Anthem by Ayn Rand

Anthem (edition 1996)

by Ayn Rand, Leonard Peikoff (Introduction), Leonard Peikoff (Contributor)

Member:ChristinaDye
Title:Anthem
Authors:Ayn Rand
Other authors:Leonard Peikoff (Introduction), Leonard Peikoff (Contributor)
Info:Signet (1996), Edition: Expanded 50th Anniversary, Mass Market Paperback, 272 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites

Anthem by Ayn Rand

Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell (MMSequeira)
    MMSequeira: Both 1984 and Anthem we're inspired by Zamyatin's We. Both are worth reading, as cautionary tales.
    Essays on Ayn Rand's Anthem by Robert Mayhew (mcaution)
    mcaution: Gain a deeper understanding and appreciation of Rand's novella through this unique collection of scholarly criticism.
    We by Yevgeny Zamyatin (myshelves)
    myshelves: Classic dystopian novel.
    The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood (coolsnak3)
    coolsnak3: more dystopia for you. :)
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (TaylorReynolds)
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (kxlly)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (Unionhawk)

I absolutely loved this book. The premise behind it at first seemed like every other dystopian novel, alternate reality, no individuality...that kind of thing. However, I was very much impressed with the collective "we" used in the novel. I enjoyed the...sameness, that everyone had, and then I enjoyed the process by which Equality learned his individuality. The discovery was enjoyable, the characters were believable..the book overall, though short, is a very satisfying read. ( )
  AllCrazyHere | May 7, 2014 |

With slightly heavy heart, having previously digested The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged, I breezed through it fairly fast. It's a lot better than I expected, partly because it's a lot shorter than I expected; the story is very simply of a worker in a totalitarian, low-tech society who commits an act of rebellion by falling in love and, in the last revolutionary chapter, switching to "I" rather than "we" for the first person pronoun. The revolt against dystopia has been done better elsewhere, including in We, Nineteen Eighty-Four and Brave New World, but this does distil it down to its essence quite effectively. ( )
  nwhyte | May 3, 2014 |
Bland, flat, simplistic, primitive account of dystopian government and the conflict between individual vs. the collective. Read Huxley or Orwell instead. ( )
2 vote Sandydog1 | Mar 24, 2014 |

Pages: 105

Modern Library: The Reader’s List #7

Started: 15 January 2014

What I know right now:

This book was not published in America until 1946.

Independent thought is a crime.

What I found out by reading the book:

Anthem is a quick read and the first of Rand’s for me. I liked the book, the message, and the parallels it draws with so many things in the world today. The central theme of the book is egoism. In brief, every person has the right to pursue happiness without being obligated to another. The story follows Equality 7-2521 (there are no Johns or Janes in this book) as he discovers his own identity in a world where there is no “I.” Equality 7-2521 lives in a collective society where social rule dictates his career, how long he will eat his lunch, and what time he goes to bed at night. There is no love, only breeding, there is no exploration, only social oppression.

It takes a little while to get the hang of reading a first-person narrative in the plural form, so you’ll have to wrap your brain around the “we” instead of the “I.” I highly recommend this book if for nothing else as a quick reexamination of the importance of individuality and a reminder of what makes you happy. There’s also a “who moved my cheese” sort of moment about 3/4′s of the way through the book that made me chuckle. Oh, and there’s a love story tucked away in there too.

Here are a few notable passages:

“And those times passed away, when men saw the Great Truth which is this: that all men are one and that there is no will save the will of all men together” (20).

“The Council of Scholars has said that we all know the things which exist and therefore the things which are not known by all do not exist” (52).

“My happiness is not the means to any end. It is the end. It is its own goal. It is its own purpose” (95).

Finished: 18 January 2014 ( )
2 vote BadCursive | Feb 9, 2014 |
1984 (by G Orwell) is much better and not to mention so was Brave New World & Brave New World Revisited (by A Huxley) ( )
  virg144 | Feb 8, 2014 |

Ayn Randprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Peikoff, LeonardIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It is a sin to write this. It is a sin to think words no others think and to put them down upon a paper no others are to see. It is base and evil. It is as if we were speaking alone to no ears but our own. And we know well that there is no transgression blacker than to do or think alone. We have broken the laws. The laws say that men may not write unless the Council of Vocations bid them so. May we be forgiven!
This, my body and spirit, this is the end of the quest.
Rather would we be damned with you than blessed with all our brothers.
The fortunes of my spirit are not to be made into coins of brass and be flung into the wind as alms for the poor of spirit.
I understood that centuries of chains and lashes will not kill the spirit of man nor the sense of truth within him.

Equality 7-2521 lives in the Dark Ages of the future, where all decisions are made by committee, all people live in collectives, all traces of individualism have been wiped out. But the spark of individual thought and freedom still burns in Equality 7-2521, a passion which he has been taught to call sinful. In a purely egalitarian world, he dares to stand forth from the herd -- to think and choose for himself, to discover electricity, and to love the woman of his choice. Now he has been marked for death for committing the ultimate sin: in a world where the great "we" reign supreme, he has rediscovered the lost and holy word "I". This provocative book is an anthem sung in praise of man's ego.… (more)

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0451191137, 0141189614

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,617,604 books! | Top bar: Always visible