Lockdown: Escape from Furnace 1 by Alexander…

Lockdown: Escape from Furnace 1 (edition 2010)

by Alexander Gordon Smith

Member:agrudzien
Title:Lockdown: Escape from Furnace 1
Authors:Alexander Gordon Smith
Info:Square Fish (2010), Edition: 1, Paperback, 304 pages
Collections:YA
Tags:YA, Abe 13, Lexile 1000s, (1010), fantasy, gory, boys

Lockdown: Escape from Furnace 1 by Alexander Gordon Smith

English (51)  Italian (1)  All languages (52)
This is pure teen boy bait - gruesome, violent, and scary, with absolutely no girls. I think it's also pretty purely YA; there's not a lot of there there, and not a lot to recommend it other than the creep factor. ( )
  jen.e.moore | Feb 14, 2016 |
This is the first book in the "Escape from Furnace" series and it is great! Action-packed, fast-paced and quite brutal at times I raced to the finish. Furnace is a maximum security prison for young offenders ruled by black coats, dogs and wheezers. Alex Sawyer is the narrator and is a newbie to Furnace. even though he is an extremely likeable protagonist, my favorite character has to be Donovan. Donovan has been imprisoned for a number years and is Alex's cell mate and close friend. I love the dry humour Donovan shows regardless of the situation, and although he has a tough, hard exterior, he proves to be a loyal friend and a real softie on the inside. The last page of "Lockdown" is a cliff-hanger and I can't wait to see what happens next. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 23, 2016 |
  lkmuir | Dec 9, 2015 |
“Beneath heaven is hell ~ Beneath hell is Furnace”

I absolutely loved this book; it was horrifyingly thrilling and intense all the way through, with plenty of teamwork..! After I finished it I couldn’t stop thinking about it, the characters and what happened to them throughout the many chapters..! Alexander Gordon Smith has such a way with words that the reader gets sucked into the story, feeling every emotion and will want to know:

“What will happen next?!”

I admit that question often came to my mind, and I was eager to move onto the next scene. I really liked the main, he didn’t annoy me one bit. Alex insists he’s not a good person, but yes, there’s something about his character that makes him a good person in my opinion. So many people make mistakes, are influenced by those around them. But he learns to accept his flaws as they are, and learns from his mistakes to better himself. He gets a person to think, and had a way at drawing other boys who were locked in Furnace to him. He gives them hope and even gives them something to smile about ~ Even in the pits of Furnace!!

“You don't have friends in here, you'll soon come to understand that. You get attached to someone, then you'll just lose them. They'll get shanked or they'll jump or they'll be taken one night.”

That was a quote that stuck in my mind. It was put up as a natural barrier to keep a person’s emotions in check. To make sure they don’t get hurt further, when those closest to them are pulled away. As soon as Alex came into the picture, that barrier was thrown to the wayside for Donavan, as much as he tried to resist. Alex would follow him around from the very beginning like a lost puppy. Yes, he was reckless, and Donavan wished he wasn’t his roommate. But an undeniable friendship was formed between the two of them.

“I’ve decided to escape!

Oh gosh, escape?! That’s crazy, this is Furnace! Oh wait, he’s crazy enough that he might just pull this off O_O;; *Sneakily follows!*”

I really feel this book has everything you could possibly want, and more!! If you love intenseness, and teamwork, then this is definitely a story I’d recommend! And I can’t wait to find out what’ll happen next :D!!
  Zarien | Nov 26, 2015 |
Fast paced and bloody brilliant.

“Don't go looking for snakes, you might find them..
Don't send your eyes to the sun, you might blind them,
Haven't I seen you here before?
There ain't no heroes here....”

This is a shit-meet-fan kind of book. There are no sugary bits glossing over events because of the main character's age. It's actually adds to the horror, when you are forced to see kids as adults and surviving trough ordeals you are certain most adults wouldn't survive trough.

It has it all. Underground prison from hell, gangs and turf war. Fights, murder, mad science experiments and a band of unlikely friends.

I have been reading quite a lot of dystopia lately and can safely say that I still have the taste for it. I like the fact that it's a rich genre. This particular spin is very engaging, it doesn't leave you with two minutes to catch your breath. It keeps you on your toes all the time. It's not something for the fans of insta justice, and evil vs. good.

This book will give you chills....

IvieHill | Aug 6, 2015 |
Beneath heaven is hell. Beneath hell is Furnace.
For our little one, and all the other lost children. Always remembered. Always loved. Always free.
If I stopped running I was dead.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312611935, Paperback)

Furnace Penitentiary: the world’s most secure prison for young offenders, buried a mile beneath the earth’s surface. Convicted of a murder he didn’t commit, sentenced to life without parole, “new fish” Alex Sawyer knows he has two choices: find a way out, or resign himself to a death behind bars, in the darkness at the bottom of the world. Except in Furnace, death is the least of his worries. Soon Alex discovers that the prison is a place of pure evil, where inhuman creatures in gas masks stalk the corridors at night, where giants in black suits drag screaming inmates into the shadows, where deformed beasts can be heard howling from the blood-drenched tunnels below. And behind everything is the mysterious, all-powerful warden, a man as cruel and dangerous as the devil himself, whose unthinkable acts have consequences that stretch far beyond the walls of the prison.

Together with a bunch of inmates—some innocent kids who have been framed, others cold-blooded killers—Alex plans an escape. But as he starts to uncover the truth about Furnace’s deeper, darker purpose, Alex’s actions grow ever more dangerous, and he must risk everything to expose this nightmare that’s hidden from the eyes of the world.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:35 -0400)

When fourteen-year-old Alex is framed for murder, he becomes an inmate in the Furnace Penitentiary, where brutal inmates and sadistic guards reign, boys who disappear in the middle of the night sometimes return weirdly altered, and escape might just be possible.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,353,842 books! | Top bar: Always visible