The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag…

The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag (edition 2010)

by Alan Bradley

Info:Doubleday Canada (2010), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 368 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Fiction, Mystery

The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag by Alan Bradley

Recently added bymkbird, avanta7, mvo62, bwilkinson, Laura_Jones, agrifel, kokipy, private library, Doktor_Stein, jmvilches
1950s (66) 2010 (36) 2011 (17) amateur detective (19) ARC (17) audiobook (23) British (32) chemistry (83) crime (24) crime fiction (20) detective (16) ebook (27) England (154) fiction (189) Flavia de Luce (83) historical (19) historical fiction (42) humor (17) Kindle (14) murder (52) mystery (441) poison (28) puppets (53) read (29) read in 2010 (25) read in 2011 (17) series (46) to-read (34) YA (14) young adult (15)
    The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King (47degreesnorth)
    We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson (kraaivrouw)
    Harriet the Spy by Louise Fitzhugh (kraaivrouw)
    Hotel Paradise by Martha Grimes (y2pk)
    y2pk: Pre-teen girl investigating adult crimes, while putting up with her sometimes-strange family and home life. Emma Graham also appears in two other books, Cold Flat Junction and Belle Ruin. They should be read in order.
    The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey (47degreesnorth)

Liked this one a little better than the last. Wish Flavia was a little more likeable. ( )
1 vote | mbmeadow | Feb 6, 2014 |
I enjoyed this one more than The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie; I liked Flavia better this time around, and obviously I can't resist a Brontë-obsessed German POW. ( )
  thatotter | Feb 6, 2014 |
One of our favourite sleuths, 11 year-old Flavia de Luce, is at it again solving the murder at a show given by a famous puppeteer as well as solving the death a few years ago of a young boy. The plot is thin and highly implausible but somehow that doesn’t prevent us from enjoying this book and marvelling at how Flavia’s fertile brain works. Great fun. ( )
  mlbelize | Jan 27, 2014 |
The Good Stuff

God I love Flavia, such a mischievous little minx
Once the story got started (this one took a wee bit to get into) I couldn't stop listening to it
Fabulous character development on each and every character
Bloody hilarious
Ms Entwistle is an absolutely marvelous voice for Flavia - she truly brings the little devil to life - I could listen to her for hours!
Perfect for readers of any age, well at least past 12 - there is bloody murder after all
Loved the scene where Flavia wonders what an affair entitles
Makes me feel nostalgic for a simpler time - kids actually used their imagination, read books and wandered out in the wilds - damn we need more of that
Mwahh hah hah - don't ever tick me off - I have learned a lot about poisons - be warned and don't ever think about messing with my kids
I enjoy reading this series - but won't lie - will now only listen to them because the narrator is positively brillian

The Not So Good Stuff

Took a wee bit to get into the story on this one
Made me laugh m ass off while walking the dog or taking the bus, people were staring LOL!
Find myself using British terms and talking in an "english" voice - and I don't do a very good job of it either

Memorable Quotes

“I have to admit, though, that Cynthia was a great organizer, but then, so were the men with whips who got the pyramids built.”

“I remembered that Beethoven's symphonies had sometimes been given names... they should have call [the Fifth] the Vampire, because it simply refused to lie down and die.”

“But what he said was true enough: I had recently destroyed a perfectly good set of wire braces by straightening them to pick a lock. Father had grumbled, of course, but had made another appointment to have me netted and dragged back up to London, to that third-floor ironmonger's shop in Farringdon Street, where I would be strapped to a board like Boris Karloff as various bits of ironmongery were shoved into my mouth, screwed in, and bolted to my gums.”

4.5 Dewey's

I borrowed this from the Calgary Public Library ( )
  mountie9 | Jan 21, 2014 |
Alas.
Loved the first book in this series, but I am getting tired of the ever precious Flavia. perhaps I am too old for these books - I rather suspect that I would have loved them during my time with Anne of GG or Emily of New Moon. Her life becomes more unreal with each successive book and she is the tiniest bit smug.
Perhaps a good tongue lashing now and then might keep her ego in check - but she is quickly growing insufferable! ( )
1 vote Dabble58 | Jan 1, 2014 |
The secret of the novel’s charm involves the way in which Flavia teeters on the border between precocity and childishness, spouting faux-cynical epithets that result from the fact that her intellectual gifts far outpace her emotional capacity.

All in all, it’s a perfectly detailed and credible English village in the Agatha Christie manner, inhabited by people you can believe in and sympathize with.

Bradley, Alanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Entwistle, JayneNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Montgomery, JoeCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sir Walter Raleigh To His Son

Three things there be that prosper up apace,
And flourish while they grow asunder far;
But on a day, they meet all in a place,
And when they meet, they one another mar.

And they be these; the Wood, the Weed, the Wag;
The Wood is that that makes the gallows tree;
the Weed is that that strings the hangman's bag;
The Wag, my pretty knave, betokens thee.

Now mark, dear boy -- while these assemble not,
Green springs the tree, hemp grows, the wag is wild;
But when they meet, it makes the timber rot,
It frets the halter, and it chokes the child.
Again, for Shirley
I was lying dead in the churchyard.
"Children ought to be horsewhipped," she used to say, "unless they are going in for politics or the Bar, in which case they ought in addition to be drowned."
"Fetch my luggage, Clarence," she said, "and mind the alligator."
Seen from the air, the male mind must look rather like the canals of Europe, with ideas being towed along well-worn towpaths by heavy-footed dray horses. There is never any doubt that they will, despite wind and weather, reach their destination by following a simple series of connected lines.

Flavia de Luce, a dangerously brilliant eleven-year-old with a passion for chemistry and a genius for solving murders, sets out to solve the murder of a beloved puppeteer. All clues point toward a suspicious death years earlier and a case the local constables can't solve--without Flavia's help.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag by Alan Bradley was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,469,457 books! | Top bar: Always visible