I Have Lived a Thousand Years: Growing up in…

I Have Lived a Thousand Years: Growing up in the Holocaust (1997)

by Livia Bitton-Jackson

Recently added byDegan6, Jessica_H_96, crazeedi73, CCRLibrary, Jeslieness, private library, lindarl

I wouldn't state that this was one of my favorite books that I have read recently about the Holocaust, but I would state it is the one that was able to draw out some emotions in myself. It reminded me of some of my own experiences in life, which helped me to understand this particular era in a more profound way than I had before reading it. I had to ultimately realize that the writing style of this book was geared towards a younger audience than myself because that was my main gripe with it that it felt like she was dumbing down certain aspects of her story and also she ended a lot of chapters overly dramatically, which caused one to question how she would deal with the tragedies she was sure to face later on in the book since one is usually aware that this is about the Holocaust and those horrible events.

While I didn't totally appreciate this particular book I do find myself wanting to read her other two books that deal with her life after this period. I feel that it would be fascinating to know what happened to her once she left the camp and also when she came to America. I am sure she had a vastly different perspective than we have currently in our society, so those will be interesting to read. This book is a good lead into those two other books, since not many books about the Holocaust deal with the effects of after it.

I believe Livia Bitton-Jackson created a book that would also be good for teachers that are trying to help students learn about this time period because the book contains two separate appendixes that are timelines. The first timeline is of the events in her own individual life and the second is a timeline of the events in World War 2. Then after these timelines there is a glossary of the terms that she uses in the book. The timelines specifically feel like a great educational resource because a teacher can utilize these to show how certain events in Bitton-Jackson's life goes against what is happening in the war at that particular point. I felt that this would be a great tool for educators. ( )
  SoulFlower1981 | Jan 20, 2016 |
ADD, BIO, INF
  prichter | Aug 4, 2015 |
Recommended by Jennifer Q.
  RhondaHoward | Jul 28, 2015 |
Special features: Appendix A: Our Family During the Holocaust – Chronicle of Events, Appendix B: Highlights of Holocaust Chronology, and a Glossary of Terms our all located at the end of the book.
An internet search will lead you to various lesson plan and project ideas, and reading guides.
  Jquimbey | Jul 11, 2015 |
This memoir is about being Jewish in Czechoslovakia in the 1940s as more and more freedoms and possessions are removed from the Jews until they are finally shipped to Auschwitz. There are so many details here that I'd never heard of before. The Stars of David they had to wear could not be pinned to their clothing, they had to be sewn on with little stitches, so her mother sewed them on all their jackets and left their other clothes without. After they'd been transported to the ghetto, with the initial reduction in their belongs, they were then made to bring the authorities all their books, documents and photographs. When one woman tried to keep a little picture of her baby and was not allowed, she asked if she would get it back after the war. "Oh, yes" she was assured, "of course you'll get it back." Then the whole pile of belonging was burned in front of their owners. In the camp they were shaved not only of the hair on their heads but also of their underarm and pubic hair. They were not allowed inside the buildings during the day, so they had to keep their bald little bodies outside in the blazing sun. Bitton-Jackson was blond, blue eyed, and very fair. She burned so bad her face blistered all over. Again nothing I would have thought of. The book doesn't try to horrify with scenes of torture, the day to day life was quite horrific enough. ( )
  Citizenjoyce | Nov 21, 2014 |
Dedicated to the children of Israel who, unsung and unacclaimed, risk their lives every day just by traveling to school on the roads of Judea, Samaria, and Gaza, for the sake of a secure peace in Israel - the only guarantee that a Holocaust will never happen again.
LJCRS Book Fair Selection 5758
I dream of enrolling in the prep school in Budapest, the capital city.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0689823959, Mass Market Paperback)

The author, who was imprisoned in Auschwitz as a teenager, describes her terrible experiences as one of the camp's few adolescent inmates and the miraculous twists of fates that enabled her to survive.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:53 -0400)

The author describes her experiences during World War II when she and her family were sent to the Nazi death camp at Auschwitz.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,097,436 books! | Top bar: Always visible