The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag by…

The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag

by Alan Bradley

Series: Flavia de Luce (2)

2,6722352,225 (3.98)1 / 372
    We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson (kraaivrouw)
    Harriet the Spy by Louise Fitzhugh (kraaivrouw)
    The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King (47degreesnorth)
    Hotel Paradise by Martha Grimes (y2pk)
    y2pk: Pre-teen girl investigating adult crimes, while putting up with her sometimes-strange family and home life. Emma Graham also appears in two other books, Cold Flat Junction and Belle Ruin. They should be read in order.
    The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey (47degreesnorth)

English (240)  Italian (1)  All (241)
I listened to the Audiobook version, read by Jayne Entwhistle. More correctly, this should say "performed" by Jayne Entwhistle. Entwhistle is masterful at characteization and multiple voices; her interpretation of Flavia's character is just inspired. The story line did get a bit boggy, and Entwhistle's attempt to create a German accent for the former POW, Dieter, was downright painful. But overall this was fun, fun, fun, and Flavia really knows how to make an exit. "If anyone wants me, I shall be upstairs, weeping at the bottom of my closet!"

Reviewed in 2012 ( )
  laytonwoman3rd | Jun 22, 2018 |
I loved the first Flavia de Luce novel and it's writing style but was very disappointed with this one. The story didn't grip me, the characters seem annoyingly overdrawn and the mood of the book didn't match with storyline. Shame. ( )
  Lysann | Jun 13, 2018 |
Love this series, although I thought this book ran a little long. Sometimes a little Flavia goes a long way. ( )
  GaylaBassham | May 27, 2018 |
Really closer to 3.5. I enjoy Flavia's voice, but this one didn't grab me as much as the first did. Will definitely continue the series, however. ( )
  gossamerchild88 | Mar 30, 2018 |
Not quite as good as the 1st one. ( )
  CSDaley | Mar 28, 2018 |
The secret of the novel’s charm involves the way in which Flavia teeters on the border between precocity and childishness, spouting faux-cynical epithets that result from the fact that her intellectual gifts far outpace her emotional capacity.

All in all, it’s a perfectly detailed and credible English village in the Agatha Christie manner, inhabited by people you can believe in and sympathize with.

Bradley, Alanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sawatzki, AndreaSprechersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sullivan, SimonCartographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Turró Armengol, AnnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sir Walter Raleigh To His Son

Three things there be that prosper up apace,
And flourish while they grow asunder far;
But on a day, they meet all in a place,
And when they meet, they one another mar.

And they be these; the Wood, the Weed, the Wag;
The Wood is that that makes the gallows tree;
the Weed is that that strings the hangman's bag;
The Wag, my pretty knave, betokens thee.

Now mark, dear boy -- while these assemble not,
Green springs the tree, hemp grows, the wag is wild;
But when they meet, it makes the timber rot,
It frets the halter, and it chokes the child.
Again, for Shirley
I was lying dead in the churchyard.
"Children ought to be horsewhipped," she used to say, "unless they are going in for politics or the Bar, in which case they ought in addition to be drowned."
"Fetch my luggage, Clarence," she said, "and mind the alligator."
Seen from the air, the male mind must look rather like the canals of Europe, with ideas being towed along well-worn towpaths by heavy-footed dray horses. There is never any doubt that they will, despite wind and weather, reach their destination by following a simple series of connected lines.

Flavia de Luce applies her skills in the chemistry lab to solving the murder of a master puppeteer, a case that is further complicated by her tormenting sisters.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Alan Bradley's book The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,473,165 books! | Top bar: Always visible