The Lion of Justice by Victoria Holt

The Lion of Justice (1975)

by Jean Plaidy

Book 2 of the Norman Trilogy. It follows The Bastard King.

Covers the reigns of Rufus (William II) until his death in a suspicious hunting accident and Henry I, his younger brother, from his coronation until the death of his first wife Matilda. I'm not familiar with the history so I can't vouch for the accuracy one way or the other, but it's entertaining. Mind candy for historical fiction fans, perhaps a mild and lightweight romance novel. But it's definitely heavier on the history and the machinations of English rule, so the romance novel cover is a bit much. ( )
  makaiju | May 2, 2008 |
I enjoy every Jean Plaidy novel, so I may be biased in my praise. This is not my favorite one, but I would recommend it for the full story of England's history. This covers Henry I's lifetime, as well as the tragic loss of his son at sea. There's a little light romance in his choice of a wife, despite all his other love affairs. Certainly not a romance novel, but some coves depict it to be so. ( )
1 vote PensiveCat | Nov 5, 2007 |
In her bedchamber the Queen of Scotland lay dying.

The death of The Conqueror left 3 sons to inherit his power and his wealth. Normandy for Robert, England for Rufus and for Henry, the youngest, five thousand pounds of silver.
The three were natural rivals. The feckless Robert lost his Norman dukedom in an orgy of impulsive extravagance. Red-haired Rufus scandalized the court with his perverse sexuality and contempt for the Church.
And Henry - cleverest of all - awaited his chance to fulfill his father's prophecy and assume the mantle of the Lion of Justice.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,319,768 books! | Top bar: Always visible