Playing for Keeps by Joan Lowery Nixon

Playing for Keeps

by Joan Lowery Nixon

912132,676 (3)3

Picked this up as part of collecting mysteries that use bridge, but it doesn't. Sixteen-year-old Rose is invited by her grandmother to join her on a cruise on which grandma is playing bridge. While grandma tries to fix Rose up with fellow teen Neil, she also meets Ricky, who is trying to get to the US from Cuba to seek asylum. Ricky is accused of murdering the man who helped him get from Cuba to Haiti. Rose feels she has to get involved and find a way to help Ricky.

A lightweight mystery with a decent portrayal of teen angst and conflicting feelings. The writing is competent and the [plot moves along quickly. ( )
  Jim53 | Aug 18, 2010 |
This mystery will appeal more to YAs than to adults and I suppose that's not so shocking since Nixon is a much appreciated YA author according to my YA text. The story kept me reading and was enjoyable, but it's not a great piece of literature. It was a fun read and had a couple of twists that thew me and I like keeping my eye out for the important details of mysteries, but it didn't leave me thinking about the meaning of life too much (unlike _A Long Way Gone_, _The White Darkness_, _Day of Tears_ and some others read for this course.) I suppose this is why mysteries have never been my favorite genre. They're usually entertaining, but don't do too much for me in the grand scheme of things. I did appreciate (connect with) the mother/daughter relationship between Rosie (Rose) and her mother. Even though the mother wasn't physically present for most of the story, she was "present" with her daughter in her thoughts so much of the time. I think that good mothers have a presence in their children's lives even when they aren't physically present. (Maybe I'm wrong about this???) ( )
  turbobks | Jun 28, 2008 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440228670, Mass Market Paperback)

Rosie can’t believe her good luck. Her grandmother, Glory, needs a last-minute roommate for a cruise to the Caribbean. Glory doesn’t really need a companion–she’s eager for Rosie to meet her friend’s grandson, Neil, a brainy guy full of facts about baseball. Once Rosie is aboard the ship, though, someone else catches her eye–a boy her own age, who introduces himself as Ricky Diago. But after the ship sails, Rosie only sees Ricky’s uncle, Mr. Diago. What’s even stranger is that Neil could swear that Mr. Diago is actually a famous Cuban baseball player for the Cincinnati Reds. Then after a day’s excursion, Rosie is approached by another boy who claims he’s Ricky Diago. She’s certain he’s not the person she met before. Suddenly Rosie finds herself caught in a high-stakes adventure of international intrigue with life-or-death consequences. Who is the real Ricky Diago? And how far is Rosie willing to go to help him?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:16 -0400)

Rose Ann can't believe her good luck. Her grandmother, Glory, needs a last-minute roommate for her bridge-tournament cruise to the Caribbean. But Glory doesn't really need a companion. She's eager for Rosie to meet her friend's grandson, Neil. Once Rosie is aboard the ship, though, someone else catches her eye--a boy her own age, who introduces himself as Ricky Diago. But after the ship sails, something doesn't seem quite right. Rosie sees Ricky's uncle, Mr. Diago, but not Ricky. Even stranger, Neil swears that Mr. Diago is actually a famous Cuban baseball player from the Cincinnati Reds. When Rosie is approached by another boy who claims he's Ricky Diago, she finds herself caught in a high-stakes game of international intrigue with life-or-death consequences. Who is the real Ricky Diago? And how far will Rosie go to help him?-- P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,727,732 books! | Top bar: Always visible