The Collected Essex County by Jeff Lemire

The Collected Essex County (2009)

by Jeff Lemire

Series: Essex County (omnibus)

I really enjoyed this collection. It was cool to see a story set in Ontario (where I live) and an area I've visited. The themes in this collection were beautifully portrayed and I really enjoyed the way everyone was connected. Jeff Lemire is a great storyteller. ( )
  jdifelice | Jan 20, 2018 |
A fun afternoon easy read. This was my first real foray into graphic novels (other than the likes of 'Tintin' and 'Asterix and Obelisk') and it was different/better than expected. The drawings were often more keyed into plot development than the actual text, and I certainly didn't spend the time with the book it deserved. I'm not sure this was deserving of the title of one of CBC's top five Canadian books of 2010, but if the listing was looking to round out genres then this one more than likely adequately fit the bill. Subject matter was often dark, very realistic, and quite compelling. And of course, the added draw of Essex County being the next county over from my hometown, the familiarity of the subject matter easily drew me in. ( )
  booksofmoerman | Dec 22, 2017 |
Jeff Lemire has a bleak and gorgeous drawing style that I love so much. ( )
  bucketofrhymes | Dec 13, 2017 |
Absolutely fabulous graphic novel about Essex County, Ontario and the interconnected lives of people who live there. Story is well crafted and I love the art (and inking). Think small town and hockey. ( )
  Jamichuk | May 22, 2017 |
Jeff Lemire's The Complete Essex County was my first foray into the world of graphic novels . . I can't think of a better introduction to the genre. The art/cartooning was amazing . . the trilogy intertwined flawlessly and - given that it was a very quick read - the character development/storyline kept me engaged throughout! If you're a fan of the genre - or if you're looking for a new avenue to explore, I highly recommend The Complete Essex County! ( )
  idajo | May 8, 2016 |

Jeff Lemireprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cooke, DarwynIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 160309038X, Paperback)

Where does a young boy turn when his whole world suddenly disappears? What turns two brothers from an unstoppable team into a pair of bitterly estranged loners? How does the simple-hearted care of one middle-aged nurse reveal the scars of an entire community, and can anything heal the wounds caused by a century of deception? Award-winning cartoonist Jeff Lemire pays tribute to his roots with Essex County, an award-winning trilogy of graphic novels set in an imaginary version of his hometown, the eccentric farming community of Essex County, Ontario, Canada. In Essex County, Lemire crafts an intimate study of one community through the years, and a tender meditation on family, memory, grief, secrets, and reconciliation. With the lush, expressive inking of a young artist at the height of his powers, Lemire draws us in and sets us free. This new edition collects the complete, critically-acclaimed trilogy (Tales from the Farm, Ghost Stories, and The Country Nurse) in one deluxe volume! Also included are over 40-pages of previously unpublished material, including two new stories.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:01 -0400)

Presents the award-winning trilogy of graphic novels set in an imaginary version of the author's hometown, and reveals the problems and issues the families within the community face.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,013,385 books! | Top bar: Always visible