Anthem by Ayn Rand

Title:Anthem
Authors:Ayn Rand
Info:Plume (1999), Paperback, 256 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:persecution, rebellion, death sentence, dystopia, economics, collectivism, individualism, torture, imprisonment, rebirth, rory gilmore bookcase, listsofbests, the strand 80

Anthem by Ayn Rand

1984 by George Orwell (MMSequeira)
    MMSequeira: Both 1984 and Anthem we're inspired by Zamyatin's We. Both are worth reading, as cautionary tales.
    Essays on Ayn Rand's Anthem by Robert Mayhew (mcaution)
    mcaution: Gain a deeper understanding and appreciation of Rand's novella through this unique collection of scholarly criticism.
    We by Yevgeny Zamyatin (myshelves)
    myshelves: Classic dystopian novel.
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (coolsnak3)
    coolsnak3: more dystopia for you. :)
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (TaylorReynolds)
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (kxlly)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (Unionhawk)

Anthem is dystopian fiction published in 1938 in England.
"Macmillan turned it down; their comment was: the author does not understand socialism."
"Cassell published it in England under the title Ego."

Our protagonist, (Equality 7-2521) ,is introduced through a series of journal entries, as he, a street sweeper discovers Liberty 5-3000, a female gardener.
Difficulty arises as individualism has been eliminated in favor of 'collective will".

A revised edition of Anthem was published in the US in 1946 by Pamphleteers,

"The protagonist sits alone in a tunnel and writes down his feeling of rebellion against the collectivist society into which he was born"

4 ★ ( )
  pennsylady | Jan 27, 2016 |
Such a powerful message of individuality and the perseverance of the human spirit. I must read more of Rand's work. ( )
  hickey92 | Jan 24, 2016 |
I liked this back when I read it, but it has been a long time. It was powerful, so I have always remembered the story. For years I remembered this story but for some reason thought it had been written by Margaret Atwood. Shocking, I know, since they write so differently, but I finally put it all together.
  Karin7 | Jan 21, 2016 |
Another post-apocalyptic tale about how individuality has been removed from society, and life is simply about the greater good, and one individuals desire to break free from this lifestyle. Long enough to make a point, but short enough to keep it interesting. ( )
  biggs1399 | Jan 19, 2016 |
Anthem is a dystopian novel in which the word “I” does not exist. Everyone refers to themselves as “we,” and the only acceptable thoughts and actions are those which will benefit society. No one is ever alone, and any form of selfishness is a crime against society. Our narrator, Equality 7-2521, regrets that he was born with a “curse” because he likes to think for himself and he has preferences (both crimes). His internal struggle against himself and his external struggle against society form the plot of the novella.

This was a very quick read (I think I finished it in less than an hour). I like what I’ve read of Rand so far, and although I haven’t completely bought her philosophy, her ideas are always worth thinking about. It did take me a little while to get used to the use of plural pronouns instead of singular ones, but that’s not a big deal. ( )
  AmandaL. | Jan 16, 2016 |

Ayn Randprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Peikoff, LeonardIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It is a sin to write this. It is a sin to think words no others think and to put them down upon a paper no others are to see. It is base and evil. It is as if we were speaking alone to no ears but our own. And we know well that there is no transgression blacker than to do or think alone. We have broken the laws. The laws say that men may not write unless the Council of Vocations bid them so. May we be forgiven!
This, my body and spirit, this is the end of the quest.
Rather would we be damned with you than blessed with all our brothers.
The fortunes of my spirit are not to be made into coins of brass and be flung into the wind as alms for the poor of spirit.
I understood that centuries of chains and lashes will not kill the spirit of man nor the sense of truth within him.

Equality 7-2521 lives in the Dark Ages of the future, where all decisions are made by committee, all people live in collectives, all traces of individualism have been wiped out. But the spark of individual thought and freedom still burns in Equality 7-2521, a passion which he has been taught to call sinful. In a purely egalitarian world, he dares to stand forth from the herd -- to think and choose for himself, to discover electricity, and to love the woman of his choice. Now he has been marked for death for committing the ultimate sin: in a world where the great "we" reign supreme, he has rediscovered the lost and holy word "I". This provocative book is an anthem sung in praise of man's ego.… (more)

Legacy Library: Ayn Rand

Ayn Rand has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Ayn Rand's legacy profile.

See Ayn Rand's author page.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0451191137, 0141189614

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 102,986,569 books! | Top bar: Always visible