I Have Lived a Thousand Years: Growing up in…

I Have Lived a Thousand Years: Growing up in the Holocaust (1997)

by Livia Bitton-Jackson

This book is a very gripping read. There are no words to explain - you just have to read it yourself and digest.

Back Cover Blurb:
What is death all about?
What is life all about?
So wonders thirteen-year-old Ellie Friedmann, just one of the many innocent Holocaust victims, as she fights for her life in a concentration camp. It wasn't long ago that Elli led a normal life; a life rich and full that included family, friends. school, and thoughts about boys. A life in which Elli could lie and daydream for hours that she was a beautiful and elegant celebrated poet.
But these adolescent daydreams quickly darken in March 1944, when the Nazis invade Hungary. First Elli can no longer attend school, have possessions, or talk to her neighbours. Then she and her family are forced to leave their house behind to move into a crowded ghetto, where privacy becomes a luxury of the past and food becomes a scarcity. Her strong will and faith allow Elli to manage and adjust somehow, but what Elli doesn't know is that this is only the beginning and the worst is yet to come...... ( )
  mazda502001 | Jul 26, 2016 |
This is an autobiography book because it's narrator is the girl herself, Ellie Friendmann talking about her experience during the Holocaust as a 13 year old girl. She gives very descriptive detail about how quickly her life changed and how much it affected herself and her family. I could use this book to discuss the Holocaust in class and how it has affected history. Another way I could use this is to talk about geography and where Germany is in the world. There is no media in this book. ( )
  bcasey14 | Apr 15, 2016 |
I wouldn't state that this was one of my favorite books that I have read recently about the Holocaust, but I would state it is the one that was able to draw out some emotions in myself. It reminded me of some of my own experiences in life, which helped me to understand this particular era in a more profound way than I had before reading it. I had to ultimately realize that the writing style of this book was geared towards a younger audience than myself because that was my main gripe with it that it felt like she was dumbing down certain aspects of her story and also she ended a lot of chapters overly dramatically, which caused one to question how she would deal with the tragedies she was sure to face later on in the book since one is usually aware that this is about the Holocaust and those horrible events.

While I didn't totally appreciate this particular book I do find myself wanting to read her other two books that deal with her life after this period. I feel that it would be fascinating to know what happened to her once she left the camp and also when she came to America. I am sure she had a vastly different perspective than we have currently in our society, so those will be interesting to read. This book is a good lead into those two other books, since not many books about the Holocaust deal with the effects of after it.

I believe Livia Bitton-Jackson created a book that would also be good for teachers that are trying to help students learn about this time period because the book contains two separate appendixes that are timelines. The first timeline is of the events in her own individual life and the second is a timeline of the events in World War 2. Then after these timelines there is a glossary of the terms that she uses in the book. The timelines specifically feel like a great educational resource because a teacher can utilize these to show how certain events in Bitton-Jackson's life goes against what is happening in the war at that particular point. I felt that this would be a great tool for educators. ( )
  SoulFlower1981 | Jan 20, 2016 |
ADD, BIO, INF
  prichter | Aug 4, 2015 |
Recommended by Jennifer Q.
  RhondaHoward | Jul 28, 2015 |
Dedicated to the children of Israel who, unsung and unacclaimed, risk their lives every day just by traveling to school on the roads of Judea, Samaria, and Gaza, for the sake of a secure peace in Israel - the only guarantee that a Holocaust will never happen again.
LJCRS Book Fair Selection 5758
I dream of enrolling in the prep school in Budapest, the capital city.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0689823959, Mass Market Paperback)

The author, who was imprisoned in Auschwitz as a teenager, describes her terrible experiences as one of the camp's few adolescent inmates and the miraculous twists of fates that enabled her to survive.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:53 -0400)

The author describes her experiences during World War II when she and her family were sent to the Nazi death camp at Auschwitz.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,169,398 books! | Top bar: Always visible