A Second Helping: A Blessings Novel by…

A Second Helping: A Blessings Novel (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Beverly Jenkins

Member:tututhefirst
Title:A Second Helping: A Blessings Novel
Authors:Beverly Jenkins
Info:Avon A (2010), Edition: Original, Paperback, 400 pages
Collections:To read, summer
Tags:CZ, CYD

A Second Helping: A Blessings Novel by Beverly Jenkins (2010)

We’re back in Henry Adams, Kansas, the historically Black town that was purchased by Ms. Bernadine Brown … and she remains very much the Queen Bee, assisted by elected mayor Trent July and his lady love Lily Fontaine, administrative assistant par excellence. This is the second book in this marvelous series and, because I’m reading the books out of order, things can get confusing.

The new arrivals in town are newly widowed school teacher, Jack James, and his angry teenage son Eli; Leo Brown, Bernadine’s estranged husband, who want to reconcile with her (fat chance!); and a shadowy stranger Otis Miller aka Ray Chambers. It’s easy to see he’s up to no good. Ms. Rocky Dancer, cook at the Dog and Cow diner returns to town after a brief fling at marriage. All the newcomers and Rocky bring their own dramas, which all play out in A Second Helping. For comic relief we have former Mayor Riley Curry and his pet pig Cletus, who’s wanted for killing a particularly character in book #1.

A Second Helping is capped off by an August First parade, the brain child of Amari, who’s aided and abetted by Preston; they’re two of the town’s foster kids. It’s a community service project that has all the earmarks of a disaster in the making. Have no fear, however, the adults are in charge in Henry Adams, and all will be well. That’s one of the joys of these marvelous books, which are recent additions to my list of favorites.

All the books are very easy reads, and most I start and finish the same day. That means the stories are compelling, but also that they’re over too soon. ( )
  NewsieQ | Aug 13, 2015 |
Life in the town of Henry Adams is many things but dull isn’t one of them. For a small town, there is a lot happening: romantic encounters, foster kids wanting to be adopted, a widower trying to connect with his own unhappy son, and a fugitive from the law, on the run with a couple of enormous pigs. And this barely scratches the surface! But if you want the real scoop, you need to hie yourself down to the Dog and Cow diner. It’s the real deal for up-to-date info. This novel, too, is many things: entertaining, thought-provoking, amusing, and well-written, but mostly, it is just a very good story told in a very good fashion. ( )
  Maydacat | Feb 16, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
It took me a while to figure out this book - did not read book 1. Also did not realize it was an African-American town - a bit unrealistic.
  shazjhb | Dec 25, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Book 2 in the Blessings series continues the lives of the folks who live in Henry Adams, a small African American town in Kansas. It would have been helpful to read Book 1 first (Bring on the Blessings) because it took me awhile to figure out who the characters were.
This is an entertaining, gentle read with a little bit of humor, romance, and mystery. ( )
  lrobe190 | Apr 25, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I also got this book as an Early Reviewer, and although I am not particularly early with this review, it in no way is because I didn't like the book! On the contrary, my life has been wild, and it took awhile to get to it!
As for A Second Helping, I read this knowing that I was reading a second in a series (hopefully) and wanted to see how that went--without having read the first. No problem! Enough background information was gleaned relatively early on so that (like the Alexander McCall Smith series of Number 1 Ladies Detective Agency, or like Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe's series), I was sufficiently clued in along the way to follow the story intelligently.
While it does seem far-fetched that each of the 5 foster children is an EXCEPTIONAL child in his/her own area (musical genius, scientific/math genius, full-blown orator, intuitive counselor, and all-around visionary), I took this in stride. While it does seem a bit far-fetched that so many coincidences happen providentially, and that when one person is finally free to remarry, along comes the one person in high school who he/she always loved--now free to marry as well, I took this in stride as well. This is a feel-good read, and it celebrates romance, community, morality, good-hearts, life-long growth in all areas of life, African-American heritage, and family. As it all takes place in a small town, I was rather put in mind of that other series by Jan Karon, the Mitford town series. People do things for the right reasons, children learn good lessons from the adults in their lives, the townspeople pull together in hard times and celebrate good tidings with appropriate outpourings of joy, etc. It wouldn't be a good story if their wasn't a snake in such a Paridise, and so snakes come, and are defeated.
Therefore, get your cozy quilt, find your comfortable reading chair, have your honeyed tea at the ready, and snuggle down for a good read here. I ran out and bought the first book in this series by Beverly Jenkins--and I indend to read it now, and savor every warm fuzzy! ENJOY!
  augustdreams | Apr 9, 2010 |

"On the heels of Bring on the Blessings, bestselling author Beverly Jenkins gives readers a second helping of the beautiful Kansas town of Henry Adams, and the residents who make it so unique"--Provided by publisher.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

A Second Helping by Beverly Jenkins was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,064,184 books! | Top bar: Always visible