Sneakily follows!*”

I really feel this book has everything you could possibly want, and more!! If you love intenseness, and teamwork, then this is definitely a story I’d recommend! And I can’t wait to find out what’ll happen next :D!!
  Dylvi | Dec 4, 2016 |
Interesting story, but didn't love the writing. ( )
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |
Lockdown, the first book in the Escape from Furnace series was a fast-exciting novel grabbing the reader right from the start and never letting go until the very end. Alex is a typical bully who escalates into a thief. During his last robbery his best friend is killed by strange men in black, some with odd looking masks on their faces. Alex is framed for his friend's death and is thrown into a prison for violent young offenders called Furnace. What a great beginning for a series of books. Reminds me a little of the television show, Prison Break, as well as the book series, I Am Number Four. ( )
  Mrslabraden | May 31, 2016 |
I flew through this book...started and finished within 24 hours. It's a fast paced and completely gripping story about a boy named Alex who gets framed for murder and sent to Furnace, an underground prison. A prison that is filled with horrible creatures and no way of escaping, that is until Alex plans a grand scheme to do just that. It reminded me a bit of the prison scenes in The Chronicles of Riddick. ( )
  Tabatha014 | May 6, 2016 |
This is pure teen boy bait - gruesome, violent, and scary, with absolutely no girls. I think it's also pretty purely YA; there's not a lot of there there, and not a lot to recommend it other than the creep factor. ( )
  jen.e.moore | Feb 14, 2016 |
Beneath heaven is hell. Beneath hell is Furnace.
For our little one, and all the other lost children. Always remembered. Always loved. Always free.
If I stopped running I was dead.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312611935, Paperback)

Furnace Penitentiary: the world’s most secure prison for young offenders, buried a mile beneath the earth’s surface. Convicted of a murder he didn’t commit, sentenced to life without parole, “new fish” Alex Sawyer knows he has two choices: find a way out, or resign himself to a death behind bars, in the darkness at the bottom of the world. Except in Furnace, death is the least of his worries. Soon Alex discovers that the prison is a place of pure evil, where inhuman creatures in gas masks stalk the corridors at night, where giants in black suits drag screaming inmates into the shadows, where deformed beasts can be heard howling from the blood-drenched tunnels below. And behind everything is the mysterious, all-powerful warden, a man as cruel and dangerous as the devil himself, whose unthinkable acts have consequences that stretch far beyond the walls of the prison.

Together with a bunch of inmates—some innocent kids who have been framed, others cold-blooded killers—Alex plans an escape. But as he starts to uncover the truth about Furnace’s deeper, darker purpose, Alex’s actions grow ever more dangerous, and he must risk everything to expose this nightmare that’s hidden from the eyes of the world.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:35 -0400)

When fourteen-year-old Alex is framed for murder, he becomes an inmate in the Furnace Penitentiary, where brutal inmates and sadistic guards reign, boys who disappear in the middle of the night sometimes return weirdly altered, and escape might just be possible.… (more)

41 wanted3 pay6 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,751,337 books! | Top bar: Always visible