A Second Helping: A Blessings Novel by…

A Second Helping: A Blessings Novel (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Beverly Jenkins

Member:tututhefirst
Title:A Second Helping: A Blessings Novel
Authors:Beverly Jenkins
Info:
Collections:To read, summer
Tags:CZ, CYD

A Second Helping: A Blessings Novel by Beverly Jenkins (2010)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
It took me a while to figure out this book - did not read book 1. Also did not realize it was an African-American town - a bit unrealistic.
  shazjhb | Dec 25, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Book 2 in the Blessings series continues the lives of the folks who live in Henry Adams, a small African American town in Kansas. It would have been helpful to read Book 1 first (Bring on the Blessings) because it took me awhile to figure out who the characters were.
This is an entertaining, gentle read with a little bit of humor, romance, and mystery. ( )
  lrobe190 | Apr 25, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I also got this book as an Early Reviewer, and although I am not particularly early with this review, it in no way is because I didn't like the book! On the contrary, my life has been wild, and it took awhile to get to it!
As for A Second Helping, I read this knowing that I was reading a second in a series (hopefully) and wanted to see how that went--without having read the first. No problem! Enough background information was gleaned relatively early on so that (like the Alexander McCall Smith series of Number 1 Ladies Detective Agency, or like Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe's series), I was sufficiently clued in along the way to follow the story intelligently.
While it does seem far-fetched that each of the 5 foster children is an EXCEPTIONAL child in his/her own area (musical genius, scientific/math genius, full-blown orator, intuitive counselor, and all-around visionary), I took this in stride. While it does seem a bit far-fetched that so many coincidences happen providentially, and that when one person is finally free to remarry, along comes the one person in high school who he/she always loved--now free to marry as well, I took this in stride as well. This is a feel-good read, and it celebrates romance, community, morality, good-hearts, life-long growth in all areas of life, African-American heritage, and family. As it all takes place in a small town, I was rather put in mind of that other series by Jan Karon, the Mitford town series. People do things for the right reasons, children learn good lessons from the adults in their lives, the townspeople pull together in hard times and celebrate good tidings with appropriate outpourings of joy, etc. It wouldn't be a good story if their wasn't a snake in such a Paridise, and so snakes come, and are defeated.
Therefore, get your cozy quilt, find your comfortable reading chair, have your honeyed tea at the ready, and snuggle down for a good read here. I ran out and bought the first book in this series by Beverly Jenkins--and I indend to read it now, and savor every warm fuzzy! ENJOY!
  augustdreams | Apr 9, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book is the continuation of the tale of Henry Adams, Kansas which had been purchased by Bernadine Brown off of EBay. The characters are rich and invite the reader into a place that they are endeavoring to improve with Ms. Brown's help. They have built a school which they name after the current teacher of 40 years, they support emotionally and mentally the five children that they have "adopted" into their town and their hearts, and they have shown that even while their town is being transformed, their lives can be as well.

This book which I won on the Librarything ER program is the continuation of a story started in a book titled BRING ON THE BLESSINGS. Bernadine Brown has divorced her philandering husband and had received a $275 Million divorce settlement which she promptly used to purchase the town of Henry Adams, Kansas off of EBay. The idea is intriguing and I (as an EBay buyer) got caught up in the story - hook, line and sinker. I am definitely going to be looking for the first book. Since this version was a Uncorrected proof I didn't hold the numerous printing errors against the story being told. But it definitely need a good proofreader - not just a spellchecker. ( )
  cyderry | Mar 27, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Bernadine Brown has recently been divorced and she received lots of money from her husband in the settlement. She is looking for a new beginning and decides to purchase a town experiencing financial problems, Henry Adams, on eBay. She has lots going on...an ex-husband who decides to make an appearance, a new romance, and several foster children to watch out for. She is also opening a new school and welcoming the new schoolteacher and his son. The kids are also planning a parade which gets a bit out of control, but all is worked out in the end.

I also won this book in the Early Reviewers program. It is not a book I would normally pick up. I found it rather slow and had a hard time getting into it. It is a nice story with a lot of interesting characters...just not my thing! ( )
1 vote julyso | Mar 20, 2010 |

"On the heels of Bring on the Blessings, bestselling author Beverly Jenkins gives readers a second helping of the beautiful Kansas town of Henry Adams, and the residents who make it so unique"--Provided by publisher.

10 wanted1 pay1 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

A Second Helping by Beverly Jenkins was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,406,473 books! | Top bar: Always visible