Lockdown: Escape from Furnace 2 by Alexander…

Lockdown: Escape from Furnace 2 (edition 2009)

by Alexander Gordon Smith

Title:Lockdown: Escape from Furnace 2
Authors:Alexander Gordon Smith
Info:Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (2009), Hardcover, 288 pages
Collections:No longer own
Tags:fiction, horror, prison, young adult

Lockdown: Escape from Furnace 1 by Alexander Gordon Smith

English (48)  Italian (1)  All languages (49)
“Beneath heaven is hell ~ Beneath hell is Furnace”

I absolutely loved this book; it was horrifyingly thrilling and intense all the way through, with plenty of teamwork..! After I finished it I couldn’t stop thinking about it, the characters and what happened to them throughout the many chapters..! Alexander Gordon Smith has such a way with words that the reader gets sucked into the story, feeling every emotion and will want to know:

“What will happen next?!”

I admit that question often came to my mind, and I was eager to move onto the next scene. I really liked the main, he didn’t annoy me one bit. Alex insists he’s not a good person, but yes, there’s something about his character that makes him a good person in my opinion. So many people make mistakes, are influenced by those around them. But he learns to accept his flaws as they are, and learns from his mistakes to better himself. He gets a person to think, and had a way at drawing other boys who were locked in Furnace to him. He gives them hope and even gives them something to smile about ~ Even in the pits of Furnace!!

“You don't have friends in here, you'll soon come to understand that. You get attached to someone, then you'll just lose them. They'll get shanked or they'll jump or they'll be taken one night.”

That was a quote that stuck in my mind. It was put up as a natural barrier to keep a person’s emotions in check. To make sure they don’t get hurt further, when those closest to them are pulled away. As soon as Alex came into the picture, that barrier was thrown to the wayside for Donavan, as much as he tried to resist. Alex would follow him around from the very beginning like a lost puppy. Yes, he was reckless, and Donavan wished he wasn’t his roommate. But an undeniable friendship was formed between the two of them.

“I’ve decided to escape!

Oh gosh, escape?! That’s crazy, this is Furnace! Oh wait, he’s crazy enough that he might just pull this off O_O;; *Sneakily follows!*”

I really feel this book has everything you could possibly want, and more!! If you love intenseness, and teamwork, then this is definitely a story I’d recommend! And I can’t wait to find out what’ll happen next :D!!
  Zarien | Nov 26, 2015 |
Fast paced and bloody brilliant.

“Don't go looking for snakes, you might find them..
Don't send your eyes to the sun, you might blind them,
Haven't I seen you here before?
There ain't no heroes here....”

This is a shit-meet-fan kind of book. There are no sugary bits glossing over events because of the main character's age. It's actually adds to the horror, when you are forced to see kids as adults and surviving trough ordeals you are certain most adults wouldn't survive trough.

It has it all. Underground prison from hell, gangs and turf war. Fights, murder, mad science experiments and a band of unlikely friends.

I have been reading quite a lot of dystopia lately and can safely say that I still have the taste for it. I like the fact that it's a rich genre. This particular spin is very engaging, it doesn't leave you with two minutes to catch your breath. It keeps you on your toes all the time. It's not something for the fans of insta justice, and evil vs. good.

This book will give you chills....

