Lockdown: Escape from Furnace 1 by Alexander…

Lockdown: Escape from Furnace 1 (edition 2010)

by Alexander Gordon Smith

Member:agrudzien
Title:Lockdown: Escape from Furnace 1
Authors:Alexander Gordon Smith
Info:Square Fish (2010), Edition: 1, Paperback, 304 pages
Collections:YA
Tags:YA, Abe 13, Lexile 1000s, (1010), fantasy, gory, boys

Lockdown: Escape from Furnace 1 by Alexander Gordon Smith

English (47)  Italian (1)  All languages (48)
I enjoyed reading this story. I kept thinking about it during the moments of the day when I wasn't actually reading it. I was completely intrigued.

That being said, I hesitate to recommend this to my 12-year-old. I think it's definitely fine for an older youth, say 9th-12th grade.... But it was definitely too graphically violent for my middle-schooler. I think she'll like it in a few years. ( )
  trayceetee | Nov 15, 2014 |
The book I read was called LOCKDOWN by Alexander Smith. This book was about a boy named Alex Sawyer. He is getting blamed for killing his friend but really the "black suits" are the ones that did it. Alex was denying that he did not kill his friend but the blood was on his hands when it happended. Alex Sawyer was eventually thrown into prison that was called "the furnace". When Alex arrived at "the furnace" he met his new cell mate
named Donavan along with another kid named Zee. Later on in the book Alex met this kid named Toby and they together made an escape plan to get out of "the furnace". Before they were going to escape their friend named Donavan had been taken by weazers. Weazers are poeple who have masks sewn onto their faces and they turn people into dogs and "black suits". At the end of the story they finally escape from the furnace. ( )
  JoSc14 | Nov 4, 2014 |
An easy YA action book.

All the evidence is against Alex Sawyer. The jury found him guilty for killing his friend Toby and they throw him in prison. But even as Alex swears he didn't do it, he has to adapt to this prison called Furnace. Which is basically hell on earth. It's where gangs rule and lifting your eyes is a sign of rebellion. But that's only in the "day". At night comes something worse with strange blacksuits and mutated dogs. Is escape even thinkable?

The style reminds me a little of Anthony Horwitz's Alex Rider series, even though the plot is completely different. Something about the insane escapes, basically all male perspective, (excessive?) action, and the writing style (short and to the point). And, ha even their names are the same!

It's a little too out-there to be truly scary.

I didn't quite believe Donovan's character as Jekyll and Hyde. He was too friendly to even appear to give off a mean facade. I almost wish we got to see him beat another kid up to deserve the respect he seemed to have in the book.

The book was interesting because it explored the Furnace at a good pace. Not too slow to make it boring, but just enough for the reader to appreciate all of the prison's horrors.

The first person perspective did the book justice. We got to see everything through Alex's eyes and it worked. No awkwardness or strange mind-jumping.

Obviously the escape is a bit ridiculous, but hey, artistic license, right?

Three stars. Fairly standard action book. Quick and easy read just for fun.
Would recommend if you liked the Alex Rider series or a lot of easy action with no romantic interest.

Note: I didn't like the future books (not even book 2) because after the initial interest in the world wore off, I found plotlines to be a little too contrived and too much blatant reader manipulation to enjoy the book anymore. But the first book is decent as a standalone, sort of. ( )
  NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |
An easy YA action book.

It's a little too out-there to be truly scary.

Obviously the escape is a bit ridiculous, but hey, artistic license, right?

Three stars. Fairly standard action book. Quick and easy read just for fun.

NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |

**No spoilers.

Well, that was a good time. For me, anyway. Not for Alex, the MC. Dude inadvertently landed himself in the WORST PRISON IN THE HISTORY OF PRISONS. Seriously. Sign me up for death if my only other option is to go into Furnace.

With a name like Furnace and with its description of being buried 1 mile beneath the earth’s surface, my mind immediately went to “hell”. While Furnace is a hellish place, it’s not hell. It’s more like a fucked up science project funhouse gone awry. It’s fucking cray cray. The conditions of the place, the disgustingly putrid slop they have to eat, the daily beatings/humiliations at the hands of other inmates, and the backbreaking work they have to do is enough to make you welcome death. Oh, but there’s more.

As the synopsis says, inhuman creatures in gas masks stalk the corridors at night. YEAH. Whatever that crazy shit means. And the guards? They wear suits. Like, WTF. I didn’t even have time to ponder all of this, because the intensity of the story had me riveted. The visuals alone were enough to give me the creeps and Smith did a great job making this place come to life. I have my own version of Furnace planted firmly in my mind. The place is dirty, dank, gritty, and terrifying. There was never a time that I couldn’t visualize what I was reading, which really made for a heightened reading experience.

Only one thing prevented me from rating this five stars – Alex. I found Alex likable, but he continuously made TSTL mistake after TSTL mistake. Even when his friends would yell at him and say “Alex, don’t!”, Alex would. Over and over. I still rooted for him, but he pissed me off with his behavior. It's important to remember that he's only 14. It was easy to forget that while reading, because the book is so brutal and dark. Typically, a TSTL MC is a deal breaker for me. In this case, the story, the setting, the other characters and the intensity of my beating heart through most of it were able to offset my misgivings.

Lastly, look at that cover. Stuff of nightmares, I tell you.

WARNING: This book ends on a brutal cliffhanger, so try to have the sequel on hand, lest your brain explode.

I have other book-reading obligations scheduled for today, but... **eyes sequel.

For more of my reviews, visit my blog:

JennyJen | Aug 14, 2014 |
Beneath heaven is hell. Beneath hell is Furnace.
For our little one, and all the other lost children. Always remembered. Always loved. Always free.
If I stopped running I was dead.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312611935, Paperback)

Furnace Penitentiary: the world’s most secure prison for young offenders, buried a mile beneath the earth’s surface. Convicted of a murder he didn’t commit, sentenced to life without parole, “new fish” Alex Sawyer knows he has two choices: find a way out, or resign himself to a death behind bars, in the darkness at the bottom of the world. Except in Furnace, death is the least of his worries. Soon Alex discovers that the prison is a place of pure evil, where inhuman creatures in gas masks stalk the corridors at night, where giants in black suits drag screaming inmates into the shadows, where deformed beasts can be heard howling from the blood-drenched tunnels below. And behind everything is the mysterious, all-powerful warden, a man as cruel and dangerous as the devil himself, whose unthinkable acts have consequences that stretch far beyond the walls of the prison.

Together with a bunch of inmates—some innocent kids who have been framed, others cold-blooded killers—Alex plans an escape. But as he starts to uncover the truth about Furnace’s deeper, darker purpose, Alex’s actions grow ever more dangerous, and he must risk everything to expose this nightmare that’s hidden from the eyes of the world.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:13 -0400)

When fourteen-year-old Alex is framed for murder, he becomes an inmate in the Furnace Penitentiary, where brutal inmates and sadistic guards reign, boys who disappear in the middle of the night sometimes return weirdly altered, and escape might just be possible.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,434,225 books! | Top bar: Always visible