Anthem by Ayn Rand

Title:Anthem
Authors:Ayn Rand
Info:Plume (1999), Paperback, 256 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:persecution, rebellion, death sentence, dystopia, economics, collectivism, individualism, torture, imprisonment, rebirth, rory gilmore bookcase, listsofbests, the strand 80

Anthem by Ayn Rand

1984 by George Orwell (MMSequeira)
    MMSequeira: Both 1984 and Anthem we're inspired by Zamyatin's We. Both are worth reading, as cautionary tales.
    Essays on Ayn Rand's Anthem by Robert Mayhew (mcaution)
    mcaution: Gain a deeper understanding and appreciation of Rand's novella through this unique collection of scholarly criticism.
    We by Yevgeny Zamyatin (myshelves)
    myshelves: Classic dystopian novel.
    Progress by Charles Stampul (Anonymous user)
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (coolsnak3)
    coolsnak3: more dystopia for you. :)
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (TaylorReynolds)
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (kxlly)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (Unionhawk)

The first 75% or so of the book is pretty decent, I mostly agreed with it; sheeple are bad, question things, don't follow blindly, etc. But then, it wouldn't be Rand if she didn't smash it into your face and go absurdly over the top, and she ruins it with the ending. Basically (as per her norm) saying, eff everyone else, only do things for yourself not because they benefit humanity, and so forth. Because that is what will obviously make for such an excellent society! *groan*

Anyhow, the story is decent enough, and it's only a novella, very quick read. But yeah, Rand had some seriously screwed up notions. ( )
  .Monkey. | May 21, 2017 |
A quick read. Found this book in my daughter’s stack of unread books from high school. I enjoyed the story of a post-apocalyptic society and how one individual went from being part of a collective to an individual. ( )
  caanderson | Feb 19, 2017 |
Don't know how I feel about Rand's philosophy of objectivism, it seems kind of like justification for selfishness, but the book was pretty good. ( )
  hay16mc | Feb 13, 2017 |
Absolutely profound

This book was beautiful, thought provoking and so profound. Highly recommended! I was a little skeptical at first but once I picked it up and began reading I didn't put it down until finished (granted it's only 89 pages, but still). ( )
  JordanAshleyPerkins | Jan 26, 2017 |
I've always steered clear of Ayn Rand. As a 'libertarian or 'classical liberal', I've often been accused of being some Rand fanboy and I was always able to reply that I'd never read one of her books. But I don't suppose you can avoid it forever.

Rand exists as both novelist and political philosopher and the two cannot be entirely disentangled. This short book, really a novella, is a sort of parable illustrating the key points of Rand's Objectivist philosophy. As a literature it actually works better than I'd been led to expect. The last couple of sections might be a bit overblown, but it is worth remembering that this is written in the first person by a character escaping from a lifetime of deadening submergence in a collective.

As political philosophy Anthem is not the evil book that some of these reviews would have you believe. It is based on the simple and obvious observation that people exist as individuals and that when people say 'we' do this or think that what they really mean is that some of us do this or think that and extending that action or thought over people who might not do or think it is wrong.

Either way, if you think you might like or hate Rand as writer and/or philosopher, this book is probably a good place to start. ( )
  JohnPhelan | Oct 4, 2016 |

Ayn Randprimary authorall editionscalculated
Peikoff, LeonardIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It is a sin to write this. It is a sin to think words no others think and to put them down upon a paper no others are to see. It is base and evil. It is as if we were speaking alone to no ears but our own. And we know well that there is no transgression blacker than to do or think alone. We have broken the laws. The laws say that men may not write unless the Council of Vocations bid them so. May we be forgiven!
This, my body and spirit, this is the end of the quest.
Rather would we be damned with you than blessed with all our brothers.
The fortunes of my spirit are not to be made into coins of brass and be flung into the wind as alms for the poor of spirit.
I understood that centuries of chains and lashes will not kill the spirit of man nor the sense of truth within him.

Equality 7-2521 lives in the Dark Ages of the future, where all decisions are made by committee, all people live in collectives, all traces of individualism have been wiped out. But the spark of individual thought and freedom still burns in Equality 7-2521, a passion which he has been taught to call sinful. In a purely egalitarian world, he dares to stand forth from the herd -- to think and choose for himself, to discover electricity, and to love the woman of his choice. Now he has been marked for death for committing the ultimate sin: in a world where the great "we" reign supreme, he has rediscovered the lost and holy word "I". This provocative book is an anthem sung in praise of man's ego.… (more)

Legacy Library: Ayn Rand

Ayn Rand has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Ayn Rand's legacy profile.

See Ayn Rand's author page.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0451191137, 0141189614

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,081,555 books! | Top bar: Always visible