dismiss

Anthem

by Ayn Rand

Other authors: Leonard Peikoff

Equality 7-2521 lives in the Dark Ages of the future, where all decisions are made by committee, all people live in collectives, all traces of individualism have been wiped out. But the spark of individual thought and freedom still burns in Equality 7-2521, a passion which he has been taught to call sinful. In a purely egalitarian world, he dares to stand forth from the herd -- to think and choose for himself, to discover electricity, and to love the woman of his choice. Now he has been marked for death for committing the ultimate sin: in a world where the great "we" reign supreme, he has rediscovered the lost and holy word "I". This provocative book is an anthem sung in praise of man's ego.… (more)
    1984 by George Orwell (MMSequeira)
    MMSequeira: Both 1984 and Anthem we're inspired by Zamyatin's We. Both are worth reading, as cautionary tales.
    Essays on Ayn Rand's Anthem by Robert Mayhew (mcaution)
    mcaution: Gain a deeper understanding and appreciation of Rand's novella through this unique collection of scholarly criticism.
    We by Yevgeny Zamyatin (myshelves)
    myshelves: Classic dystopian novel.
    Progress by Charles Stampul (Anonymous user)
    The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood (coolsnak3)
    coolsnak3: more dystopia for you. :)
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (TaylorReynolds)
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (kxlly)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (Unionhawk)

English (183)  German (1)  All languages (184)
A little parable about a very collectivist society. Even the word "I" is banned. It is a very flat characterisation, and unbelievable, and banal. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Mar 25, 2020 |
Short SF book about the strangulation of man by the state. Since she left the Soviet Union in 1926, to come to the US, she has experience in this area. Readers of Classic SF will say they have read this theme by others who did it better. Published in 1938 she did it before many of the others. ( )
  ikeman100 | Mar 23, 2020 |
Equality 7-2521 meets the Golden One in the otherwise bland, boring and monotonous future.

On re-reading it several years latter I find it much more simplistic and -1 star. ( )
  evil_cyclist | Mar 16, 2020 |
Spoilery thoughts on all the 1939 Retro-Hugo nominated novellas here:
http://ciaracatscifi.blogspot.com/2014/07/1939-best-novella-my-ballot.html ( )
  CiaraCat | Jan 9, 2020 |
I read The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged when I was fifteen and thought they were amazing at the time. After a while you begin to notice the stilted dialogue, the strange ways Rand puts things. At first you can excuse this by saying it isn't her first language, and this is quite true. I am pretty sure that this book would be bad even if written in Russian though.
This man...Equality 7- something or other decides to go and be an individual in a society that frowns upon it. Apparently there was a cataclysm and now it has been lost to the ages. The ego that is. So this person, let us call him Emmett for the sake of not having to type out his full name, goes and follows the rules but everyone is so stupid. Emmett knows all the answers. Emmett can connect the dots. Emmett is not a moron. Emmett wants to be a scholar but it is forbidden for you to choose that for yourself. Emmett becomes a Street Sweeper and Emmett finds a mysterious cave of iron that is actually an old subway line and decides to learn things. Oh the audacity of this Emmett!
Apparently this place also has fallen to the wayside since people don't live so long unless they become leaders. Everyone gets sent to the House of the Useless at the age of 40. After that they soon whither and die. A person that lives to 45 is stared at by children and suchlike.
Sigh... I won't go into further detail but take it from me, this book is not that good. It is overly silly and many other books exist out there. The one good thing about it is that it is short. I finished it in under 2 hours. ( )
  Floyd3345 | Jun 15, 2019 |

Ayn Randprimary authorall editionscalculated
Peikoff, Leonardsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Peikoff, LeonardIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It is a sin to write this. It is a sin to think words no others think and to put them down upon a paper no others are to see. It is base and evil. It is as if we were speaking alone to no ears but our own. And we know well that there is no transgression blacker than to do or think alone. We have broken the laws. The laws say that men may not write unless the Council of Vocations bid them so. May we be forgiven!
This, my body and spirit, this is the end of the quest.
Rather would we be damned with you than blessed with all our brothers.
The fortunes of my spirit are not to be made into coins of brass and be flung into the wind as alms for the poor of spirit.
I understood that centuries of chains and lashes will not kill the spirit of man nor the sense of truth within him.

Legacy Library: Ayn Rand

Ayn Rand has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Ayn Rand's legacy profile.

See Ayn Rand's author page.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0451191137, 0141189614

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,855,301 books! | Top bar: Always visible