The Lion of Justice by Jean Plaidy

The Lion of Justice (1975)

by Jean Plaidy

Although I don’t feel this second instalment in the Norman series is in the same league as the first, I do still rate it highly.

I think there’re too many elements in “The Lion of Justice”, which prevents this reader at least from being absorbed by, say, two or three key themes. Perhaps the author would’ve fared better to have focused on William II (aka Rufus) and his term as England’s monarch, rather than covering so wide a scope, as certain plotlines feel rushed or underdeveloped.

One storyline in particular – I won’t say which for fear of spoiling anything for people considering reading this novel – felt anticlimactic. For those who have read it, I’ll just state that I’m referring to Nesta, her cousin, and Henry’s later involvement.

A four-book set rather than three would maybe have served better. Either that or this novel should’ve been extended by 100 pages or so. It’s also hard to get to know the main characters with such a lot of co-stars involved.

In short, I consider this a good read that has not realised its full potential. ( )
  PhilSyphe | Aug 27, 2015 |
Book 2 of the Norman Trilogy. It follows The Bastard King.

Covers the reigns of Rufus (William II) until his death in a suspicious hunting accident and Henry I, his younger brother, from his coronation until the death of his first wife Matilda. I'm not familiar with the history so I can't vouch for the accuracy one way or the other, but it's entertaining. Mind candy for historical fiction fans, perhaps a mild and lightweight romance novel. But it's definitely heavier on the history and the machinations of English rule, so the romance novel cover is a bit much. ( )
  makaiju | May 2, 2008 |
I enjoy every Jean Plaidy novel, so I may be biased in my praise. This is not my favorite one, but I would recommend it for the full story of England's history. This covers Henry I's lifetime, as well as the tragic loss of his son at sea. There's a little light romance in his choice of a wife, despite all his other love affairs. Certainly not a romance novel, but some coves depict it to be so. ( )
1 vote PensiveCat | Nov 5, 2007 |
In her bedchamber the Queen of Scotland lay dying.

The death of The Conqueror left 3 sons to inherit his power and his wealth. Normandy for Robert, England for Rufus and for Henry, the youngest, five thousand pounds of silver.
And Henry - cleverest of all - awaited his chance to fulfill his father's prophecy and assume the mantle of the Lion of Justice.

The death of The Conqueror left three sons to inherit his power and his wealth. Normandy for Robert, England for Rufus and for Henry, the youngest, five thousand pounds of silver. The three were natural rivals. The feckless Robert lost his Norman dukedom in an orgy of impulsive extravagance. Red-haired Rufus scandalized the court with his perverse sexuality and contempt for the Church. And Henry - cleverest of all - awaited his chance to fulfill his father's prophecy and assume the mantle of The Lion of Justice.… (more)

16 wanted1 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,247,881 books! | Top bar: Always visible