The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag…

The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag (edition 2010)

by Alan Bradley

Info:Doubleday Canada (2010), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 368 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Fiction, Mystery

The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag by Alan Bradley

We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson (kraaivrouw)
    Harriet the Spy by Louise Fitzhugh (kraaivrouw)
    The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King (47degreesnorth)
    Hotel Paradise by Martha Grimes (y2pk)
    y2pk: Pre-teen girl investigating adult crimes, while putting up with her sometimes-strange family and home life. Emma Graham also appears in two other books, Cold Flat Junction and Belle Ruin. They should be read in order.
    The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey (47degreesnorth)

This was a fun read. I love Flavia unconventional direct way to solve a murder. It's not only that she illuminats the things in the now but also how she brings the past to light. She knows no taboos when it comes to the human weaknesses. Furthermore, I also like how she examines things with the help of her beloved chemistry labs, while more familiar than studied people. This time, she examines the murder of a puppeteer. As it turns out, he was known of many people from Flavia's environment from an earlier period and could therefore put these people under pressure. Therefore, there was too many people who had an interest in his death. Just the thing for Flavia to start their studies. ( )
  Ameise1 | May 11, 2016 |
I loved the first book so much that I confess to not even reading the book blurb for this book before starting. I probably should have because I was more than 75 pages in when I started wondering where the murder was or if it had shifted to some other type of mystery and what I was missing. The murder happens quite late in the plot, with many of the legwork being inadvertanly done in the first 3rd of the book with our little heroine none the wiser. Despite that little blip in my reading progress, I really liked this book.

As always happens in a serial like this one, I can't help comparing to the others in the series. So in that case, the first book was better, but that shouldn't stop anyone from continuing.

Our lovely, precocious, and devious heroine Flavia de Luce is at it again. Through her inquisitveness she uncovers a web of secrets and half-truths that weaves it's way through the citizens of Bishop's Lacey. With science, her trusty bike Gladys, and a touch more common sense than the adults involved, she becomes embroiled in not just one death but possibly two. And yet Alan Bradley still manages to create a character, that although wise beyond her years, is still a child, with all the naivete and misinterpretations inherent to an 11 year old girl. The combination is perfectly delightful.

Several new characters are introduced in this book that seem as if they will be recurring and old favorites are featured as well. As for Flavia's evil sisters, well they seem to get more cruel in this book, which has us rooting for Flavia's evil chemical machinations. Time will only tell if karmic justice will be done.

Eagerly anticipating the next Flavia de Luce novel! ( )
  mashiaraqcs | Mar 29, 2016 |
Another fun Flavia de Luce mystery. It had some threads that were left hanging, but all in all, it was enjoyable brain candy. ( )
  Gwendydd | Mar 27, 2016 |
f you've been wanting that book 1001 Similes Before You Die, rest assured that after you read the Flavia deLuce series you would have hit every one of them! Like ants at a picnic, the pages are crawling with them. As in the first book, they start to detract from the story and I started skimming them like dragonflies across a pond. Still, it is an entertaining read and I liked the story a bit better than the first. ( )
  tames | Mar 7, 2016 |
A well-known puppeteer drops dead during a performance in front of the entire village. Flavia de Luce, a girl overflowing with curiosity and arcane chemical knowledge, is on the case. I love her so much. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
The secret of the novel’s charm involves the way in which Flavia teeters on the border between precocity and childishness, spouting faux-cynical epithets that result from the fact that her intellectual gifts far outpace her emotional capacity.

All in all, it’s a perfectly detailed and credible English village in the Agatha Christie manner, inhabited by people you can believe in and sympathize with.

Bradley, Alanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Aspen, NinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Entwistle, JayneNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Goudy, Frederic WilliamTypeface designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hobbing, DianeDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Montgomery, JoeCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sullivan, SimonCartographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sir Walter Raleigh To His Son

Three things there be that prosper up apace,
And flourish while they grow asunder far;
But on a day, they meet all in a place,
And when they meet, they one another mar.

And they be these; the Wood, the Weed, the Wag;
The Wood is that that makes the gallows tree;
the Weed is that that strings the hangman's bag;
The Wag, my pretty knave, betokens thee.

Now mark, dear boy -- while these assemble not,
Green springs the tree, hemp grows, the wag is wild;
But when they meet, it makes the timber rot,
It frets the halter, and it chokes the child.
Again, for Shirley
I was lying dead in the churchyard.
"Children ought to be horsewhipped," she used to say, "unless they are going in for politics or the Bar, in which case they ought in addition to be drowned."
"Fetch my luggage, Clarence," she said, "and mind the alligator."
Seen from the air, the male mind must look rather like the canals of Europe, with ideas being towed along well-worn towpaths by heavy-footed dray horses. There is never any doubt that they will, despite wind and weather, reach their destination by following a simple series of connected lines.
COPYRIGHT PAGE NOTICE (for Mystery Guild reprint, presumably also the Delacorte Press hardcover edition):

The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places, and incidents either are the product of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events, or locales is entirely coincidental.

Flavia de Luce, a dangerously brilliant eleven-year-old with a passion for chemistry and a genius for solving murders, sets out to solve the murder of a beloved puppeteer. All clues point toward a suspicious death years earlier and a case the local constables can't solve--without Flavia's help.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag by Alan Bradley was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,881,176 books! | Top bar: Always visible