IvieHill | Aug 6, 2015 |
Sounds bizarre right? It is. Lockdown is a whole other world of evil. Think of the depths of hell and the evil that must brew close to the center of the earth... then multiple it. That is Furnace Penitentiary. Smith created a world so evil the Devil would be scared. His depiction of Furnace is chilling- while reading, I could picture this horrible place in my mind as I traveled along side Alex as he sunk below the earths surface and entered a nightmare. Not your typical jail story, the reader learns early on that the workers from Furnace are not there to protect you- they are there to fill beds. Guilty or not, the kids who end up in Furnace are in for the worst nightmare imaginable, because in Furnace, everyone is guilty of their crimes. Unimaginable monsters are woven into the story in the form of gangs, mutant animals, and gas mask clad creatures. Everyone must fight to survive- and hope they make it through the night.
I must say that this was a bit slow in the beginning- although it was necessary. We need a back story for Alex to understand who he is and why he ends up at Furnace. Once we get to Furnace though, things move quickly. The story picks up some serious momentum and I plowed through. Smith created such disturbing pictures in my head that I swear it was real. Smith laid a foundation of fear as he described Furnace Penitentiary and described the underbelly of the earth. The monstrous dogs that come for the inmates was a vivid image in my mind thanks to beautifully wicked descriptions. The evil gas masked creatures that mark the cells in the middle of the night were haunting- I could hear their screams in my head. Overall, Smith did a mind blowing amount of description without slowing his pace or losing his readers. The minute details that he wove into the story created such an ugly picture. I was amazed. The characters were not as developed but it almost didn't matter- he gave us enough to get attached and feel for Alex, Donovan, and Zee. Other players in the story were also memorable, even without huge back stories.
I was greatly impressed with the writing in Lockdown and as so pleased to have found Alexander Gordon Smith. His writing is disturbingly wicked and quite memorizing I will absolutely read the next one in this series: Solitary and certainly finish this series- there are five books in all. I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a creepy action filled tale. ( )
  littlebirdreads | Feb 10, 2015 |
I enjoyed reading this story. I kept thinking about it during the moments of the day when I wasn't actually reading it. I was completely intrigued.

That being said, I hesitate to recommend this to my 12-year-old. I think it's definitely fine for an older youth, say 9th-12th grade.... But it was definitely too graphically violent for my middle-schooler. I think she'll like it in a few years. ( )
  trayceetee | Nov 15, 2014 |
The book I read was called LOCKDOWN by Alexander Smith. This book was about a boy named Alex Sawyer. He is getting blamed for killing his friend but really the "black suits" are the ones that did it. Alex was denying that he did not kill his friend but the blood was on his hands when it happended. Alex Sawyer was eventually thrown into prison that was called "the furnace". When Alex arrived at "the furnace" he met his new cell mate
named Donavan along with another kid named Zee. Later on in the book Alex met this kid named Toby and they together made an escape plan to get out of "the furnace". Before they were going to escape their friend named Donavan had been taken by weazers. Weazers are poeple who have masks sewn onto their faces and they turn people into dogs and "black suits". At the end of the story they finally escape from the furnace. ( )
  JoSc14 | Nov 4, 2014 |
Beneath heaven is hell. Beneath hell is Furnace.
For our little one, and all the other lost children. Always remembered. Always loved. Always free.
If I stopped running I was dead.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312611935, Paperback)

Furnace Penitentiary: the world’s most secure prison for young offenders, buried a mile beneath the earth’s surface. Convicted of a murder he didn’t commit, sentenced to life without parole, “new fish” Alex Sawyer knows he has two choices: find a way out, or resign himself to a death behind bars, in the darkness at the bottom of the world. Except in Furnace, death is the least of his worries. Soon Alex discovers that the prison is a place of pure evil, where inhuman creatures in gas masks stalk the corridors at night, where giants in black suits drag screaming inmates into the shadows, where deformed beasts can be heard howling from the blood-drenched tunnels below. And behind everything is the mysterious, all-powerful warden, a man as cruel and dangerous as the devil himself, whose unthinkable acts have consequences that stretch far beyond the walls of the prison.

Together with a bunch of inmates—some innocent kids who have been framed, others cold-blooded killers—Alex plans an escape. But as he starts to uncover the truth about Furnace’s deeper, darker purpose, Alex’s actions grow ever more dangerous, and he must risk everything to expose this nightmare that’s hidden from the eyes of the world.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:35 -0400)

When fourteen-year-old Alex is framed for murder, he becomes an inmate in the Furnace Penitentiary, where brutal inmates and sadistic guards reign, boys who disappear in the middle of the night sometimes return weirdly altered, and escape might just be possible.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,862,067 books! | Top bar: Always visible