The Other Mr. Darcy by Monica Fairview

The Other Mr. Darcy

by Monica Fairview

The idea of the book was interesting (if unlikely), and it was overall a fun light read and a decent professional Austen fanfic. However, there were a number of bits that seemed really pointless or exaggerated. The whole section with the Captain and Mrs. Miles, for example, ended up being both too over-the-top and too unresolved, and it could have been dropped without affecting the story. The Wickham bit -- well, I could see him doing that and it leading to that result, but again, what was the point of having these events in this story?

The story did grab me enough to keep me reading to see how things would work out between Caroline and Robert, but while I don't rule out reading more by this author in future, I'm not moved to seek out the entire backlist. ( )
  castiron | Sep 4, 2014 |
One of the best Pride and Prejudice sequels

In Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice Caroline Bingley is a character you love to hate. She’s the unmarried, snobby high society sister of the affable Mr. Bingley, and she’s been not so subtly pursuing Mr. Darcy for years with awkward flattery and clueless put downs of heroine Elizabeth Bennet. By the end of P and P Elizabeth and Darcy are getting married, of course, so what comes next for Caroline Bingley who is must be bitterly disappointed and broken hearted?

Author Monica Fairview performs the miracle of creating a believable and likeable Caroline Bingley. She even finds the perfect man for Caroline, who is now doing some soul searching about her life. In a P and P role reversal it is Caroline, the female, who is reserved, concerned with propriety and maybe a little over proud while the male, Mr. Darcy’s charming American cousin, is open, iconoclastic, funny and totally unconcerned with the finer points of etiquette. They have a lot to learn from each other.

If you enjoy Monica Fairview’s story telling skills you can find a wonderful short story sequel to Jane Austen’s Emma by her in the anthology Jane Austen Made Me Do It. ( )
  Jaylia3 | Sep 21, 2011 |
This book by Ms. Fairview held a very intriguing idea – what if Mr. Darcy had an American cousin, and that cousin found himself falling for Caroline Bingley? The result is this very Austen-esque novel that allows readers to actually like Caroline and wish for her to have her fairytale ending.

Caroline Bingley (who we read in Pride and Prejudice to be a cold, unfeeling, and conceited person) actually grows in personality (and even finds herself later on), which we can see this in the flirtatious and friendly banter between Robert Darcy and her. There were some other P&P elements that were applied to TOMD (but I won’t ruin the book by revealing them).

This tale was well worth my picking it up at my local library; and I give kudos to Fairview for coming up with this creative, entertaining, and original idea. ( )
  philae_02 | Mar 20, 2011 |
“She had always thought herself very competent. She had been confident of her goals and her ability to accomplish them. Then, one by one, the threads she had woven begun to unravel, and now she was left with nothing but a tangle.”

Caroline Bingley; we remember her as vain, haughty, and interfering. When attending Fitzwilliam Darcy’s wedding what do you think the conceited creature does? She cries alone in the library in uncontrollable sobs… or at least she thinks she’s alone. To her great humiliation Mr. Robert Darcy, the American cousin of Mr. Darcy, is sitting in the room. She is consoled with the idea that she will probably never see Mr. Robert again.
Staying at Netherfield, her friendship with Jane renewed, she helps her manage the household. She is so capable that the widowed Louisa remarks, ”What would they do without your management… they rely far too much on you.” Unexpectedly, Mr. Robert arrives with the news that Elizabeth Darcy is ill. Jane and Charles immediately set off to Pemberley.

Continue reading: http://novembersautumn.wordpress.com/2010/05/14/book-review-the-other-mr-darcy-b... ( )
  novembersautumn | Jul 2, 2010 |
I really enjoyed this sequel to P&P. Well done book about an American cousin of Mr. Darcy's who Caroline Bingley can't seem to avoid! Funny and I was surprisingly entertained and became a sympathetic fan of Caroline! Some nods to the original with some parallels in the plot, and even includes the obligatory wet Mr. Darcy pond scene! LOL!

http://ktleyed.blogspot.com/2010/06/other-mr-darcy-by-monica-fairview.html ( )
  ktleyed | Jun 19, 2010 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 140222513X, Paperback)

Did you know that Mr. Darcy had an American cousin?!

In this highly original Pride and Prejudice sequel by British author Monica Fairview, Caroline Bingley is our heroine. Caroline is sincerely broken-hearted when Mr. Darcy marries Lizzy Bennet— that is, until she meets his charming and sympathetic American cousin…

Mr. Robert Darcy is as charming as Mr. Fitzwilliam Darcy is proud, and he is stunned to find the beautiful Caroline weeping at his cousin's wedding. Such depth of love, he thinks, is rare and precious. For him, it's nearly love at first sight. But these British can be so haughty and off-putting. How can he let the young lady, who was understandably mortified to be discovered in such a vulnerable moment, know how much he feels for and sympathizes with her?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:22 -0400)

Robert Darcy is as charming as Fitzwilliam Darcy is proud, and he is stunned to find a beautiful young woman weeping at his cousin's wedding. Caroline Bingley is humiliated to discover this American stranger has witnessed her emotional display. Can love conquer all?… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,413,666 books! | Top bar: Always visible