The Katzman's Mate by Stormy Glenn

The Katzman's Mate

by Stormy Glenn

Recently added bymalee1, Kynnetic, dwcobb, vampkiss, pfodge

I get frustrated when there's a seemingly aggressive unwillingness to try to communicate, apparently when the lead had made the same mistake relatively recently ( )
  crankypants16 | Sep 23, 2013 |
Insta love, mating and 'love' based on the beauty of each other, little to no plot, and a whole lot of meh. Not for me. ( )
  Peepers82 | Sep 22, 2013 |
I bought this book since I read in another post by a friend of mine of a particularly development of the story that I was really interested in seeing, but since I'm mean, and since finding out that development is part of the surprise of the book, I will not say what it was ;-) Yes, yes, I know that I had an advantage on you, but still I'm incorruptible.

Apart from that first element, the Katzman's Mate has many traits that usually I like in a futuristic gay romance: first of all the 'furry' nature of one of the main characters, even more when it's the top of the situation. Truth be told, Chellak, the katzman, has less 'fur' than usual, and he has not a tail, only pointed ears and a bit of more hair on his body than a human. And a cat like nose. And long and thick hair like the mane of a lion... said like that he seems not so handsome, but he purrs, so I can accept that.

Chellak is the commander of a small pride who comes back to his home planet to get rid of the usurper who killed his father more or less thirty years before. Having Chellak a bit of feline nature in him, he is all in all the classical 'feline' man of a paranormal romance, all instinct and 'you are my mate' attitude: when a Alpha Male katzman finds his mate, he gets in a frenzy mating and he has only one thought in mind... well, to be true, not so different from any other male, feline or not. Anyway Chellak finds his mate in Demyan, a small man from an exotic planet who was a slave of the usurper: Demyan is a beautiful little thing and the villain used him as carrot to his stubborn son; if the 'Boy' behaved in a good way, he was allowed to play with his 'toy', Demyan, otherwise the toy was put in a cage. From that experience Demyan comes out a bit traumatized and also mute, due to an harsh punishment he suffered to have refused unwelcoming sexual advance from his captor.

This is not exactly a yaoi novel, it lacks of some of the main characterizations (big blurry eyes, blushing virgin and so on), but many of the elements that draw female reader to gay romance are there: the Top and Bottom pair, with clear and precise play roles without shifting; the chick with dick bottom, a boy who behaves mostly like a girl, when girl where demure and shy; the exclusive and strictly monogamous couple. In the end the big 'why' I was attracting to this book at first, the one I can't say, but that I know it's a big NO for some gay romance readers (especially the 'purist'), but that has some fans among other. If I'm to be sincere, I like all of above, true, not always and not in all my books, but sometime I like it; I'm all for a big bad Alpha Male who can pur, and I like Demyan's character, a mix of innocent and teaser, sometime you wonder if he is dumb, but then you realize he is really only very young and not used to deal with strangers.

So yes, I liked it, and please don't take my following comment like a reason to not read it; I feel to write it only as an advice to the author and the editor: being me not English mother tongue, it's hard for me to notice typos, but I found some, one even in the second sentence of the book, first page. They are quite simple mistakes, I believe most due, maybe, to an automatic proof reader that perhaps changed a word in the wrong way. Most of them probably you can find and correct with a second pass from a skilled reader. Since, as I said and want to remark, the story is good and the characters also, I think it's a shame that a reader is distracted by those typos.

2 vote elisa.rolle | Aug 28, 2009 |
I would like to thank all of the wonderful people at Siren Publishing,
especially the editors for their great insight and helpful hints, Jinger for her
amazing covers time and time again, and Angelica for answering every one
of my crazy questions. I especially want to thank Diana, for believing in me
and giving me this chance. This has been a great ride!

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,732,794 books! | Top bar: Always visible