The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag…

The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag (FLAVIA DE LUCE MYSTERY) (edition 2011)

by Alan Bradley

2,0971943,146 (4)1 / 335
    The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King (47degreesnorth)
    We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson (kraaivrouw)
    Harriet the Spy by Louise Fitzhugh (kraaivrouw)
    Hotel Paradise by Martha Grimes (y2pk)
    y2pk: Pre-teen girl investigating adult crimes, while putting up with her sometimes-strange family and home life. Emma Graham also appears in two other books, Cold Flat Junction and Belle Ruin. They should be read in order.
    The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey (47degreesnorth)

Once again, I didn't actually read this. I listened to the audio book while traveling. As before, the incomparable Jane Entwistle brings Bradley's story to life. Bradley captures the essence of the change from child to adult. Flavia is beginning to lose some of her childlike shine and to take on some of the worn understanding of adulthood. The mystery is not the center of the book - Flavia is. Her adventures, her thoughts, her life, her family - that is the center of the story. The mystery is merely how we get to know her. My eagerness to watch Flavia grow is nearly overwhelming. I can't recommend this story enough, and in particular, the reading by Jane Entwistle. ( )
  empress8411 | May 19, 2015 |
I really enjoyed the first Flavia de Luce Mystery, The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie, so much that I was very anxious for this book, The Weed that Strings the Hangman's Bag to come out. I found this book to be just as enjoyable as the first one. I loved to hear about 11-year-old Flavia's sleuthing adventures and her travels with her bicycle, Gladys. She is such an interesting character, and it is also interesting to observe other characters through her eyes as well as learn about the community she lives in (an English country village, shortly after World War II). The author has explained that one reason why he chose an 11-year-old girl is because she can observe things and people without many people taking her too seriously or being too aware of her, and that is part of the enjoyment of this book. It is not necessary to read The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie before you read this book, but I recommend that you do so you get a better understanding of Flavia's character. As far as the mystery is concerned, I think the mystery in The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie and how it unfolds is more suspenseful than the mystery in The Weed that Strings the Hangman's Bag and how it unfolds. On the other hand, this book isn't only about the mystery, and that is its strength -- it is about the characters and the community and how they interact with each other. I really hope the next book is not too long in coming.

By the way, I listened to both books on audio, and I really liked the narrator and the drama and humor her narration added to the story. ( )
  AdrienneJS | May 18, 2015 |
I just love Flavia de Luce and all the trouble she stirs up! ( )
  mlake | Apr 28, 2015 |
When a couple of travelling puppeteers arrive in Bishop's Lacey, it doesn't take Flavia de Luce long to realize that something is up. At first she thinks the mystery doesn't extend much beyond an unplanned pregnancy but soon she finds herself embroiled in the unexplained death of a young boy who died five years ago. Who really killed the boy? Was it murder? And what exactly does this strange, world-famous puppet master have to do with it all? With the help of her chemistry laboratory, Flavia is sure to find out! ( )
  Juva | Mar 27, 2015 |
I have to say, Bradley has an incredible imagination, and is the king of simile. This series is just full of such creative detail. I fell asleep a couple of times while listening (no fault of the authors) and had to back track a little which left me a little out of sync, but this is a fun series when you are looking for something entertaining. ( )
  MaureenCean | Feb 21, 2015 |
The secret of the novel’s charm involves the way in which Flavia teeters on the border between precocity and childishness, spouting faux-cynical epithets that result from the fact that her intellectual gifts far outpace her emotional capacity.

All in all, it’s a perfectly detailed and credible English village in the Agatha Christie manner, inhabited by people you can believe in and sympathize with.

Bradley, Alanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Aspen, NinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Entwistle, JayneNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Goudy, Frederic WilliamTypeface designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hobbing, DianeDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Montgomery, JoeCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sullivan, SimonCartographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sir Walter Raleigh To His Son

Three things there be that prosper up apace,
And flourish while they grow asunder far;
But on a day, they meet all in a place,
And when they meet, they one another mar.

And they be these; the Wood, the Weed, the Wag;
The Wood is that that makes the gallows tree;
the Weed is that that strings the hangman's bag;
The Wag, my pretty knave, betokens thee.

Now mark, dear boy -- while these assemble not,
Green springs the tree, hemp grows, the wag is wild;
But when they meet, it makes the timber rot,
It frets the halter, and it chokes the child.
Again, for Shirley
I was lying dead in the churchyard.
"Children ought to be horsewhipped," she used to say, "unless they are going in for politics or the Bar, in which case they ought in addition to be drowned."
"Fetch my luggage, Clarence," she said, "and mind the alligator."
Seen from the air, the male mind must look rather like the canals of Europe, with ideas being towed along well-worn towpaths by heavy-footed dray horses. There is never any doubt that they will, despite wind and weather, reach their destination by following a simple series of connected lines.
COPYRIGHT PAGE NOTICE (for Mystery Guild reprint, presumably also the Delacorte Press hardcover edition):

The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places, and incidents either are the product of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events, or locales is entirely coincidental.

Flavia de Luce, a dangerously brilliant eleven-year-old with a passion for chemistry and a genius for solving murders, sets out to solve the murder of a beloved puppeteer. All clues point toward a suspicious death years earlier and a case the local constables can't solve--without Flavia's help.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag by Alan Bradley was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,186,679 books! | Top bar: Always visible